Search similar:

uniqs
netlaw
join:2010-11-02

netlaw

Belkin Pre-N F5D8230 drops internet for 30secs to 5 mins

We have a Belkin Pre-N F5D8230-4 (Firmware 1.01.03
Boot Version 2.01.08)

It has worked fine for the 18m since we bought it.

Recently it has started dropping off the internet for between 30 seconds and 5 minutes (very usually about 4 minutes).

Evidenced on all 3 apple Macbooks and also the iMac we have as well as two Windows XP netbook machines.

Watching on router interface shows internet connected then during drop-offs "No internet Connection" - then "Internet Connected" resumes all on its own. Having (embarrasingly) screamed blue murder at the ISPs, they came round and tested it in front of me - and demonstrated conslusively that when the router interface is reporting No Internet connection, a direct connection to the cable modem does have internet connection, thus meaning it is the Router.

It has been reset to factory default and this makes no difference.

- The problem arises whether we have security mode disabled or use WPA -PSK (home environment so other options not applicable).
- The problem arises whether we have AES or TKIP encryption.
- Turning on UPnP or not makes no difference.

It is therefore clear that the Apple computers are seeing and connecting to the Pre-N but the Pre-N is incorrectly reporting no internet connection and that this occurs intermittently for 30 seconds to 5 minutes and then without anyone touching anything, it resumes. Occurs every 10 minutes or so - sometimes more often than others and no predictable pattern.

changing channels makes no difference.

If you leave web-pages trying - they will suddenly download when the connection comes back after the 30 seconds to 5 minutes.

Watching the 192.168.1.1 interface by simple refreshes ever 15 seconds, shows
- No Internet Connection
- No Internet Connection
- No Internet Connection
- No Internet Connection
- No Internet Connection
- Internet Connected

Any ideas anyone - other than a sledge hammer and an application of gravity?

Thanks in anticipation of someone showing me that a) I'm stupid or
b) They're a lot smarter than me!
supergeeky
join:2003-05-09
United State

supergeeky

Since it sounds that you've already ruled out the ISP connection is not what's failing...

My only suggestion is could you set the router's WAN port to 100Mbps Full, or 10Mbps Full, rather than Auto? Tried a new patch cord between the router and the ISP's device?

...if none of that works I'd guess the router is defective