uniqs
share rss forum feed

mcgeady

join:2001-01-12
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

ISDN Install to improve voice quality?

I have a vacation house in a semi-rural area, about 3.5mi from the CO. I have voice and DSL, but the voice quality and the DSL rates have been steadily declining over the years, probably due to degradation of the lines. The local-yokel telco (CenturyTel, now CenturyLink, and probably merging with someone else by now) won't do anything about the voice or DSL quality.

On the other hand, about a decade ago (at another place), I discovered that the telco would put in a DSL line, then you could cancel it a month later, and you'd have a lovely, conditioned, straight copper circuit to the telco. Since it was a tariff service, they had to install it on request. It cost me $100 or more, but it solved my problem in that case (which was that I was on a digitally multiplexed line and couldn't get DSL).

Does anyone have an opinion about whether getting an ISDN line installed, then canceled, is a good way to improve overall line quality?

n4bkn

join:2003-12-11
Memphis, TN

said by mcgeady See ProfileDoes anyone have an opinion about whether getting an ISDN line installed, then canceled, is a good way to improve overall line quality?[/BQUOTE :

Unless you can readily use the ISDN line (you have a terminal adapter on hand to connect your analog phone to), I'd try ordering a second POTS+DSL line. Then, after a week or three, have the poorer/slower one disconnected.

ruraltn

join:2008-05-16

ISDN lines don't require conditioning. I have ISDN on an unconditioned line. They did have to install a couple of ISDN repeaters to get it out here.

If you can afford the ISDN tariff wherever you are located, why not just order the service and keep it. We get two crystal clear voice lines for $50 a month. We would pay more for two POTS lines. Plus, we can use it for 128K Internet access should our primary access go down.

keason
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..

It you want good voice quality, ISDN is about as good as it gets. No hickups, dropouts, or problems but it's expensive. It's acceptably slow as an internet connection (like dial-up, but with low latency and 4x dial-up speed)

Good quality VoIP with a good terminal adapter is just as good as ISDN if you have low jitter.

I've also had very good luck with Sprint's Airrave femtocell adaptor with a good internet circuit.

POTS is the worst quality unless you lose power frequently.