share rss forum feed

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

[request] Revert qreply

I humbly submit you revert qreply back to the old pop-up.

The new version has a number of downsides:
•Cannot drag because there's no window/popup
•You click on qreply button on the left and even on ~1000px wide browser window, your mouse has to travel quite a bit just to get to the post box.
•It doesn't look good.
•For those habitual "tabbers" it's now three tab presses to hit reply.

I know I'll still use the new qreply, it's just... not a step forward IMO.
--
"And Tehuno said let there be haste, not mp5, and there was haste. All creatures of the world rejoiced." -WotLK Ch. 3.3.2

brian
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Lake Forest, CA

Re: Revert qreply

*sign*

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2
reply to drew

Plus it's got a weird bug that will clear out your text if the thread is updated while the box is open.

»Quick reply text is cleared if topic update

*sign*
--
DSLR Mafia
My Blog - Raising Connor
WoW: Mal'Ganis : Aftershock : Krimdal

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
join:2002-10-11
Tyrinaria
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to drew

Edit - removed *sign* due to this being fixed.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
reply to drew

so putting focus in the field and suspending topic update while typing would address the problem..

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

Wouldn't solve the issue of:

•Tab order
•The odd UI flow requiring me to press a button below the post box to quote.
•How my eye has to travel across the screen from right to left rather than appearing where one would expect.

Those two things would mitigate some of the problems, however I'm not a huge fan of the new change in terms of usability, etc. It seems to fly in the face of your prior attempts at modernizing and standardizing the rest of the site. May I inquire as to the reasoning behind the change?

I want to make it perfectly clear I'm not throwing a hissy fit. Do what you want.

Edit to add: I do like the way you append the reply to the post. That is cool, however.
--
"And Tehuno said let there be haste, not mp5, and there was haste. All creatures of the world rejoiced." -WotLK Ch. 3.3.2

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC

said by drew:

I want to make it perfectly clear I'm not throwing a hissy fit. Do what you want.
Uh huh...
--
My Blog - Raising Connor Updated - 11/03/10

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet
reply to drew

I'm happy to move the 'qreply' button from its current position, to the beginning of the list of links below a post.
But I think that would generate 10 complaints about the position change.
Having the quote button next to the other operations seemed neater to me, vs having it alone on top. but I suppose you think otherwise.

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC

Can you flip it, so that it appears to the bottom right corner?

And, just while I'm at it

* you might put the order of buttons as:
Reply, Quote, Cancel (and I would actually give cancel a button instead of a link)
--
My Blog - Raising Connor Updated - 11/03/10

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to justin

Neater, yes, but it doesn't match the flow. Maybe it's a "get used to it" deal, but it strikes me as backwards. I don't often use software/etc that has me go to the bottom of the form to then input something on the top. Just a thought.

Can you consider right-aligning the box instead of left?
--

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to drew

First, I don't want to start a new thread for this but justin, you can certainly move it to one if you wish. Second, this may be a work in progress and something you're already aware of...

Anyway, when using the quick-reply and auto-quote, I was attempting to backspace out some non-relevant text (sorry, I don't quote an entire post unless appropriate), the cursor kept jumping to the end, i.e. behind the [ /bquote ] tag. I'd then delete the ']' character or 'e]' if I wasn't paying enough attention.

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
reply to drew

*sign*

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
reply to Hall

Using which browser?
I can't duplicate that in all the browsers I have available here. You mean: just hit quote then keep hitting backspace in the middle of the quoted block, and the cursor jumps to the end of the text all by itself?

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

said by justin:

Using which browser?
When I posted it, I was using Firefox 3.6.something (updated in last few days) on Mac OS X 10.6.something (latest also, updated in the past couple of weeks).

Something odd just triggered it again. Above, when I typed "When I posted it...", the text "When I post" displayed, then the cursor jumped to behind the 'bquote' tag and "ed i" showed up before I stopped. I type fast. I'm on FF 3.6.12 on XP now.

I'll try and narrow it down...

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to justin

said by justin:

Using which browser?
I can't duplicate that in all the browsers I have available here. You mean: just hit quote then keep hitting backspace in the middle of the quoted block, and the cursor jumps to the end of the text all by itself?
Hah ! I am duplicating it. Let me try and give the steps...

- hit 'qreply' then 'quote'
- use (left) arrow key to move cursor past the 'bquote' tag
- when past it, now use the backspace key (using this post as example, up to "itself?"
- when you get to the "?", it should jump to other side (right) of the 'bquote' tag

Dersgniw
Disco Crunchin
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-10
behind you
kudos:4
reply to drew

It happens when the box resizes itself. Perhaps don't resize the box smaller, only larger?

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to justin

said by justin:

Here's a video of it. You'll see the cursor jump to the end and think nothing of it, but imagine you're planning to delete/backspace more. Most people will hold down the key and then it will jump to the end and delete the tag.

Damn, can't attach a file using quick-reply

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

downloaddslr.swf.zip 1,682,890 bytes
Here

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
reply to drew

It is a firefox bug .. when jQuery does an "animation", which happens when you are typing, firefox loses track of the caret position and then it re-appears but now at the end.

So .. no animations for firefox users.

Turbocpe
Premium
join:2001-12-22
IA
reply to drew

I kinda did like the old popup as it seemed to have some updated features (such as window expanding when typing a long message - or was that just the IM window?). However, the "inline" qreply does look cleaner. Popups seem kind of outdated.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

This inline pop-up does expand as well.

ok it didn't for the last hour while I was getting into that firefox bug with animated expansions but it does again now

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA
kudos:1
reply to drew

RESOUNDING SIGN

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

Another MafiaWars participant.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
USA

idd

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to justin

said by justin:

I don't play MafiaWars. Is that why I am not seeing any qreply problems?

(Rhetorical question, so answering is optional).
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 11.3; firefox 3.6.12

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
USA

Mafia players are people too

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet
reply to nwrickert

I think there are no bugs with it now but whether a pop up or inline is better is a matter of taste.

I have a feeling that if we just went from inline for years to pop up there would be complaints that (for example) after a quick reply there was no sign of the reply, and the move window and close window icons were too small and why can't I resize the popup to arbitrary width (etc).

my view is these auto expanding textareas are better so the bottom line is better either way than it was a week ago.

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to justin

said by justin:

I've not sent out a "call" for anyone to come post here, FWIW.

You can blame the /forums/buddies page that has a list of your friends' most recent threads. Most of us have each other "friended" on DSLR to watch movements easier.

Also, it's Mafia, not that dumbass flash facebook game.
--

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to justin

said by justin:

why can't I resize the popup to arbitrary width (etc).
Chrome could (can?).

I'm not horribly upset. Just a state preference for the prior version.

I imagine I'll get used to the new version, but at a first glance, I'm not impressed.

Not the end of the world, though.
--

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
reply to drew

I wasn't thinking anyone did. I can imagine a specific topic use might well favor a pop up.