uniqs

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

Lack of competition in broadband, Get out of here!

There is competition IF you want it. Here is options for some people.

-Top Picks-
Cable, probably one ISP
DSL, probably one ISP
Fiber (if possible), probably one ISP

-The other ones-
Satellite, Hughes and Wild Blue
3G Wireless, AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, sprint
4G Wireless, Sprint, Clear
Other wireless, Like mom and pop shops

Most people would pick from the top if possible. If you cant get any of those, theres always wireless. Some people might not like it due to its wireless, not always reliable, and high latency but hey, its broadband. Faster then dial up

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

1 edit

2 recommendations

Karl Bode

News Guy

Oh good, we're using old FCC logic. So many people will be glad to know they secretly have the choice of 7-8 ISPs.

3G and 4G aren't real home choices as the industry is moving toward incredibly low and punitive caps.

Meanwhile, Hughes and Wild Blue are to broadband as Lindsay Lohan is to acting.

Most people have the choice of overpriced DSL or overpriced cable -- and that's if they're lucky.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

They might be some sucky ISP's mostly known for their caps but its better then nothing I guess and people do have a choice, well a limited choice. But dont get me wrong, I would love to have a landline anyday and get rid of my wireless.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to Duramax08

to Duramax08
Just because you may have alternative choices does not mean competition and you showed us the prime example there.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

said by Skippy25:

Just because you may have alternative choices does not mean competition and you showed us the prime example there.
I hear ya. Thought Id just throw that info out there.

TuxRaiderPen
A Warm Embrace
join:2009-06-02
Outer Rim

TuxRaiderPen to Duramax08

to Duramax08
If ISP's were equal in service (and they're not), then you can pull out the choices act. 1.54 Mbps DSL is not the same as 12 Mbps Cable... If they were equal in service & price, then you can say there's options...

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Duramax08

Premium Member

to Duramax08
Ultimately Levin decided to spend more time using the plan to focusing on digital literacy than competition -- but the problem is that without tackling competition, improving literacy means nothing if users can't afford the service.
If it comes down to AFFORDING the service, there are better things the Feds can be doing with their billions of dollars. Like making sure that more, higher paying jobs stay in the U.S. instead by enforcing WTO rules with Asian countries like China & India. And making sure the tax code doesn't reward companies sending jobs overseas. I'd prefer the billions be spent enforcing our existing trade laws instead of ignoring them.
nasadude
join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD

nasadude to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
actually, if you're lucky you have a choice of overpriced fiber

fg8578
join:2009-04-26
San Antonio, TX

fg8578 to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
So the answer is to demand that telcos and cablecos invest all the money while letting their competitors share in the rewards?

Wow, Title II much?

coldmoon
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
Fulton, NY

1 recommendation

coldmoon to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:
Ultimately Levin decided to spend more time using the plan to focusing on digital literacy than competition -- but the problem is that without tackling competition, improving literacy means nothing if users can't afford the service.
If it comes down to AFFORDING the service, there are better things the Feds can be doing with their billions of dollars. Like making sure that more, higher paying jobs stay in the U.S. instead by enforcing WTO rules with Asian countries like China & India. And making sure the tax code doesn't reward companies sending jobs overseas. I'd prefer the billions be spent enforcing our existing trade laws instead of ignoring them.
If you really want to see more jobs created and the economy start moving again, you need to deal with the infrastructure. In the 50's it was the Interstate Highway system; in the 21st century it is the Information Highway. Those countries you protest against in your reply are spending the money to improve theirs. So the real question you need to ask yourself is whether you really want the US to lead or become the new third world swamp it is turning into...

JMHO
Mike

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to nasadude

MVM

to nasadude
said by nasadude:

actually, if you're lucky you have a choice of overpriced fiber
I haven't found fiber to be over priced at all.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to fg8578

to fg8578
said by fg8578:

So the answer is to demand that telcos and cablecos invest all the money while letting their competitors share in the rewards?

Wow, Title II much?
The rewards of what? Collecting monopoly rent on infrastructure partly subsidized by the public? Right of ways, tax breaks, a police force that prevents violent retaliation, a court of law that enables the telcos to crush viable competitors- these are all freebies given to corporations.

No corporation has a right to profit, and if Title II makes it easier for competitors to make a profit and build their own network (like Free.fr in France), ultimately lowering prices and benefiting consumers, then it's obvious Title II needs to be enacted.

fg8578
join:2009-04-26
San Antonio, TX

fg8578

If you think right of way is free, that makes the rest of your comments suspect.

jazzlady
join:2005-08-04
Tannersville, PA

jazzlady to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
said by Karl Bode:

Oh good, we're using old FCC logic. So many people will be glad to know they secretly have the choice of 7-8 ISPs.

Most people have the choice of overpriced DSL or overpriced cable -- and that's if they're lucky.
You're right.

Here are my choices- Verizon 1.5 Mbps DSL.

Cable- which I have. 15/2, $55 a month, with a 50 GB monthly cap.

Wow. Glad I have so much to choose from... :-(