uniqs
share rss forum feed

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

Sprint 3G Speed Has Dropped Into The Toilet

From July 2009 to September 28, 2010, my Sprint Mobile Broadband 3G connection worked very well, with a download average speed of 900k and an average upload speed of 700k.

But on September 28th the speed dropped to 300bps. No, not kbps, bps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously that is unusable and most web pages won't load.

Sprint has claimed for five weeks that they are "researching" the problem, but they never call me; I always have to call them. And they have yet to give me any concrete info, let alone a timetable for repair.

I am in midtown Manhattan, New York City, and I am SURROUNDED by towers.

Anyone have any ideas about just what the frig goes on here? Thanks!

cbobby

join:2009-06-14
New Windsor, MD
Sprint had transformed itself into a Bank Holding company allowing it to borrow at 0.0000001% and also take a piece of the $600bln FED largess announced yesterday. They have opened a trading room and will no longer spend any time/capital/personnel on upgrading their network. Most executives have already committed most of their bonuses to a down payment on several private islands in Pacific, as the stock price is sure to rise.

ChuckIL9

join:2005-11-07
Peoria, IL

2 edits
reply to criggs
I've had the same problem here in Peoria, IL. I have a great EVDO rev A signal, but for the last month and a half, my download speeds are around 8000 baud (upload is fine). My calls to customer service are less than satisfactory. They put in a ticket, say they'll call me back and never do. The next week I call for an update on the ticket and say they can't find any ticket. I had some response by emailing dan@sprint.com. An agent called and e-mailed me direct contact info, we conferenced in a tower support person, but they don't seem to have an answer either (other than the tower not performing correctly and they have no idea when it might be fixed). I got a credit of $25 on my last bill (which was less then I was seeking). I've had this service for a little over a year, and everything was fine up until the last month and a half.

Reply from Sprint support after e-mailing dan@sprint.com:

Thank you for speaking with me today. I apologize for the inconvenience
you are experiencing due to our tower performing at low performance. The
purpose of this email is to recap our conversation.

We conducted a conference call today with our advance technical support
team. We spoke with Rod who advised that they have mark the tower as
performing below 50%. At this time, we do not have an expected date that
the tower will be fixed. He advised that they mark the location with the
issue and the technicians are working on the issue. As agreed, I will
continue to follow up with you regarding the tower until we have a final
result.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Yep, this is exactly what is happening to me, repeated phone calls with various Sprint reps, sympathetic clucking about it, promises to follow up and get back to me, and then --

-- nothing. I wait three or four days, then call them back and we go on the same merry-go-round all over again, after which nothing again.

And so it's gone for 5 weeks. One nice difference: at least they've given me full credit for October, but that's about it. Other than that, the experience is identical.

If this is happening around the nation it's hard to believe they don't know what's going on. That raises the unpleasant but distinctly likely possibility not only that they know but that they're hiding what they know. In other words, they know very well what's causing this but, for some reason, Sprint has decided to hide from their customers the real reason for these new highly localized dead pockets.

Pulsar

@ford.com
Dealing with issues in Michigan for the last week as well. Speeds are fine - in fact better than I've seen them in a long time: unless you want to go to specific websites. Google is unresolvable, as in any page using PHP, Bing etc. Dogpile is working, but other sites are not. Sometimes the whole thing just grinds to a halt. Same results with 4 different laptops in 3 significantly different locations (25+ miles apart).

Same result on a call in: all is well, it must be on your end.

Normally I'd agree with that suggestion, except I've been running now for 2+ years without any issues on "my end" - and multiple computers having the same problem on multiple towers tells me that something doesn't add up on THEIR end.

pivonka571

join:2005-02-03
La Crosse, KS

2 edits
reply to criggs
In my case the severe degradation of service occurred (as it seemed at the time) just after an update of the software supporting the service.

The degradation occurred in September (I do not have a record of the exact date). I had excellent service in locations in Long Island, NY, and across the Eastern US to my home in Kansas throughout August and early September. After the software change the service in Kansas went all to hell. The service across the Western US and in California has not varied much from the new, degraded, norm since then.

I do not believe this is a "tower" problem. I am persuaded by these observations that it is a software problem. Either our services are being metered, or the software is interfering with the delivery of services due to bad programming, IMO.

Edited to provide current speeds, Petaluma Palo Alto CA. Remarkably, this is the first such test since mid to late September which produced results similar to those I was getting from June through August. Back to "normal"?

New test at indicated time. More typical of recent degraded performance.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Pulsar
said by Pulsar :

Speeds are fine - in fact better than I've seen them in a long time: unless you want to go to specific websites. Google is unresolvable, as in any page using PHP, Bing etc. Dogpile is working, but other sites are not. Sometimes the whole thing just grinds to a halt.
Gotta say that doesn't sound like the same issue, though it may be the same cause and simply manifest itself differently in different environments.

pivonka571

La Crosse, KS
reply to Pulsar
said by Pulsar :

Dealing with issues in Michigan for the last week as well. Speeds are fine - in fact better than I've seen them in a long time: unless you want to go to specific websites. Google is unresolvable, as in any page using PHP, Bing etc. Dogpile is working, but other sites are not. Sometimes the whole thing just grinds to a halt. Same results with 4 different laptops in 3 significantly different locations (25+ miles apart).

Same result on a call in: all is well, it must be on your end.

Normally I'd agree with that suggestion, except I've been running now for 2+ years without any issues on "my end" - and multiple computers having the same problem on multiple towers tells me that something doesn't add up on THEIR end.
This description is not incompatible with Denial of Service attacks against the sites or against Spring facilities used in providing access to them. If Sprint is suffering DoS attacks, they might either not be able to isolate them, or to fix them; that might make them reluctant to talk about them.

It does seem clear that some deep analysis of the character and timing of the service degradation is needed.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to pivonka571
said by pivonka571:

The degradation occurred in September (I do not have a record of the exact date).
Well, my degradation sure happened in September. I remember the exact date, Tuesday, September 28th. I put the computer to bed the night before around 1AM Eastern time and all was well. When I fired it back up the next morning at 10AM Eastern time the download speed was in the mud, and has remained there ever since, not even able to load web pages most of the time. It has been precisely six weeks now that my service has been unusable; outrageous.

said by pivonka571:

The service across the Western US and in California has not varied much from the new, degraded, norm since then.
Interesting; in my case I am seeing very sharp variations in quality from location to location. While I have yet to see any location which is operating properly (that is, in spec, at 600k or higher download and 350k or higher upload), there are definitely some locations which seem less hard hit than others.

said by pivonka571:

I do not believe this is a "tower" problem. I am persuaded by these observations that it is a software problem. Either our services are being metered, or the software is interfering with the delivery of services due to bad programming, IMO.
This makes A LOT OF SENSE to me. Every time they've told me "it's a tower problem, and that should fix it" and then gone on to fix the tower, my problem has remained unchanged. It is obviously NOT a tower problem. It is equally obvious that they are either terminally dumb and will always tilt at the tower windmill, or they've been told to lie through the teeth and pretend it's a tower problem.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to pivonka571
said by pivonka571:

Edited to provide current speeds, Petaluma Palo Alto CA. Remarkably, this is the first such test since mid to late September which produced results similar to those I was getting from June through August. Back to "normal"?

After I read your addendum, I connected again to the Sprint 3G (for the most part, I'm using a neighbor's WiFi, and then only when he gives me permission, which is about two to three hours a day; this is sheer hell), hoping the nightmare might be over. It wasn't. No download or upload speed; just timeouts. Still unusable. This is disgraceful.

joeam
Got any bugs?

join:2005-02-27
Saint Clair, MI
reply to criggs
I've been experiencing service problems too, since around mid October. Others in this area of Michigan have been too. It seems to be time related here, at least on week days.

I got a graph of it using an in game connection monitor. Copies are on my review. When the connection is normal I can monitor the connection, monitor my usage, and see other people come on and off the connection. Then when the problem strikes, bandwidth just dissapears while ping times go through the roof and speeds drop into the basement. This isn't the first time its happened around here, but now I have the ability to view it in real time. It looks like something just suddenly usurps all available resources.

It effects both my phone and computer, though the phone will usually get through some how. Possibly by connecting to another tower.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by joeam:

When the connection is normal I can monitor the connection, monitor my usage, and see other people come on and off the connection. Then when the problem strikes, bandwidth just dissapears while ping times go through the roof and speeds drop into the basement.
Almost certainly this is a coincidence and not the same problem.

First, in my case, there is no such thing as the connection going back and forth from normal to screwed up. Unbelievably slow it became on the morning of Tuesday, September 28th, and unbelievably slow it has been ever since.

In addition, ping speeds have actually remained quite normal throughout this crisis, averaging between 100 and 150 ms, pretty much exactly where it has been since July 2009.

Lestat077

join:2001-11-13
reply to criggs
I got say my speed has been bad as well in the last month, I have a 82 signal and my dcr request is at 8 to 10 but have 32 packet error rate, cant seem to get lower packet error.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by Lestat077:

I got say my speed has been bad as well in the last month
How's your upload speed been? In my case, as well as two people on this forum, Egroll in Ohio and Brad Houser in California, our upload speed has been operating properly most of the time through the worst of the degraded download service, suggesting a specific and unusual cause for this problem that usually DOES NOT AFFECT upload speeds. I'm pretty convinced that that fact will provide an eventual key to solving the problem (assuming the providers WANT this problem to be solved).

Lestat077

reply to criggs
Its not to bad if you seen where I live. my internet is a hit and miss every day. But like I said in the last few months its been really bad. Most the time I have been getting like ..08 to .15 on up. and down has been in low .20 or some times just about the same as my up.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by Lestat077:

Most the time I have been getting like ..08 to .15 on up. and down has been in low .20 or some times just about the same as my up.
Well, you're still getting >dialup speeds, so it looks like yours is not the same problem.

ChuckIL9

join:2005-11-07
Peoria, IL
reply to ChuckIL9
Well, it's been a couple weeks since my last conversation with the sprint rep, and still...nothing. Download speeds never are above 32K, upload is still fine. Tried calling the rep back a couple times and I always get her voice mail. Left a message...still waiting.

pivonka571

La Crosse, KS
reply to criggs
I've really no idea what I am talking about here, but I wonder:
Have you, or can you, reset your modem to its factory defaults and reinstall it as if it were new? Somehow it seems as if your modem's processing of the signal, and not the signal itself must be the problem.

My concern that there may have been a series of bad updates to Sprint modems in September has me afraid to click the "Tools>Check for updates now" line in Smartview; if there is a way for you to revert your modem it might be worth a shot.

Lestat077

reply to criggs
With the masterlock code, you can do ##rpr# and that will clean up modem, Now I have had trouble before and use that, reboot then once windows back up pull modem then reboot again and pop modem back in, it will start working good again. But in the last month or so nothing is helping my problems.

Do the ##rpr# on the sprint smartview over the connect button.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
As for the RPR function, I've frankly lost track of how many times I've done it. Keep in mind that I've been on the phone with Sprint Technical Support almost 40 hours since this problem hit. We've done just about everything but reinstall Windows.

Keep in mind that the RPR procedure assumes that it is the modem, rather than the network in the neighborhood, that is in trouble. But that assumption itself can far more easily be tested by bringing a second laptop and modem to the location for a comparison check.

This is exactly what they did when an almost exactly similar problem with my upload speeds hit me last year, I believe in June. After ()_-+"';: around for two weeks, someone got smart and sent someone right to my apartment. Two days later he had it fixed.

I've been pleading with them for over SEVEN WEEKS for them to do the same here, but so far I've been talking to a brick wall.

I was very surprised, by the way, that one of you were actually gien direct phone contact info by one of the reps. NO ONE has agreed to do anything of the sort for me.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
said by criggs:

Keep in mind that the RPR procedure assumes that it is the modem, rather than the network in the neighborhood, that is in trouble. But that assumption itself can far more easily be tested by bringing a second laptop and modem to the location for a comparison check.

This is exactly what they did when an almost exactly similar problem with my upload speeds hit me last year, I believe in June. After ()_-+"';: around for two weeks, someone got smart and sent someone right to my apartment. Two days later he had it fixed.
Try another unit in you neighborhood, then move both units to another location. This will help confirm the problem is with your hardware or your location. This is what I had to do, but I posted my complaint to a web page complaint form that is no longer available. My complaint was forwarded to the proper department, two days later everything magically started working.

If all you do is call CS, they will read off a script and keep escalating to others with different scripts, but no script involves sending the complaint for a field survey.
--
standard disclaimers apply.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Well, since the web complaint form is no longer available, I suppose that closes off that alternative route.

I've occasionally thought of doing an end run and call Sprint's corporate hq directly. Of course, that assumes I can obtain their number and that they would be any more helpful than tech support.