All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa to wizdum

to wizdum

Re: [ME] New wireless broadband provider in Maine 25mbit/25mbit!

said by wizdum:

...each user will have 25mbit/25mbit dedicated to them (no sharing)...
Again, I don't know what you are basing that on because everything I read talks about "up to" speeds and subs will be sharing an AP.
wizdum
join:2006-11-17
Bangor, ME

wizdum

said by LLigetfa:

said by wizdum:

...each user will have 25mbit/25mbit dedicated to them (no sharing)...
Again, I don't know what you are basing that on because everything I read talks about "up to" speeds and subs will be sharing an AP.
Sorry I didn't make this clear. I am speaking to a Redzone representative directly through email and via phone, thats where I got the latency information, the idea that they are using client radios made by Ubiquity that cost $150, and the information that the connections wont be shared. The "up to" on their site is referring to signal loss due to weather and line of sight issues.
LLigetfa
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

said by wizdum:

...and the information that the connections wont be shared...
Again, with this "shared" thing. I don't know know what your definition and their definition of "shared" is.

I'm very certain that subs will be sharing an AP. They will be sharing a backhaul. How many subs will share an AP is uncertain as is the backhaul capacity. WISPS in this price category would almost certainly be oversubscribing, counting on all subs to not be consuming 25/25 at the same time. What ratio is of this over-subscription is unknown but I would stop short of claiming it not to be shared.
wizdum
Bangor, ME

wizdum

said by LLigetfa:

said by wizdum:

Again, with this "shared" thing. I don't know know what your definition and their definition of "shared" is.

I'm very certain that subs will be sharing an AP. They will be sharing a backhaul. How many subs will share an AP is uncertain as is the backhaul capacity. WISPS in this price category would almost certainly be oversubscribing, counting on all subs to not be consuming 25/25 at the same time. What ratio is of this over-subscription is unknown but I would stop short of claiming it not to be shared.
What he said, word for word, is that "unlike cable connections, your speed will not be affected by the number of clients connected, or by one person maxing out their connection. You will have 25mbit/25mbit available to you, although the actual speed will depend on LOS and signal quality". Like I said before, with the possibility of 150mbit radios, they could run 6 clients off one AP, and set all the client radios to transfer at a max of 25/25 (the AirOS software ubnt uses has this feature built in).
LLigetfa
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

said by wizdum:
said by LLigetfa:
said by wizdum:

Like I said before, with the possibility of 150mbit radios, they could run 6 clients off one AP, and set all the client radios to transfer at a max of 25/25 (the AirOS software ubnt uses has this feature built in).
OK, so finally you agree it is shared. Again, the number of CPEs on the AP as well as the capacity of their backhaul will determine the level of joy, the "up to" limitations not withstanding. It is not typical for a WISP to have only 6 subs per AP so the AP and backhaul are usually oversubscribed.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

From what it sounds like, I wouldn't be surprised if RedZone was setting up a PtP link for every subscriber. Not sure how sustainable of a business model that would be, but that *might* allow for higher speeds like that. Just make sure the radios are on different channels and/or aren't interfering with each other due to low beamwidth.
wizdum
Bangor, ME

wizdum to LLigetfa

to LLigetfa
said by LLigetfa:

OK, so finally you agree it is shared. Again, the number of CPEs on the AP as well as the capacity of their backhaul will determine the level of joy, the "up to" limitations not withstanding. It is not typical for a WISP to have only 6 subs per AP so the AP and backhaul are usually oversubscribed.
I dont see how this is "finally agreeing". I said the same exact thing on the previous page, in my 5th post.