uniqs
ChuckIL9
join:2005-11-07
Peoria, IL

2 edits

ChuckIL9 to criggs

to criggs

Re: Sprint 3G Speed Has Dropped Into The Toilet

I've had the same problem here in Peoria, IL. I have a great EVDO rev A signal, but for the last month and a half, my download speeds are around 8000 baud (upload is fine). My calls to customer service are less than satisfactory. They put in a ticket, say they'll call me back and never do. The next week I call for an update on the ticket and say they can't find any ticket. I had some response by emailing dan@sprint.com. An agent called and e-mailed me direct contact info, we conferenced in a tower support person, but they don't seem to have an answer either (other than the tower not performing correctly and they have no idea when it might be fixed). I got a credit of $25 on my last bill (which was less then I was seeking). I've had this service for a little over a year, and everything was fine up until the last month and a half.

Reply from Sprint support after e-mailing dan@sprint.com:

Thank you for speaking with me today. I apologize for the inconvenience
you are experiencing due to our tower performing at low performance. The
purpose of this email is to recap our conversation.

We conducted a conference call today with our advance technical support
team. We spoke with Rod who advised that they have mark the tower as
performing below 50%. At this time, we do not have an expected date that
the tower will be fixed. He advised that they mark the location with the
issue and the technicians are working on the issue. As agreed, I will
continue to follow up with you regarding the tower until we have a final
result.
criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

criggs

Yep, this is exactly what is happening to me, repeated phone calls with various Sprint reps, sympathetic clucking about it, promises to follow up and get back to me, and then --

-- nothing. I wait three or four days, then call them back and we go on the same merry-go-round all over again, after which nothing again.

And so it's gone for 5 weeks. One nice difference: at least they've given me full credit for October, but that's about it. Other than that, the experience is identical.

If this is happening around the nation it's hard to believe they don't know what's going on. That raises the unpleasant but distinctly likely possibility not only that they know but that they're hiding what they know. In other words, they know very well what's causing this but, for some reason, Sprint has decided to hide from their customers the real reason for these new highly localized dead pockets.

Pulsar
@ford.com

Pulsar

Anon

Dealing with issues in Michigan for the last week as well. Speeds are fine - in fact better than I've seen them in a long time: unless you want to go to specific websites. Google is unresolvable, as in any page using PHP, Bing etc. Dogpile is working, but other sites are not. Sometimes the whole thing just grinds to a halt. Same results with 4 different laptops in 3 significantly different locations (25+ miles apart).

Same result on a call in: all is well, it must be on your end.

Normally I'd agree with that suggestion, except I've been running now for 2+ years without any issues on "my end" - and multiple computers having the same problem on multiple towers tells me that something doesn't add up on THEIR end.
criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

criggs

said by Pulsar :

Speeds are fine - in fact better than I've seen them in a long time: unless you want to go to specific websites. Google is unresolvable, as in any page using PHP, Bing etc. Dogpile is working, but other sites are not. Sometimes the whole thing just grinds to a halt.
Gotta say that doesn't sound like the same issue, though it may be the same cause and simply manifest itself differently in different environments.
pivonka571
join:2005-02-03
La Crosse, KS

pivonka571 to Pulsar

to Pulsar
said by Pulsar :

Dealing with issues in Michigan for the last week as well. Speeds are fine - in fact better than I've seen them in a long time: unless you want to go to specific websites. Google is unresolvable, as in any page using PHP, Bing etc. Dogpile is working, but other sites are not. Sometimes the whole thing just grinds to a halt. Same results with 4 different laptops in 3 significantly different locations (25+ miles apart).

Same result on a call in: all is well, it must be on your end.

Normally I'd agree with that suggestion, except I've been running now for 2+ years without any issues on "my end" - and multiple computers having the same problem on multiple towers tells me that something doesn't add up on THEIR end.
This description is not incompatible with Denial of Service attacks against the sites or against Spring facilities used in providing access to them. If Sprint is suffering DoS attacks, they might either not be able to isolate them, or to fix them; that might make them reluctant to talk about them.

It does seem clear that some deep analysis of the character and timing of the service degradation is needed.
ChuckIL9
join:2005-11-07
Peoria, IL

ChuckIL9

Well, it's been a couple weeks since my last conversation with the sprint rep, and still...nothing. Download speeds never are above 32K, upload is still fine. Tried calling the rep back a couple times and I always get her voice mail. Left a message...still waiting.