All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
CAPEGIFTS
join:2010-11-05

CAPEGIFTS

CenturyLink Prism TV

I just had Century Link Prism TV installed here in Cape Coral Fl. WOW! Picture quality is unbelievable. Prism standard def is equal to our local cable provider's HD. All 4 of the Century Link Techs were professional with great demeanor. They made sure everything was up to their specs before leaving. I am saving over $50.00 a month using the Century Link phone, internet and Prism as compared to our local cable company.

Features of Prism are great, pictures and music from my PC play over any of our TVs. Caller ID shows on TV screen, Whole house DVR, stop pause replay live TV, much, much more.

They should have the motto "Forget The Rest, Get The Best, Prism TV"

CTL_Joey
join:2008-09-22

CTL_Joey

said by CAPEGIFTS:

I just had Century Link Prism TV installed here in Cape Coral Fl. WOW! Picture quality is unbelievable. Prism standard def is equal to our local cable provider's HD. All 4 of the Century Link Techs were professional with great demeanor. They made sure everything was up to their specs before leaving. I am saving over $50.00 a month using the Century Link phone, internet and Prism as compared to our local cable company.

Features of Prism are great, pictures and music from my PC play over any of our TVs. Caller ID shows on TV screen, Whole house DVR, stop pause replay live TV, much, much more.

They should have the motto "Forget The Rest, Get The Best, Prism TV"
Glad you are enjoying the Prism service. Please let me know if I can be of assistance for you. You can send me a private IM on DSLR or email me at Joey@CenturyLink.com. Thanks.

Joey H
CenturyLink Customer Outreach
Reachout@CenturyLink.com

estero
@embarqhsd.net

estero to CAPEGIFTS

Anon

to CAPEGIFTS
what is your connection speed??

I am considering getting this for myself and my parents. i have 10mbps, they can only get 3mbps.
TropicalLime
join:2010-10-14

TropicalLime to CAPEGIFTS

to CAPEGIFTS
I live near Cape Coral too. I have had my Century link about 5 days. The TV works great. But I can't get pictures or music from my computer. Also computer does not recognize the Cisco router. If I bridge my old router to the Cisco router then my computer will will connect. I am not sure how to fix this.

dsldude08
Premium Member
join:2008-01-03
La Crosse, WI

1 edit

dsldude08

Premium Member

Make sure Windows Media Player 11 is what you have installed on your computer, also make sure Network Discovery is turned on if you are using Windows Vista or 7. Make sure Media Sharing is Enabled is the most important part. I just had my PRISM installed Saturday, the Media Sharing works seamlessly, quite impressive.

To Enable Media Sharing: »windows.microsoft.com/en ··· re-media

Also, make sure your network connection settings are set to automatic in this case, I had mine manually configured and had to change the settings. Go into your control panel>network and sharing>manage network connections>right-click your Local Area Connection>go to Properties>highlight Internet Protocol V4>click properties>set both radio buttons as automatic.

Try that, otherwise call the Internet Help Desk: 1-800-809-1410
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

Will Ft Walton Beach, FL be next in line for PRISM? Probably not. I'm looking to switch if it does become available here.

-Rob

jb2
@184.0.236.x

jb2 to CAPEGIFTS

Anon

to CAPEGIFTS
Anyone know when remote recording set-up [via internet] will be available. I know TiVo and Dish Network have it and Prism has it on its drawing board. By the way, I've had Prism for about a week and so far am liking it lots.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to CAPEGIFTS

Premium Member

to CAPEGIFTS
I like my Prism service too; it's great to get out from the cableco's thumb and I swear the picture quality is better.

dsldude08
Premium Member
join:2008-01-03
La Crosse, WI

dsldude08 to jb2

Premium Member

to jb2
said by jb2 :

Anyone know when remote recording set-up [via internet] will be available. I know TiVo and Dish Network have it and Prism has it on its drawing board. By the way, I've had Prism for about a week and so far am liking it lots.
That is coming soon according to the Prism Website.

Southern
@embarqhsd.net

Southern

Anon

Well, I live in N Ft Myers. I went down to the Centurylink office in Cape Coral.....right near my house. I already have their Tel and DSL and am pleased with the service.

Now I want Prism.
Bad news. Not in my neighborhood. Maybe in the future.....
That sucks. For about the same price I have Comacast. With about 7 channels.......

Also I wonder if the sharing of video works with iMacs?
unr34ldud3
join:2010-11-21

unr34ldud3

said by Southern :

Now I want Prism.
Bad news. Not in my neighborhood. Maybe in the future.....
That sucks. For about the same price I have Comacast. With about 7 channels.......

They simply need to setup the hardware in your local area, and the distance restrictions for IPTV are much shorter due to the need for higher bandwidth and higher reliability, so this may require them to build a new remote to service your neighborhood.
said by Southern :

Also I wonder if the sharing of video works with iMacs?

Currently the "Personal Media Sharing" is limited to Windows XP+ with Windows Media Player 11+, I have no experience with XBOX's, so I can't comment on that.
mgudites5
join:2003-12-26
Naples, FL

mgudites5 to CAPEGIFTS

to CAPEGIFTS
I enquired about Prism as soon as I saw the billboard for it right down the road from me (almost swerved my car into a ditch while daydreaming about potentially getting rid of Comcast).

I got Prism about three weeks ago. Liking it ok so far. I have had some issues with pixelation and sound syncing issues (lips don't match up with the voice). Every time I call support I get the typical "reboot the router, then reboot the DVR" but it doesn't help (luckily it hasn't done it again lately...maybe they fixed it?). The DVR leaves something to be desired; the programming guide isn't as good as TiVo, but it's usable. I'm hoping eventually as part of this service, since it's all IP based, I'll be able to use an iPad or iPhone to watch TV as well.

Had a bad issue last week where TBSHD was completely out for a day, and then after that, really bad pixelation and cutting out on most of the channels, to the point where it was unwatchable. I was pretty sure it wasn't a bad connection, as I have 10Mbit DSL, and multiple speed tests got an average of 9.5Mbit. Called support and talked to a guy who seemed like he didn't really like his job very much. He told me "it looks ok when we pull it up on our Slingbox over here" (a Slingbox? Really?!). I took half a day off of work so they could send a guy out to my house, who told me, "we're having a global problem and it's not your line or your equipment." I told him "the support person told me it had to be an issue with my line," to which the technician replied, "he wasn't being truthful with you." :-/

Since Saturday, it's been working really well (fingers crossed).
matcapir
join:2005-07-07
Cape Coral, FL

matcapir to CAPEGIFTS

to CAPEGIFTS
I am considering switching to Prism, but, am hung up on reports the DVR's are problematic. I also can't afford to take a day off from work to have the installation done.
mgudites5
Naples, FL

mgudites5

@matcapir

Yes, the install procedure for this thing is kind of ridiculous. It's honestly easy enough for a tech-savvy person to do themselves, except they had to mess around with some of the twisted-pair wiring in the house.

The fact that they'll only come over in the mornings (no afternoon appointments), plus no Saturday availability really makes it difficult.

Eddy Strong
join:2001-08-29
Naples, FL

Eddy Strong to CAPEGIFTS

to CAPEGIFTS
I'm switching to Prism on the 20th... really exited about it and ditching the local Cable provider aswell!

Can you also watch their TV programing on your PC?

And if my PC is streamming, downloading or working online, will that cause the TV programming to have issues?
wdwcp2001
join:2007-11-27
Winter Park, FL

wdwcp2001 to mgudites5

to mgudites5
mgudites5, that's interesting about the install windows. Is Saturday always blacked out or is because of the volume of new requests? Still waiting for Prism to come to my neck of the woods (Orlando); hopefully sometime next year.
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

PRISM will get a pre order from me as my current provider seems to have a problem with their DVR rebooting at random. It will probably be available in 2020 with the way things are going though.
mgudites5
Naples, FL

mgudites5 to Eddy Strong

to Eddy Strong
@Eddy Strong

You can't yet watch on your computer...that's something I'm really hoping for as well. No, the TV stream coming in doesn't affect your internet connection. The technician who came out to my house told me that the Internet feed and the television feed are coming in one two different pairs of twisted-pair. I still get my full 10megabits when the TV is running.

@wdwcp2001

The way they explained it to me, Saturday is not available. They told me they only do mornings on the weekdays, due to the length of time installs can take. It didn't really take long for them to do mine, though. He had to rewire a jack, but the rest was really just plug-and-play.
mgudites5

mgudites5

Speak of the devil...being the FiOS is practically the same thing, I hope we'll get this too.

»www.ipodnn.com/articles/ ··· ardware/

tombone86ho
@embarqhsd.net

tombone86ho to CAPEGIFTS

Anon

to CAPEGIFTS
well i will say to anyone who is going to get the dsl from them it is just no good. it shuts off and on, got the 10 and it might pull 10 megs for 2 sec. lol im a gamer and tey said it would work great for me. lies when i call them they say nothen is wrong when they come out here there as to be because i get kicked out of servers from to high of a ping and for the people wo dont know what that means it means that the not fast enuff at all is what that means. like there phone and getting there tv but about to drop the dsl and go with comcast cable just for online.
mgudites5
Naples, FL

mgudites5

said by tombone86ho :

well i will say to anyone who is going to get the dsl from them it is just no good. it shuts off and on, got the 10 and it might pull 10 megs for 2 sec. lol im a gamer and tey said it would work great for me. lies when i call them they say nothen is wrong when they come out here there as to be because i get kicked out of servers from to high of a ping and for the people wo dont know what that means it means that the not fast enuff at all is what that means. like there phone and getting there tv but about to drop the dsl and go with comcast cable just for online.

I had the same problem here, but the other way around. Comcast is s***, and DSL works great at my house. I get the full 10mbit all of the time. It's all about where you live and the quality of the lines. Fact is though, most of the time DSL *is* going to be better. You're on your on set of twisted pair all the way back to the CO. Can't say that about cable.
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes to tombone86ho

to tombone86ho
i myself would rather get higher download speeds then a line just for tv. seeing unless its same price as current bill. for phone and internet. then i watch from cbs ,fox etc sites and not waste the money
BusterLV0
join:2010-12-22
Las Vegas, NV

BusterLV0 to CAPEGIFTS

to CAPEGIFTS
Just got Prism today, the whole package, including phone, HD, and 10meg dsl which I had before prism. The TV video quality is pretty good. Not outstanding. They DVR on the other hand is and it limitations are bad. I explained when I signed up for the service what I had with direct TV. 4 rooms, DVR's in all, HD in just 1. No problem per the salesman, this system can do that. I explained I wanted to be able to pause, record etc. in each room. No problem per the salesman.. Well there is a problem. How can you have a system where u can't pause live television in more than 1 room?, that is basic DVR technology. Then my 10 MEG DSL that I had yesterday, which I was told would not be affected by this setup and tested at 10.2 meg consistantly, is now lucky to break 9.3 MEG. Mabye not a big deal, but I won't get a discount based on what I had before this setup. It also appears that the CISCO Router they use won't link up with my wireless cards in my other 2 computers. It won't issue and ip's anyway. Tried everything. Even their tech support for over and hour. I'm connected to the access point but it won't issue an ip wirelessly. Systems worked fine before switch. My 3rd computer which is wired to the system works fine other than the speed is down about 8%. Tech is supposed to come out tomorrow to see what is going on.

Eddy Strong
join:2001-08-29
Naples, FL

Eddy Strong to CAPEGIFTS

to CAPEGIFTS
I've had my Prism TV service installed a week earlier than stated, so I've had a couple of week to test it out.

I'm quite disappointed with the service and I'm calling Monday to have them pack it up and take it away. I'm saving about $30 a month compared to Comcast, but when you tally up the perks I'm loosing when I had Comcast it would jump the price to about the same, so it doesn't add up!

Like stated before, whole house DVR sucks (cannot rewind, pause live TV on any set top box other than the one where the DVR is on) and no you cannot have more than one DVR on your setup

One of my HDTVs (bought in June 2010) cannot connect thru HDMI, so I'm stuck at a lower res with Composite. Prism HD res looks worse than Comcast

I actually was getting more HD channels with Comcast programing and no SPEED HD channel... C'mon!

It was my understanding that your DSL speed would go up as a result of the upgrade, but every time I do a speed test here it shows the same 1.5mbps I had before.

I gotta hand it to them tho, their programing Guide and Search features are second to none, that's one thing I wish I could keep!

corrupt81
@comcast.net

corrupt81 to tombone86ho

Anon

to tombone86ho
Remember not everyone have those options though. Where I live - Arcadia, FL, our only option (other than mobile broadband) for high speed internet is CenturyLink. I have the 3mb package (fastest my area can get) and have so far been fairly impressed.. at least coming from Sprint mobile broadband it's much better.. I can even game online again!

Will look into Prism TV when/if it comes here. The only thing I don't like is how they charge an extra "HD" fee if you want HD channels.. while everyone else seems to have gone free or at least offers a credit every month so you get it free. (I get a $10 directv credit to offset the HD cost free for 2 years)

SteveLV702
Premium Member
join:2004-04-22
Las Vegas, NV

SteveLV702 to BusterLV0

Premium Member

to BusterLV0
said by BusterLV0:

Just got Prism today, the whole package, including phone, HD, and 10meg dsl which I had before prism. The TV video quality is pretty good. Not outstanding. They DVR on the other hand is and it limitations are bad. I explained when I signed up for the service what I had with direct TV. 4 rooms, DVR's in all, HD in just 1. No problem per the salesman, this system can do that. I explained I wanted to be able to pause, record etc. in each room. No problem per the salesman.. Well there is a problem. How can you have a system where u can't pause live television in more than 1 room?, that is basic DVR technology. Then my 10 MEG DSL that I had yesterday, which I was told would not be affected by this setup and tested at 10.2 meg consistantly, is now lucky to break 9.3 MEG. Mabye not a big deal, but I won't get a discount based on what I had before this setup. It also appears that the CISCO Router they use won't link up with my wireless cards in my other 2 computers. It won't issue and ip's anyway. Tried everything. Even their tech support for over and hour. I'm connected to the access point but it won't issue an ip wirelessly. Systems worked fine before switch. My 3rd computer which is wired to the system works fine other than the speed is down about 8%. Tech is supposed to come out tomorrow to see what is going on.

wow wow wait I just signed up yesterday you can't pause/rewind on all tvs only the one with the DVR well isnt that false advertising cause on their demo/video on their website it clearly shows them pausing on one tv and resuming on another tv, etc....

Nonsense
@embarqhsd.net

Nonsense

Anon

You can't pause live tv and then resume in another room. But, you can pause and resume if you are watching something previously recorded and already on the DVR. Not sure if it works with something in the process of being recorded. So the website may not be lying but it may be a misrepresentation. I'm also disappointed that I can't use DVR functions on the other TVs.

herb77
join:2005-02-23
Fort Myers, FL

herb77 to CAPEGIFTS

to CAPEGIFTS
You guys rely too much on TV. Get outside more.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to Nonsense

Premium Member

to Nonsense
If you want to pause live tv on the non-dvr boxes you just hit record and watch the version being recorded. Then you can pause/rewind etc.

lorivee
@comcast.net

lorivee

Anon

my parents just got their prism in port charlotte and when i went to their house over christmas and tried to connect to their wireless they informed me that prism gave them a new router and said they didnt use theirs. prism did not say anything about this to me when i scheduled my install (13th).

has anyone tried accessing the router or asked how they go about changing the ssid? my network at home is very specific, all my ips are static and there are a lot of peripherals that connect to it as well. i do NOT want to change the network settings in 10+ devices. i need to be able to get into the router and make changes as needed.

i was told by a rep at the store that there would be no trouble getting access to the router and the install tech would be more than happy to give it to me, but we all know salespeople will tell you anything to get the sale.

my concern is that they will not give access, claiming that the boxes need to have the connection information as well, and they cant let me into the box setup.

i don't want to have to call a tech every time i need a port opened up in my router or i want to change my wep key to something i can remember instead of some generic auto generated password.

anyone have any luck with any "advanced" networking with Prism?