Search similar:

uniqs

Nonsense2
@embarqhsd.net

Nonsense2 to lorivee

Anon

to lorivee

Re: CenturyLink Prism TV

You can change basic settings of the router the same way as most other routers by going to 192.168.1.254 with "user" as both username and pass. All of the wireless settings like ssid, security and such can be changed but there are certain features that only CenturyLink can access. I personally just disabled the built in wireless and plugged my Airport Extreme into the router since I need wireless-N.

Port mapping, however, is one of the features that only CenturyLink can change so you would need to call them for that. UPnP is enabled, though, and I haven't had any issues with torrenting if that's any consolation.
willzzz
join:2007-05-23
NY

willzzz to CAPEGIFTS

to CAPEGIFTS
PrismTV is essentially the same thing as U-verse by AT&T. Same architecture, OEMs, everything except CenturyLink is running it sold to them by Alcatel-Lucent and Microsoft... Though the feature implementation depends on the carrier (AT&T goes all out and has everything the OEMs have...). It requires extensive infrastructure that I guess CenturyLink will only do in urban/metro areas or areas with enough population density that it will pay off for them (same as AT&T). What are your VDSL2 sync speeds from the DSLAM (or VRAD in AT&T speak). Wonder when their going to have it in Orlando. (If this was an AT&T territory AT&T would be putting the DSLAM/VRADs in an instant in Orlando, they have carrier IP backbone POPs in Orlando, Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tallahasee and a few other places in Florida) with multi-terabit Nx40/10G backbone in Florida (AT&T really modernized BellSouth's infrastructure).

Being a big-carrier does have some benefits...
It would give Bright House some competition...

BTW for PrismTV (similar that AT&T does) it requires MINIMUM GigE (1Gbps) over fiber and above for the DSLAM backhaul and accurate QoS (quality of service) for the IPTV/VoD/etc all the stuff you get on U-verse/PrismTV.

What hardware are you guys using with Prism?
mgudites5
join:2003-12-26
Naples, FL

mgudites5 to CAPEGIFTS

to CAPEGIFTS
Guess this is what you get for being an early adopter. Was having some issues but it's been pretty smooth lately. I'm hoping for more functionality. Disappointed that some channels that I had with basic Comcast are not available with basic Prism, and that some channels that I had in HD on Comcast (like FX) are not available in HD on Prism.

Also hoping for better functionality with the whole DVR system, probably much of which could be accomplished with a software upgrade. Also hoping for some iOS / Android apps to be released.

Zx396
@mycingular.net

Zx396 to CAPEGIFTS

Anon

to CAPEGIFTS
I have had the prism now for about 3 weeks. I was very happy with the service at first...Comcast was a rip off... I had the century link 25meg service since may and in has never skip a beat..
It's been a week now that I have had not had decent Internet or tv service..getting kinda of tired now of the freezing up and poor speed. I'm in the park by three oaks...not a good sign...

Gort
@rylinkservices.net

Gort to CAPEGIFTS

Anon

to CAPEGIFTS
Just got PrismTV installed in the last few days and here are some thoughts:

==Pros==
&& The UI on the guide is light years ahead of what Comcast was offering. Searching for shows and peoples names is wonderful. I've never had TiVo, so I can't make that comparison.
&& Whole house DVR is very nice. Wanting to lay in bed while my shows were out in the living room was a pain in the ass.
&& Picture quality is about equal to what I had with Comcast. I've seen about 5 minor hick-ups in the past few days.
&& Instant channel changes is nice. This makes channel surfing easier to handle.

==Cons==
&& You can only receiving one HD feed at a time. For example, if you want to record a show in HD, all other HD programing is unavailable. You can either cancel your recording or watch your program in standard definition. This really stinks.
&& No Speed HD or AMC. I understand this is new blah blah blah, but this could be a deal breaker (still within my 30 days)

These are my initial findings. I'll post some more when I have some more experience.
willzzz
NY

willzzz to CAPEGIFTS

to CAPEGIFTS
Where else except for Naples/Ft. Meyers does CenturyLink have PrismTV deployed!? I assume Orlando is next? AT&T has all the FL metro areas almost done with U-verse (same system, different marketing by a different company, the hardware is the same) with Orlando and Miami areas getting priority as of ~3-4 years ago and now nearly 100% complete. (All of the Orlando areas that are AT&T/ex-BellSouth have U-verse running I believe and Miami is almost done expanding out in-to the ex-burb areas...)

What hardware are you guys using? Is it the same as the 2wire 2700-hgv used by AT&T?

Unhappy
@embarqhsd.net

Unhappy to CAPEGIFTS

Anon

to CAPEGIFTS
I wish I could tell you how great my service is, but they missed my scheduled install date (no phone call, lots of run around and still can't tell me when they will install the service).This is after a 10 day wait for said install date. I have the Century Link on hold message burned into my memory form hearing it so much lately.Right now if I saw a corded emergency phone, I would sceam. CenturyLink has made Comcast look good in the customer service department.
doteyes9
join:2010-12-26
Holly Springs, NC

1 edit

doteyes9 to CAPEGIFTS

to CAPEGIFTS
Hey guys, really don't mean to de-rail this thread at all, but does anyone know of any plans for expansion of Prism TV? Would really love to have Prism TV in the Raleigh, NC market.

Edit: Also, they let it leak that my area is getting the 25Mbps service, could this be any indication? They can currently offer me the 25Mbps, but they havent upgraded the lines and I cannot get faster than the 4Mbps plan which I could get between 4m-7m on, and "promised" me this would be fixed by months end...

Gort
@fgcu.edu

Gort to willzzz

Anon

to willzzz
said by "willzzz :
What hardware are you guys using? Is it the same as the 2wire 2700-hgv used by AT&T?
Cisco DDR2200. I can't remember the boxes that they use, but I'll post that up later.

prismraleigh
@centurytel.net

prismraleigh to doteyes9

Anon

to doteyes9
Prism comes next week for Raleigh, NC
doteyes9
Holly Springs, NC

1 edit

doteyes9

This makes me so ecstatic! Just wondering, where did you hear this from?
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes

i finale got the 25 plan in my area. first one to!
capchip
join:2011-01-22
Fort Myers, FL

capchip to Gort

to Gort
Finally got my Prism after a long delay. Three weeks from order to install date and another two weeks while lines were upgraded. I live in a condo section that was built in the '60s so I expected some delay to upgrade the line quality. The centurylink phone man (Greg) was really very helpful and had to do a lot of digging in order to get the line upgraded just in the condo area. Then line men had to come and fix lines back to the sub-station, so I really have no complaints, in fact I think they did an outstanding job considering the age of the original lines.

The picture and service is very good. We have been very happy with the service so far.

The router that centurylink provided works very well. I have two desktops, a laptop, a cell phone and a Wii all running on it. No problems after I entered the new password.

I was disappointed with the HD recording only being able to record one HD program at a time and not watch another HD program, but we have adjusted our viewing and ewxording and even with a little inconvenience, it's still 100 per cent better than comcast.

There is only so much B?W available I guess.

We are looking forward to many years with centurylink. Thanks.
Expand your moderator at work

prismyeahhh
@centurytel.net

prismyeahhh to capchip

Anon

to capchip

The HD limitations depend on multiple factors. You must be eligible for only 1 HD stream, where as for example I can get 2. The max is 2HD/2SD for the time being. Just depends on those line qualities, distance, etc. So that may change for you in the future.
prismyeahhh

prismyeahhh to doteyes9

Anon

to doteyes9
A little birdie.
doteyes9
Holly Springs, NC

doteyes9

Does said birdie also indicate this will be available in Holly Springs?

prismyeahhh
@centurytel.net

prismyeahhh

Anon

Depends on your location (such as if you are close to these cities or if you are served out of one of the Prism-enabled central offices), but Raleigh and the Fayetteville areas are the ones getting Prism for now. You would have to call to check availability.
doteyes9
Holly Springs, NC

doteyes9

Ok, seems reasonable. Do you know what day they are unveiling it?

cecampbell
@bellsouth.net

cecampbell to doteyes9

Anon

to doteyes9
If it's the Raleigh/Fayetteville area, then maybe we'll get it in Chatham County. If so siyonara TWC!

dsldude08
Premium Member
join:2008-01-03
La Crosse, WI

dsldude08 to doteyes9

Premium Member

to doteyes9
Continue to monitor this site: »www.seeprismtv.com

When your city/state appears, you can check for further availability for your specific address by calling customer service.

Gort
@rylinkservices.net

Gort to CAPEGIFTS

Anon

to CAPEGIFTS
Unhappy with only 1 HD stream, I called Century Link to see if this was normal. The person I chatted with online was able to look up my MEDR rating and stated that I should be getting 2 HD and 2 SD streams. They were able to provisions the additional HD stream over the phone after a few cable box restarts. The phone tech also did a few things to "clean up" the feed, which I assume means she reduced some of the phoning home that the modem did, but this is just a guess.

When I was having some performance issues like freezing and light artifacting, the phone tech said she would schedule a tech to come out and look at the lines or something. He called the next morning and said he couldn't do anything without even looking, so I hopped back online with chat support.

The second online tech that I spoke with confirmed that I should be getting 2 clear HD streams, and apologized for the lack of support I was getting from the local tech. Her and her supervisor took a look at my case and it appears that when the order went through, it was set for 1HD/3SD, which was still the case even after the boxes here were set for 2/2. She changed around the order for me and I haven't seen as many issues. Here's a snippet from the online chat that you may find helpful
quote:
A customer with a 12500 - 14999 MEDR will able to watch one live HD program and watch 2 HD programs at once (using the DVR). The customer will not be able to watch 2 live HD streams at once.

I do see that we are required to set the amount of SD and HD streams per the MEDR.

So if you're having a problem with the number of HD streams, chat with them online and ask what your MEDR rating is and if you're getting the proper number of HD streams.

Martino
@rylinkservices.net

Martino to CAPEGIFTS

Anon

to CAPEGIFTS
Hated Comcast and their "sky is the limit" billing. Very excited to get Prism in Punta Gorda Isles. Have had it about 3 weeks now. It has never worked. Not once. The DVR either doesn't record, records what you want but won't let you play what you record, or dumps what you record. The TV goes to pixtels and freezes constantly. Much of the evening it isn't even watchable. The computer freezes several times a day. We have been told to reboot the equipment more times than I can count. The service people have been here 4 or 5 times. They "fix" it, and while standing here it freezes up on them before they can leave. We would sure like to keep it, but they can't get it to work here.

Eddy Strong
join:2001-08-29
Naples, FL

Eddy Strong

Keep in mind that if you're going to cancel their Prism TV service it will be best to do so before the 30 day trial ends otherwise there will be extra charges if you cancel after the 30 days.

I thought we had a 30 day free trial and after cancelling just 2 weeks after having the service i was told that we had to pay for the service used.

Not only that but you're responsible for returning the equipment (they don't come back to get it or give you a way to ship it back to them), otherwise you'll be paying over $500 for it.
And if you didn't cancel with Comcast yet like I did, you'll have to get Comcast to come for a fee to reconnect the lines back since CenturyLink won't do anything else for you!

Martino
@rylinkservices.net

Martino

Anon

Well, after many service calls they have improved things slightly, but the TV still freezes. You never know when, you never know how long. Clearly they are clueless on how to fix this. The DVR is a joke. The new one is just as bad as the old one. It records just fine. Sometimes, it even plays back OK. Most of the time, it has dumped all of the shows you have recorded. No rhyme or reason. To their credit, Centurylink keeps sending people out. I suspect this is a nationwide problem that they are aware of, and don't want to admit.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by Martino :

Well, after many service calls they have improved things slightly, but the TV still freezes. You never know when, you never know how long. Clearly they are clueless on how to fix this. The DVR is a joke. The new one is just as bad as the old one. It records just fine. Sometimes, it even plays back OK. Most of the time, it has dumped all of the shows you have recorded. No rhyme or reason. To their credit, Centurylink keeps sending people out. I suspect this is a nationwide problem that they are aware of, and don't want to admit.

Disclaimer: I have never seen nor worked with any CenturyLink services, including Prism. I am framing my response based on U-Verse experiences

Everything I have read about Prism is that it is very similar in many ways to AT&T's U-Verse service. The problems you describe sound like many of the same types of troubles that U-Verse customers had when new markets would launch - the technology is "new" to everyone, including customers, technicians, and tech support personnel, and troubleshooting problems beyond the "common" problems becomes easier with more experience

IF Prism works like U-Verse works, most likely your problems are not coming from a faulty DVR, instead they are almost certainly wiring issues, most probably on the Coax Wiring between the Modem & the DVR & other STBs.

The reason the DVR will dump itself is if it cannot establish a solid Data connection to the Modem & then the CenturyLink network itself, one of its self-troubleshooting steps is to reset, and if it cannot establish the link on a reset, the device then will Factory Reset itself, which wipes all recordings. At least the U-Verse STBs & DVRs do this, and since both are Microsoft MediaRoom products, I expect this is part of the Microsoft software

A couple of questions to help diagnose further:
How many TVs do you have on the Service?
Do you have any troubles with the CenturyLink internet service, or just the IPTV?
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes

mine went up since i got it. notice better upload and download . used to be 24 at best

Expand your moderator at work
willzzz
NY

willzzz to CAPEGIFTS

to CAPEGIFTS

Oh WOW! Someone mentioned CenturyLink was using ALU's ADSL2+ DSLAM cards for PrismTV instead of AT&T's VDSL2. VDSL2 trades distance for sync rate while ADSL2+ trades sync rate for distance. Hmm, can anyone post me the sync rate info of their PrismTV modem!?
willzzz

willzzz to CAPEGIFTS

to CAPEGIFTS
I'm curious because I just read the Cisco DDR200 in CT's config for PrismTV (IPTV) they are using 2 bonded ADSL2+ circuits. Hmm, maybe CT is doing that for extended range?