This is a sub-selection from Um

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to woody7

Re: Um

You obviously haven't had a renters or home owners claim have you?

it doesn't take a "long time before it paid out"... I just put a claim in on my house for weather damage and the check was in my hand with in 5 days.. One of my motorcycles was wrecked.. the claim was paid that same week. Most vehicle property claims are paid quickly too..

Sorry.. but that's not one that flies.

Insurance companies typically pay their covered and then fight each other to square up. Where people DON'T get paid quickly is when there is a question of actual coverage.. ie: was the water damage from flooding or other sources..

They didn't just go ask "that quick".. the accounts were probably stopped, the reason why was asked, and the equipment gets charged.. that's how business works and there is NOTHING wrong with that. This part of the entire equation, too, will all get sorted out as time comes.

I swear, you guys make it sound like the cable company sent hired goons out with bats to beat the money out of the customers.. I know it makes for an incredible "I'm outraged" feel good moment.. but you're also putting far more emotion into this.

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA
Not necessarily true. My husband's co-worker lost his house due to a fire last year. It took almost 2 months before he even saw a little bit of the money from his insurance company. Because of the nature of the fire, they refused to pay anything out, even one cent, until a complete investigation report was conducted by the fire department then sent to them (the insurance company) for review before they wanted to settle anything.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
You said it best.. "because of the nature of the fire"... If the policy has an exclusion and the fire appears to be, based on the initial report, to be part of that exclusion, then yea, the insurance company is going to hold off until the report is complete - that's normal.

Insurance policies don't just pay out due to a loss. But you are right when you said "not necessarily true".. there ARE going to be cases where people don't get paid right away.. and again, that's normal.

Say that insurance company DID pay out and say the report came back and the loss was in fact NOT covered.. then it comes down to the insurance company being the bad guys when they come knocking for their money back, right? I mean, the guy suffered enough already right?

In clear cut cases, yes, they pay out right away. In my case, as I stated, the adjusted was out and a check showed up with their report.. I told them I wasn't in agreement and wanted them to talk to my contractor.. their answer was simple.. "we have to send a check anyway.. it doesn't mean that you have to accept it, but the law requires we send it".. I challenged it and in a few weeks the insurance company is changing their tune. It's how things work.

myluvnttl78

join:2000-12-22
Ridgefield, WA
reply to fiberguy
said by fiberguy:

You obviously haven't had a renters or home owners claim have you?

it doesn't take a "long time before it paid out"... I just put a claim in on my house for weather damage and the check was in my hand with in 5 days.. One of my motorcycles was wrecked.. the claim was paid that same week. Most vehicle property claims are paid quickly too..

Sorry.. but that's not one that flies.

Insurance companies typically pay their covered and then fight each other to square up. Where people DON'T get paid quickly is when there is a question of actual coverage.. ie: was the water damage from flooding or other sources..

They didn't just go ask "that quick".. the accounts were probably stopped, the reason why was asked, and the equipment gets charged.. that's how business works and there is NOTHING wrong with that. This part of the entire equation, too, will all get sorted out as time comes.

I swear, you guys make it sound like the cable company sent hired goons out with bats to beat the money out of the customers.. I know it makes for an incredible "I'm outraged" feel good moment.. but you're also putting far more emotion into this.
Maybe that's why shit happen to you so many time cause you are a heartless piece of crap lol.....

woody7
Premium
join:2000-10-13
Torrance, CA
reply to fiberguy
Um yes I have and it took way more that 5 days.
--
BlooMe