spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rochester

join:2007-07-04
Curtis, WA

CenturyLink problems in Washington state..

I've had CenturyTel, now CenturyLink, DSL (1.5 Mbps) here in semi rural Lewis Country, WA for approximately 3 years now. Everything has been okay up until about a week ago when suddenly about 50% of the websites started loading at dial up speed. In fact, they are so slow, I often just give up in frustration. Thing is, some sites are normal and the speed tests come back fine.

Is this a CenturyLink problem and IS anybody else in SW WA experiencing similar difficulties?

doc4pcs

join:2001-12-21
Gladys, VA
Same thing in my area of Va Well except for certain times my speed test are down to almost modem speeds and then it comes back after several hours.
--
Centurylink 6meg DSL

Rochester

Curtis, WA
Look at this. I'm going to call support first thing in the morning. Unfortunately my experience with them has never been the best.

Rochester

Curtis, WA
Can anyone explain to me why, when I test at Speakeasy, the download tests out at 1.53 mbs, but when I go to Speedtest, I get the results as shown in the above post?

l1ghtware

join:2010-12-01
Stevenson, WA
reply to Rochester
Having problems with our DSL since we self installed a week ago. Upload speed is amazing, 576kbs, but download speed is 64kbs 99% of the time.

One night the down speed was as advertised, 1.440 mbs, and I was ecstatic, but then it went back down. Two days later I had the same quality down speed again, but only for a few hours. The rest of the time the down speed has consistently been 64kbs.

That's practically dial-up speeds! And I know the wire is carrying a good signal, because of the consistently good upload speeds.

I live in SW Washington, 2 miles west of Beacon Rock on the Columbia River (or at least very near).

I have called tech support and they even sent out a technician, but he was unable to tell us what was wrong. One of my theories is that they ARE throttling, because service is new and there may be a lot of new customers and thus major load on the line, forcing them to throttle down our download speed but leave the upload speed untouched.

If anyone has a clue what is going on, PLEASE I could use some communication. The telephone company is turning the other cheek.

l1ghtware

join:2010-12-01
Stevenson, WA
I can no longer say this is true. After talking with a tech on the phone he walked me through issues regarding line attenuation on the up path and the down path. The up path has a pretty good signal, thus the excellent upload speeds. The down path is showing too much attenuation, thus the consistently poor download speeds.

No one is turning the other cheek, and I would delete my previous reply if I knew how.