Search similar:

uniqs

Ghecho
@aol.com

Ghecho

Anon

Uverse - cannot lower volume with the remote

Howdy,

I cannot lower the volume using my remote. I am on my 3rd remote. The Uverse techs are unable to figure it out. I tried all the reprogramming exercises ... help!

GNH
I know my limitations.
Premium Member
join:1999-12-20
Canyon Lake, TX

2 edits

GNH

Premium Member

[edit] Lets determine which volume, first... the volume of the DVR or STB or the volume of your TV?

ivioo
join:2010-09-01
Deland, FL

ivioo

Isn't the volume for the TV or Receiver Amp?? The STB/DVR doesn't have volume, does it? I didn't know the DVR/STB had volume as a choice, if so I could use my old LCD computer monitor as a display with my STB since the LCD does not have a remote input for volume.

My AT&T remote powers on my DVR, TV and Receiver on and the volume controls my Receiver. And in my other room the remote powers my TV and STB and does the TV volume.

Ghecho
@aol.com

Ghecho to Ghecho

Anon

to Ghecho
Cannot lower the volume on the TV. Pressing the volume button up or down causes the volume to increase.

GNH
I know my limitations.
Premium Member
Canyon Lake, TX

GNH to ivioo

Premium Member

to ivioo
said by ivioo:

Isn't the volume for the TV or Receiver Amp?? The STB/DVR doesn't have volume, does it? [...]
Hi, ivioo... Right (no speakers), I was referring to the DVR/STB having the ability to increase or decrease volume levels for the audio output. There are no speakers in the DVR or STBs.
GNH

GNH to Ghecho

Premium Member

to Ghecho
said by Ghecho :

Cannot lower the volume on the TV. Pressing the volume button up or down causes the volume to increase.
Gecho, I had a Mitsubishi do that, and it was the TV. Had to have a small circuit board replaced. Not that this is your particular issue, but that is the only time I've seen that behavior. You've apparently followed all of the instructions and tried several remotes; if it were me I would check into a service call, if the TV is worth fixing.

ivioo
join:2010-09-01
Deland, FL

ivioo to GNH

to GNH
said by GNH:

Hi, ivioo... Right (no speakers), I was referring to the DVR/STB having the ability to increase or decrease volume levels for the audio output. There are no speakers in the DVR or STBs.
So the uverse remote is able to control the line out volume level from the DVR/STB?

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to Ghecho

Premium Member

to Ghecho
Just a sidenote: I don't have U-Verse TV, but I had Time Warner Cable and DirecTV with my SAMSUNG TV, and both had the same problem:

To increase or decrease the volume, you cannot keep the volume button pressed and expect it to go down or up more then 1 notch. With both the cable remote as well as the new DirecTV remote I have now, I have to repeatedly press the volume button to get it to go down.

My solution: I gave up and use the TV remote for volume.
RocketJeff
Premium Member
join:2008-08-20
Birmingham, AL

1 recommendation

RocketJeff to ivioo

Premium Member

to ivioo
said by ivioo:

So the uverse remote is able to control the line out volume level from the DVR/STB?
Yes it can - if it isn't programmed to always change the TV volume.

I have a 'roaming' STB that I move as needed between a couple of TVs (guest room & kitchen) and my computer. When I had U-Verse installed, I told the tech not to bother programming that remote - it will raise/lower the volume on the STB itself and not the TVs (need the TV remote for that).

AT&T has a support note at »www.att.com/esupport/art ··· KB407921 that tells how to program the remote so that it will adjust the volume based on the device selection (i.e. press the TV button on the remote and the TV volume will change, press the AT&T button for the STB, etc). It also links to an article about how to program the remote to always change the volume on a specific device (most people have it set like this - the volume buttons always control the TV).

GNH
I know my limitations.
Premium Member
Canyon Lake, TX

GNH to ivioo

Premium Member

to ivioo
said by ivioo:

Yes, but usually what happens is when the unit is installed the installer (as he/she should) first maxes the volume on the DVR/STB (sets it at 25), then programs the remote to change the volume on the TV, not the STB. So, many subscribers aren't even aware that the audio output signal of the DVR/STB can be varied between 0 and 25.

[edit] RocketJeff and I were responding at the same time. He explains it well.