Search similar:

uniqs
rtorre
join:2010-11-05
Middlesex, NJ

rtorre

Cisco DPQ3212 installed, questions

Hello All

I just jumped to Ultimate. They Installed a Cisco DPQ3212 modem.

Just from curiosity I do have a couple of questions.

1. Is this the best for Ultimate.
2. Looking through the manual seems to suggest it has a router built-in? True? If so I can just get a Switch and pull the old router?
3. How would I log into it to see connection statistics and such? And what should I see when I do?
4. Is it normal that small files seem to be slower and large files much faster than the old Boost service.

Sunday evening which is one of the few free times for internet was much faster with Ultimate, which was my hope. It seemed like it would pause on downloads then take off and fly. Is that normal?

Thanks

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa

Premium Member

2. It may have a router built in like other modems CV uses, but it will only hand out a single public IP address. You still need your router.

For your speed testing, I suggest using the modem connected directly to a computer with a gigabit ethernet card and see what the results are - speeds, small files, large files, etc.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

MxxCon to rtorre

to rtorre
ultimate? your got your windows installed on your modem?
Parth
join:2010-08-16
Poughkeepsie, NY

Parth

Haha I believe he meant Ultra.

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69 to rtorre

to rtorre
'With the addition of a router, you can attach multiple devices in your home or
office to the cable modem for high-speed networking and sharing of files and
folders without first copying them onto a CD or diskette'

Doesn't seem like a built-in router is in the DPQ3212. As in being the best for Ultra. It's the latest and greatest Cisco model out there that they picked up recently.

As with all cable modems: »192.168.100.1/ will get you into the Cable modem configuration, just hit log in without entering a username or password to see everything.
rtorre
Middlesex, NJ

rtorre to MxxCon

to MxxCon
I was sitting here last night wondering what prompted the "You Installed Windows on the Modem"?

Then with todays replies it hit me, Yup I do mean the Highest speed, highest priced OOL service.

That's what happens when you work repairing windows machines all day at work.
rtorre

rtorre to kickass69

to kickass69
The reason I asked about it having a router is the following from the manual (PDF file).

Page 24. "4 Connect your PC to the cable modem using either of the following methods. Ethernet Connection: Locate the yellow Ethernet cable, connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port on your PC, and connect the other end to the yellow ETHERNET port on the back of the cable modem. Note: To install more ethernet devices than ports provided on the cable modem, use an external multi-port Ethernet switch(s)."
and
Page 29 (FAQs) says "Q. Can I run more than one device on the modem?
A. Yes. A single cable modem will theoretically support up to 253 Ethernet devices utilizing user-supplied Ethernet hubs or routers that you can purchase at your local PC or office supply retailer. Another user at your location can simultaneously connect to the USB port on the cable modem. "

That seems to imply it has routing capabilities? I'm going back to when we has Verizon DSL here at work. The DSL modem had a single Ethernet port with a built-in router. We connected it to our network and wham internet at all the computers.

Presuming I need a new higher speed router than the old 10/100 no name that worked ok with Boost, any suggestions?

Since I'll be needing a 9th ethernet port I'll have to change my 10/100 switch too.

Thanks

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa

Premium Member

The modem is capable of handling multiple etherent devices, but CV configures them to only allow one.

If you get a router with 4 ports, you should be able to connect 10 devices with you 8-port switch. A new router will have gigabit lan ports, so you can connect 3 devices at 10/100/1000, and then your switch and 7 other devices at 10/100 speeds.

A newer router with gigabit WAN port should work ok - if you want to do SPI you will need a higher-end router to handle the speeds. Read the reviews and make sure it handles the speeds.
rtorre
Middlesex, NJ

rtorre

Thanks for the info. Of course CV never makes it easy. Off to search Routers & Switches. OTOH since I only have Two computers with Gigabit ports I guess I could just leave the 10/100 switch attached to the router. I'm pretty sure the DVRs & Media player are only 100mb ports. I'll have to look up the specs on the NAS and the 3rd computer.

Thanks
rtorre

rtorre

I ran some speed tests and was wondering if these ping times are good or would a Gigabit router improve things. It also seemed strange that Sayreville was slower than Boston. In terms of miles Sayreville is well under 50 miles from me. Even Frederick Maryland was a lot faster.

I was looking at one from Netgear a WNDR37AV-100NAS »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· FullInfo

It seems that as I read it I can plug a USB hard drive into it and use it with my media player as a NAS drive.
Cheers
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to rtorre

to rtorre
The best way to tell is by bypassing the router and testing the speeds. If the router is limiting your speeds, then a gigabit router would help. If you get the same speeds, then the router won't improve performance.

Is the NIC in your PC a gigabit card?
rtorre
Middlesex, NJ

rtorre

As I slap myself beside the head and say Duh!

That is something I should have thought of. Yes the computer is equipped with a Gigabit Ethernet port I'm fairly sure no motherboards made in the last several years have 10/100 only ports.

I've been on a upgrading my stuff binge this year and the computer is a new build.
root
join:2002-12-11

root

For what its worth...the reason CV uses that modem now with the 4 ports is for Business accounts with Ultra and Static IP. Previously the Cisco 851 router used is a 10/100 connection on all 4 ports so ultra customers were not getting full ultra speeds, this allows the same capabilities but with 10/100/1000 port speeds.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

I thought the new Ultra router/modem was

Cisco DPQ3925 not the DPQ3212
RemyM
join:2005-02-14
Pinehurst, NC

RemyM

said by TheWiseGuy:

I thought the new Ultra router/modem was

Cisco DPQ3925 not the DPQ3212
Correct, the DPQ3212 is just a Docsis 3.0 modem with two phone lines. We were just switched to that with our Ultra service because our Motorola modem kept locking up. We still have the old Cisco router.