share rss forum feed

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

[request] I See People for Anon

Can we get an option to disable avatars for anonymous posters but keep them for premium/registered users? I don't really care for the silhouette.

I'd also like to see their "tag" get changed to "Anonymous". So that I just have their "posting name" be whatever they chose and their "tag" would be in the same spot as "Premium" or "VIP" is.
--
"And Tehuno said let there be haste, not mp5, and there was haste. All creatures of the world rejoiced." -WotLK Ch. 3.3.2

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Re: I See People for Anon

said by drew:

Can we get an option to disable avatars for anonymous posters but keep them for premium/registered users? I don't really care for the silhouette.
I'm not seeing a point here. There are plenty of other avatars used here that I consider more objectionable.

*object* on that point.
I'd also like to see their "tag" get changed to "Anonymous".
That sounds reasonable.
*sign* to that point.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 11.3; firefox 3.6.12

Graycode

join:2006-04-17
reply to drew

Shown is a mock-up of what it could be. This example keeps their chosen "posting name" but replaces the anonymous avatar with a small text identifier.

*sign*

I think the site would look better without the anonymous avatar.

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to nwrickert

No, I'm just saying there's *no point* to seeing that silhouette. I'd rather there be *no avatar* shown (by options in I See People) for anon and a posting tag indicates anon instead.
--
"And Tehuno said let there be haste, not mp5, and there was haste. All creatures of the world rejoiced." -WotLK Ch. 3.3.2

whistlinduck

join:2004-09-28
reply to drew

Object

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY
reply to drew

Good idea, I'm for it.

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
reply to drew

*Object*

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Graycode

If you are using Firefox and Adblock Plus you can block any avatar you want on this site and a number of other sites.

Just right-click the avatar and select Block Image and it will be blocked until the image is changed. Then you just block the new avatar being used.

Other web browsers with adblocking capabilities may allow this also.
--
"The gullible are ripe for conspiracy stories."

JLevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
reply to drew

Drew, here's my thoughts from an unregistered user point of view, and keeping the site's goals in mind.

While I'm not at liberty to login (personal reasons/not site related), I have no issue with the request of adding member functions myself.

I will suggest that if be it the case of implementation, the text wording not be 'anon' but rather something like 'unregistered' (referring more accurately to the post).

Sure, colloquially 'anon' on this site equates to all those not logged in while creating this post, but realistically we are all 'anon'; registered, logged in or not.

There is, unfortunately on this site, a certain sect (and hardly silent) group of members here who read "anon" and instead equate that person to 'nobody' and probably just the same would have that text there instead.

This is not to be politically correct, nor about me. Trust, I don't care, but I am exposed to it enough to tell you, (besides those 'tudes are tiresome to most any reader, unless you like that kind of thing) .

This site relies on (read: Important component to continue to exist) new and returning users to add to and hopefully permanently become part of this liquid pool of membership here. These new people just might be the most talented, skilled, and/or helpful people and a great asset or not. You wouldn't know, but bottom dollar the new, best people aren't likely to return when treated like 'nobody' Would you? (Honestly, if the attitude existed when I first came here, I'd say f' this and take it where it's welcome.) Besides, ugly brings out the worst in the worst people and encourages those to return and continue it.

I don't agree the site should support the official term of "anon" as to not encourage this unfortunate behavior and mindset.

*Object* txt title anon.
*Object* removing unregistered avatar.
*Approve* improved unregistered avatar instead (BBR acronym logo type? maybe.. or have the avatar forum group contest.. anything IMHO would be better).

-Jim
2010-11-12 12:57:57

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to drew

If you use Firefox [w/Stylish helps]:

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);
@-moz-document domain("dslreports.com") {
a[href="/profile/0"] img.av[src="http://i.dslr.net/sil.gif"]
{ display: none !important; }
a[href="/profile/0"] + br + small:before
{ content: "Anonymous" ;
  font-style: italic ; }
}

...just to see what it looks like :D ...

no avatar, 'Anonymous' tag

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
kudos:3
reply to drew

The site specifically implemented that avatar for non-members two or three years ago. Prior to that, there was no avatar for a non-member post.

I like that avatar. But that's an avatar that's verboten from use by members-- at least it was beginning a few days after its implementation, and I assume still is.

I doubt that non-members who post in these forums could give a flying fig whether or not they get an avatar, and I find it kind of ironic that that image is specifically forbidden from being used by members.

I'm *neutral* on your proposition, btw.

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to JLevinworth

I'd have ignored anonymous posts from DSLR a long, long time ago, if it didn't horribly break continuity of threads. Plus, it's excellent reading material in the "Ask a Question" forum as they're the source of 99% of the trolls there.

In short, my views on anonymous posters are not welcomed in this forum and and as such, won't share them. Leave it to say that I wish that I was not required to see your "avatar" and that it's perfectly clear in other ways (i.e. the tag) that you're an anonymous user.
--

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
kudos:3

said by drew:

. . my views on anonymous posters are not welcomed in this forum and and as such, won't share them.
I think you just did share them.

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to drew

In the past 10+ years I've probably posted anonymously (as in, not signed in) more so than as a member (as in, signed in). Sometimes from work--didn't want to sign in, sometimes from home--didn't care (hundreds upon hundreds of browser installs for testing and such). All anonymous posts get reviewed at some point anyway, so if you want to assume something about anonymous posters, that's your prerogative; but I think there may be just as many "member trolls" as there are non-member ones, so, not much difference between one and the other. Of course, I don't come here for my "entertainment".

JLevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
reply to drew

said by drew:

I'd have ignored anonymous posts from DSLR a long, long time ago, if it didn't horribly break continuity of threads. Plus, it's excellent reading material in the "Ask a Question" forum as they're the source of 99% of the trolls there.

In short, my views on anonymous posters are not welcomed in this forum and and as such, won't share them. Leave it to say that I wish that I was not required to see your "avatar" and that it's perfectly clear in other ways (i.e. the tag) that you're an anonymous user.
You know, Drew, for some time now all "anonymous" posts are held in queue until they can be pre-screened and approved by a mod prior to posting, including this one and even those you enjoy in "Ask a Question" (You might realize that many of those are from actual members too besides site wide).

There is a much higher scrutiny to "anonymous" posts, than those of registered users who have no post pre-approval prior and therefore it's much easier troll by registering as member, as many seem to do.

Your solution is to ad-block (or otherwise) the offensive avatar. As you have suggested, changing the individuals username that is currently a blue profile link to say all "Anonymous" for only those, while putting the actual individuals username, for only those, as a sub-line below in the tag would require a much larger programming change to exclude and serves no valuable purpose (other than your own special problem) when the purpose was already served.

I have no doubt, it's already perfectly clear to you who is posting "anonymous" without the changes.

-Jim
2010-11-15 04:59:15 «--- when I posted this.

JLevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
reply to AB

said by AB:

said by drew:

. . my views on anonymous posters are not welcomed in this forum and and as such, won't share them.
I think you just did share them.
Seriously. I was going to say, "recreational bias FTW", but I think I just got trolled. :\

I'm out.

-Jim
2010-11-15 05:00:18

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to drew

Regardless what the anon brigade wants to believe, I'd like to have a modification made to a paid premium feature that removes some of the annoyance out of seeing anonymous posters. For example: that avatar and how the posting box partially ignores my custom "I see people" format.
--

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

You have the ability to ignore anon posters and choose not to use it. They irritate you, you don't have any problem going on and on about that, yet you want some custom-tailored fix to fit a sense of irritation at an avatar, irriataion that appears to be shared by no other members.

*object*, obviously.
--
I don't have a problem!

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

Nice of you to stop by fatness.

I'd rather *not* have to block them. I've gone back and forth on blocking, but I see no purpose in insisting they "use" an avatar and not following the prescribed format.

I do enjoy how you consider one post "on and on" about it.
--

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
reply to drew

You can block anon posts.
There are browser solutions to block the avatar.
You have solutions.

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

I'd rather use a screwdriver than a sledgehammer.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing

I'd rather welcome people to the site than denigrate them and attempt publicly to minimize their contributions.

said by drew:

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

That's nice.

I didn't bring this topic up to show my disdain for anonymous posting on the internet. In fact, I didn't bring it up until an anonymous poster did.

As you so often remind us fatness See Profile, you've already said your piece here. A simple *object* is all you need.
--