Why bother?
Premium
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

Red Light Cameras

I personally think it was one of the stupidest things to vote out the red light cameras in Houston.
The only people who would have a reason to get rid of them are the people that regularly run red lights. Bunch of idiots.
--
U SAI U IS NOT COMPLETE IDIOT, WHICH PART IS MISSING?

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40

There are two reasons people run red lights:
1. They're not paying attention and run it accidentally.
2. They don't care and run it on purpose.

Red light cameras won't stop someone from causing an accident when they're not paying attention. They'll still do it -- they'll just get a $75 "ticket" for doing so. Drivers who don't care about red lights will see the photo enforcement sign and stop for that particular light.

I'm also disappointed in the results of Proposition 3. I feel that it should've lost with 99.99% rather than 52.82%.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

ggmorton

join:2002-07-24
Houston, TX
reply to Locutus65

I'm glad the prop passed. The red light cameras make the intersections WAY worse.

A condition of the company putting the cameras in was to shorten the yellow lights to the minimum allowed by law to maximize profit. If they wanted to make the lights safer, lengthening the time of the yellow (not shortening them) works MUCH better.

removed
Premium,VIP
Houston, TX

said by ggmorton:

I'm glad the prop passed.
It didn't. The question was: "Shall the City of Houston continue to use red light cameras to enforce state or local laws relating to traffic safety?"

The proposition failed and the cameras are (eventually) coming down.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

marti
Color outside the lines
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX
kudos:5
reply to Locutus65

Cameras are not coming down until mid-2011, as the City has a long-term contract with the company that supplies them. Therefore, until the contract is broken, red-light runners will get tickets.

I guess you can take the tickets to court, due to the current law.
--
Team Discovery

ggmorton

Houston, TX
reply to removed

It was worded weirdly in my opinion. Let me rephrase.

I am glad that the idea to ban the red light cameras in Houston was successful.

removed
Premium,VIP
Houston, TX
reply to marti

said by marti:

I guess you can take the tickets to court, due to the current law.
It should be noted that the "tickets" are actually civil violations, which don't get "taken to court" like a proper traffic ticket. You would file for an administrative adjudication hearing to dispute these violations. I've never done this but am told that you just meet with a city worker to prove your innocence.

said by ggmorton:

It was worded weirdly in my opinion. Let me rephrase.
Yeah - I had to read the proposition twice just to make sure I didn't mess up while voting.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

ggmorton

Houston, TX
reply to Locutus65

They will be shut off on Monday at 10 am.

»www.click2houston.com/news/25775···ail.html

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to Locutus65

This is a good thing as they are just a money maker and not for safety. You also have no guarantee that they are set correctly to not give tickets for entering an intersection on a yellow.

They should install all those cameras on the left lanes on the highways. Maybe if they give tickets to the slow left lane drivers people will start driving on the right and only passing on the left as the law mandates we must do.
--
Your behavior is inconsistent with your desire to be treated like everyone else.