uniqs

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

[Cable] Speedboost enabled on McNicoll

I saw in a Rogers thread that someone rebooted their modem and ended up with SpeedBoost enabled. So I thought, why not. I rebooted my SB6120 and lo and behold, SpeedBoost on McNicoll!

I see it go up to 45mbit, butit quickly settles down I don't think my dinky router can handle that much. Asus WL520-GU.

xdrag
join:2005-02-18
North York, ON

xdrag

that is AWESOME. i've been waiting for that for ages. Hopefully my SB6120 gets activated soon.
gruntlord6
join:2010-06-10
Barrie, ON

gruntlord6 to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I saw in a Rogers thread that someone rebooted their modem and ended up with SpeedBoost enabled. So I thought, why not. I rebooted my SB6120 and lo and behold, SpeedBoost on McNicoll!

I see it go up to 45mbit, butit quickly settles down I don't think my dinky router can handle that much. Asus WL520-GU.

Rogers and bell are upgrading extensively in barrie as well, although rogers is doing much more noticeable upgrades.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Hehe, just got a little higher... I think if I had a faster router it might be faster.

Jayar
join:2005-01-16

1 edit

Jayar

Cool! Will reboot right now.

Here's a quick one using Primus' test.

Download Speed: 19859 kbps (2482.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 988 kbps (123.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 12 ms
Tue Nov 09 2010 23:17:59 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Pretty cool that McNicoll has speedboost now! Unfortunately it's going to take a few extra steps in order to see whether I'm experiencing congestion though :P
ASharp
join:2001-08-08
Scarborough, ON

ASharp

Sweet deal! Was looking forward to having my cable hooked up...now even more so! Can't wait until next Wednesday.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Jayar

Premium Member

to Jayar
Whoa, the primus test gives me a sick result!

Damn I wish this speedboost lasted more than a few seconds. 30-60 seconds would be nice.
Insilin1i
join:2010-07-15
Toronto, ON

Insilin1i to HiVolt

to HiVolt
That new modem works really well with speedbost, I get about 30000kbps on the SB 5101 with speedboost.
xdrag
join:2005-02-18
North York, ON

xdrag

30,000 is around the maximum DL rate for D2. That's the difference I think between D3 and D2

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

Actually, now that I think about it, its probably not the router's fault. the 1mbit upstream is probably limiting it. If Rogers would enable speedboost on upstream, that would be a different story I think.

hitek
join:2001-02-25
Kitchener, ON

hitek to HiVolt

to HiVolt
/me shakes fist at HiVolt

I can't wait until I can hop on the cable bandwagon here in KW
dcorban
join:2003-07-13
Newmarket, ON

dcorban to HiVolt

to HiVolt
"McNicoll"?

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by dcorban:

"McNicoll"?
It's one of the POI's (Points of Interconnect) for TekSavvy Cable.

They are generally named after a street name. Some others are Scarlett, Dupont, Bloor, York, etc.
johnboy105
join:2008-11-27
Kitchener, ON

johnboy105 to hitek

to hitek
said by hitek:

/me shakes fist at HiVolt

I can't wait until I can hop on the cable bandwagon here in KW
I hear ya.... I've got a magical "I want to cancel" discount with Robbers at the moment, but it ends in Feb and I'm really hoping TSI Cable is up in KW by then.
newbi
join:2007-11-01
Scarborough, ON

newbi to HiVolt

to HiVolt
so if i get sign up for TSI cable now, w/ the highest package. I will get that speed? (located at mcnicol/brimley)

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by newbi:

so if i get sign up for TSI cable now, w/ the highest package. I will get that speed? (located at mcnicol/brimley)
You will get the speedboost. However it's only for 5-10 seconds of a transfer, after that it only settles down to the proper speed that you're paying for.

Its fun posting these speedtest results, because it gives us a glimmer of how fast it could be, after years of being stuck at sub 5mbit speeds of DSL.
newbi
join:2007-11-01
Scarborough, ON

newbi

cool thats great information. If I can ask a nub question HiVolt, if you don't mind. Is cable throttled for bittorrent or other traffics? is there any plans for UBB for cable (as in what bell is doing to resalers)?

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

TekSavvy Cable isn't throttled at the moment.

UBB it's a tossup, since the TPIA tariff already has provisions for UBB for Cable. But Rogers is at least right now allowing its wholesale cable ISP's to offer their own plans and packages that include unlimited.