Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11

Using plasterboard for a ceiling in a mobile home

A need a new ceiling in my mobile home, a contractor wants to tear down the old ceiling and replace it with plasterboard. I don't feel it will stay up very long as mobile homes tend to shake a bit under high winds. We can get 25 to 40MPH winds on any given day.
I can't see a few screws holding up plasterboard for very long!
What do you guys think about letting him do this?

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

Drywall? Most trailers I see these days come with 1/2" drywall. They used to use that thin, "fiberboard", paper-ish, paneling type stuff - but I think fire codes put a stop to that.
--
Looks like Reverend Wright got his wish - God Damn America.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium

Will a few screws hold plasterboards up?
Seems to me a little shaking and the holes made by the screws will widen and in time the boards will fall.

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
reply to The Pig

The "drywall screw inspector" (I shit you not) told me they want them every 8" here.
--

Waterbug

join:2008-03-30

Most drywall installations are now done with both wallboard screws and liquidnail adhesive. The screws hold the wallboard in place while the adhesive sets/cures. Instead of a point of contact connection at the screws, you end up with a continuous adhesion along the joists. If you are concerned about the installation, insist on wallboard adhesive being used at all studs/joists.

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
reply to The Pig

said by The Pig:

A need a new ceiling in my mobile home
Is the roof flat or a peak with shingles?

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium

1 edit

said by wth:

said by The Pig:

A need a new ceiling in my mobile home
Is the roof flat or a peak with shingles?
Mine is like the top shape some slope with shingles!

Inside the mobile the ceiling is flat!

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
reply to The Pig

Just an update, I fired the contractor, he put exposed nails on my ridge cap on my new roof, now I have a potental of having over a hundred leaks, plus he also nailed down air vents through the shingles and half the nails are not nailedin flat, you can see some are already cutting through the caps!
I never seen this before and I have been on many roofs around here helping friend with minor roofing problems!
Here are a few pictures of what the jerk did!

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN
reply to Waterbug

said by Waterbug:

Most drywall installations are now done with both wallboard screws and liquidnail adhesive.
Most? More like 5% of drywall installations are installed with construction adhesive, it's very uncommon and rare.

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN
reply to The Pig

said by The Pig:

Just an update, I fired the contractor, he put exposed nails on my ridge cap on my new roof, now I have a potental of having over a hundred leaks, plus he also nailed down air vents through the shingles and half the nails are not nailedin flat, you can see some are already cutting through the caps!
The ridge cap should not have exposed nails like that as you already know, and he way overdrove the nails. The vent however is nailed in correctly as far as where the nails should be located. However everything else about it just scream sloppy and lazy. Probably wise you fired him.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
reply to The Pig

Just cover those nail heads with some tar based roof adhesive that can be applied using a caulk gun.
--
Palin 2012!

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

The "drywall screw inspector" (I shit you not) told me they want them every 8" here.
Is that for ceiling, or everywhere?

I'm not sure of my ceilings, but I know that for the walls I've been using 12".
--
Palin 2012!

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to The Pig

Even in older trailers where the walls were covered with wood panels, the ceiling was drywall. (3/8", and possibly a little different from the regular stuff available in big box stores) However, it was held up by rosettes and screws, not drywall screws.
--
Palin 2012!

mworks

join:2006-06-13
Faison, NC
reply to The Pig

The biggest problem with mobile homes is inside the walls and ceilings there isn't much to nail to . You can put it on the ceiling if you can determine what they are using for ceiling support. check it by cutting a square hole big enough to look and see.

An alternative to drywall is beadboard. It is much lighter and looks great when painted.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
reply to aurgathor

said by aurgathor:

Just cover those nail heads with some tar based roof adhesive that can be applied using a caulk gun.
I shouldn't have to do anything!
I am going to buy more caps and put on top of his mess, I don't see much of a problem with having doubled caps just need longer nails!

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

said by The Pig:

said by aurgathor:

I shouldn't have to do anything!
I am going to buy more caps and put on top of his mess, I don't see much of a problem with having doubled caps just need longer nails!

Tar based roof adhesive would be faster and cheaper then new cap shingles and nails.

--
. . . The party of NO buys a new house . . .

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to The Pig

There should only be 2 exposed nails on a straight ridge cap - the last one put on. And those get cemented.

I'm not a roofer and even I know that. I wonder what else he f___ed up?
--

Waterbug

join:2008-03-30
reply to Ken

said by Ken:

said by Waterbug:

Most drywall installations are now done with both wallboard screws and liquidnail adhesive.
Most? More like 5% of drywall installations are installed with construction adhesive, it's very uncommon and rare.
It may be uncommon in your area, but it is very common on new construction around here. It provides continuous contact between drywall and warped/twisted or irregular studs. If it isn't being done in your area, drywall contractors must not care about providing the best possible product. Construction adhesives are relatively cheap. The same concept is used, when installing sub-flooring, to eliminate squeaks due to gaps between the sub-flooring and the flooring joists.

Felt good eh

@mc.videotron.ca
reply to The Pig

Did it feel good to say, "You're fired"?

I fired only one contractor in my short life, and it felt both good and bad.

Felt good telling him to take a hike.

I felt bad after repeatedly calling him for 7 months to pick up his tools, then deciding to finally keep them.