spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pivonka571

join:2005-02-03
La Crosse, KS

Which modem for 3G? Sierra 598U or Franklin 301U or 600U?

Which Sprint modem (aircard?) do I want to use for my Sprint Wireless Broadband service?

Sprint started me out on the Sierra 598U; it worked, but I had difficulties that caused me to jump to a 300U when I had a chance. That hardware went bad after a short while, and Sprint replaced it with a 301U, which works - more or less.

Right now SmartView is showing signal strength of -92dBm. Since I am generally in marginal reception conditions (Petaluma, CA & rural Western Kansas) I am thinking I might want to use an antenna to boost reception.

The 301U does not have an antenna jack. Inductive "adapters" that are supposed to tie antenna to a modem with no antenna port don't have a good reputation.

The 598U does have an antenna port. Perhaps I should go back to the original Sierra 598U, and forego the - faint? - possibility that I might someday be in a 4G area.

Or I could go for a 600U, which has 4 antenna ports - except that there are apparently no antenna "tails" made which will fit the "new & improved" port hardware on the 600U.

What do you folks think would be the best choice of modem for these circumstances?

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

definitely go back to the 598. It is a solid design with, as you note, an external antenna port to which you can connect a wide range of antennas, from Omni's to directionals.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

pivonka571

join:2005-02-03
La Crosse, KS

Jim, thanks very much. Now I'll be figuring out how to execute the reversion to the 598U, but that's just procedure. I hope.

cellguru

join:2008-09-22
Pleasant Grove, UT
reply to pivonka571

Definitely go back to a 598u, it is a bulletproof little modem.

The inductive adapters are pretty much worthless for just an external antenna, you must use an amplifier to get any results with them.