spc
Search similar:

uniqs

unibroker
@pacbell.net

unibroker

Anon

2wire 2701hg-b bridge mode

I just received the above from AT&T and installed it this afternoon. It is working fine but I want to use it as a modem only and continue to use my d-link dir655. I have seen other information on this but when I get to the instruction to uncheck the "Enable Routing" box, that cannot be found anywhere. Version I have is 5.29.109.5.

Any help would be appreciated.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by unibroker :

when I get to the instruction to uncheck the "Enable Routing" box, that cannot be found anywhere. Version I have is 5.29.109.5.
Try this 2wire url
192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=J30

unibroker
@pacbell.net

unibroker

Anon

Thanks wayjac. Is the reason I didn't see all of this before is because I was in AT&T's version of the 2wire interface. Your url took me to a different password page than AT&T's did. Maybe that's AT&T's way of discouraging tinkering.

Thanks again.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

That group of pages is called the
management and diagnostic console or mdc

The 2wire will prompt for the system password before allowing access to any page that can affect internet access

unibroker
@pacbell.net

unibroker

Anon

I'm just showing my ignorance when it comes to this stuff. To show just how ignorant; I printed out a step by step instruction which by the way you authored. When I put that mdc link into my browser it was BEFORE I had the 2wire and therefore I got the message that it could not be found. That gave rise to future missteps and my post.

Thanks again.
unibroker

unibroker

Anon

I know, I'm ruining the forum but wayjac I failed in my first attempt to bridge the 2wire. Up until yesterday I was using a Speedstream 5100 4 light and a d-link Dir655. Since I've installed the 2wire the d-link has been off. When I made the modifications to make the 2wire go into bridge mode I then powered it down, made the connections to include the d-link. I powered up the 2wire completely then powered up the d-link. Result was no connection and I couldn't reach either ones interface. I put everything as it was (only 2wire connected) and hit reset on the 2wire for 30". Luckily it put the settings as they were out of the box and I went through the initial process to get online.

THere was a comment after your instructions where I think that person was having the same issue. Problem was there was no link to that discussion so I've come back here.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by unibroker :

I know, I'm ruining the forum but
If the forum moderator has problems with your posts you will be notified
said by unibroker :

I powered up the 2wire completely then powered up the d-link. Result was no connection and I couldn't reach either ones interface
Did you confirm that the dlink's internet connection type is configured for a PPPoE connection

Was the dlink internet port connected to a 2wire lan port

Do you know how to check the computer's tcp/ip info

unibroker
@pacbell.net

unibroker

Anon

As I recall when it was connected to the Speedstream the dlink connection type was configured for a PPPOE connection but I can't get into the interface without it being connected to the 2wire and that failed.

Yes, the dlink internet port was connected to a 2wire local ethernet port. And a dlink lan port was connected to the computer.

The 2wire showed Ethernet and DSL solid green. Wireless and Internet lights were not on.

Obtain IP address automatically is selected under tcp/ip.

Jimdaboe
join:2001-01-16
Corpus Christi, TX

Jimdaboe

If both routers have the same default local IP address, you will need to change one of them.
unibroker
Premium Member
join:2010-11-12
Coeur D Alene, ID

unibroker

Premium Member

Thanks Jimdaboe. AT&T is sending a tech out today to check on my line; I'm getting half of the advertised download speed. So I'm shelving the bridge mode until they are through. Then I'll be back at it.

Should I still be able to access the dlink and 2wire interfaces through my browser even without internet access? I thought I should because isn't that data on the device itself? I was surprised when the hookup failed that I couldn't.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

When you were configuring the 2wire for bridge mode did you change the vpi/vci
You need to be using 0/35
said by unibroker:

Should I still be able to access the dlink and 2wire interfaces through my browser even without internet access? I thought I should because isn't that data on the device itself? I was surprised when the hookup failed that I couldn't
You must use pppoe to make the internet connection and that prevents easy access to the 2wire user interface
You should have easy access to the dlink user interface you may just need to reboot the computer after connecting to the dlink
unibroker
Premium Member
Coeur D Alene, ID

unibroker

Premium Member

Your instructions said to change vpi from 0 to 8.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

You must have read the southeast/bellsouth 2wire faq

The at&t bellsouth regions use 8/35 for it's vpi/vci

The at&t sbc regions use 0/35 for it's vpi/vci
unibroker
Premium Member
Coeur D Alene, ID

unibroker

Premium Member

So in my case I should just leave it as it is to get to bridge mode because zero is the default setting.

Yes, my copy of the steps does show AT&T Southwest Forum FAQ. Thanks for following up wayjac. As soon as AT&T is finished with their tech visits I will try again.
unibroker

unibroker to wayjac

Premium Member

to wayjac
Is the vpi setting the only difference between my bridge mode steps and the ones listed in the bellsouth faq?

And will putting the 2wire into bridge mode and using a dlink DIR655 have any affect on download speed?

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac to unibroker

MVM

to unibroker
said by unibroker:

So in my case I should just leave it as it is to get to bridge mode because zero is the default setting
Yes your region uses 0/35
said by unibroker:

Is the vpi setting the only difference between my bridge mode steps and the ones listed in the bellsouth faq?
Yes but keep in mind that the 2wire wifi radio still works in bridge mode
You can disable the wifi radio
You can also use the wifi to check the dsl line stats
said by unibroker:

will putting the 2wire into bridge mode and using a dlink DIR655 have any affect on download speed?
The router should have no effect on the speed of the dsl