how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04

[request] Increase 'I See People' character limit

The 'I See People' feature has a limit of 255 characters. Please increase this to 511 characters to allow for more sophisticated formatting.

This, of course, would have no negative effect for people who do not wish to use the additional space.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

Re: Increase 'I See People' character limit

I agree, half of my setup of "I see people" are html codes and brackets and stuff, and those are counted towards the max count.
--
BUCK FELL ,,!,,('-'),,!,,

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to Bobcat79
The reason for this is it's undoubtedly stored in a CHAR or VARCHAR field in the database. IIRC, we're running MySQL 5.1 or similar.

See »dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/ ··· har.html for reference on string type fields. The change would require a database mod from that data type to a TEXT or BLOB field.

Either way, it's not as simple as it may sound. But, in spite of that...

*sign*
--
"And Tehuno said let there be haste, not mp5, and there was haste. All creatures of the world rejoiced." -WotLK Ch. 3.3.2

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04
Since the vast majority of users probably never use this feature, hopefully it was implemented as a VARCHAR field. I'm not a database guy, but it looks like a VARCHAR field length would be easy to change.

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
I'd originally read the 4.whatever documentation and realized they'd migrated DSLR to 5. I didn't re-review the documents that well. IIUC, when migrating from 4.x to 5.x, it was common to set varchar to 255. I'm guessing it was a DB limit when the feature was originally implemented. That limit is probably artificial now, but would (likely) require a DB change.

That said, I still really support the change as I brush up against the limit rather badly because I have CSS to change the font :/
--
"And Tehuno said let there be haste, not mp5, and there was haste. All creatures of the world rejoiced." -WotLK Ch. 3.3.2