swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to Vertigo1019

Premium Member

to Vertigo1019

Re: [availability] Fairpoint Vantage Point DSL Chesterville Main

it says the same for my house and I was never able to get DSL. Have you called to verify eligibility? I started to think that the website was screwed up.

Vertigo1019
join:2010-11-11
Farmington, ME

Vertigo1019

I have been trying my phone number and address at least 3 times a week for the last 3 months and now its showing up.

Fair point has been all over my road lately.

I am going to call them tomorrow and see if I can order it, hopefully I can get 15MB but 7 is better then nothing

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by Vertigo1019:

I am going to call them tomorrow and see if I can order it, hopefully I can get 15MB but 7 is better then nothing

Well then, maybe there is hope for my house then. if you are going from poor dial up speeds to "just" 7 Mbits....it will blow your mind, let alone 15 MBits.

Myself, I have RR Turbo at 15 Mbits already. I am hoping once Fairpoints deadline hits at the end of the year, TW unleashes Roadrunner Extreme at 30 & 50 MBits. if that happens, we all win!

Vertigo1019
Farmington, ME

Vertigo1019

Holy crap dude 50 Megabytes!? thats insane.

I bet 50MB costs 600$ a month right? Whats the upload speed on the 50MB ?

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by Vertigo1019:

Holy crap dude 50 Megabytes!? thats insane.

I bet 50MB costs 600$ a month right? Whats the upload speed on the 50MB ?

I believe the Wideband Tier on TW is 50 down and 5 up. 99 a month sticks out to me, but the 30 down 5 up tier called Roadrunner Extreme is only $10 more than RR Turbo. Not a bad deal. Of course these tiers are not available yet....YET.

Vertigo1019
Farmington, ME

Vertigo1019

I'll settle for any thing at this point, Dial up connects as slow as 4.8K for me and as high as 31.2k.

I will use the Internet for mostly gaming and I have 7 computers, 2 Xbox 360s, 2 blue ray dvd players and a WII all crying for high speed Internet.

If my 7MB down 768K can handle at least two 360s at the same time I will be very satisfied
Vertigo1019

Vertigo1019

Oh Yeah I got dsl!

3-5 days is when my install date is
Vertigo1019

Vertigo1019

Fairpoint called me today and told me 8-15 days before I can get my high speed hooked up.

Any one els have to wait that long?

RGP025
@dasdial.com

RGP025

Anon

I live in anson and they told me that I could get dsl after I checked the site with my number, then a week later the rep called me back and told me after all the time and said that it wasn't available to me.. don't get excited until its installed... trust me... Im fighing with fairpoint until they put it in... they get enough calls and they will install

Vertigo1019
Farmington, ME

Vertigo1019

Wow that sucks man.

Fairpoint has called me a few times this week and called every one on the road to get people to switch.

My town office has the dsl installed right now and thats a half a mile downt he road.

Fairpoint told me last night that they shipped my DSL install kit out.
Vertigo1019

Vertigo1019

Update.

On January 11th I will have my DSL modem/router and on January 12th it will be turned on.

I will link my stats on wednessday to see what you guys think
Vertigo1019

Vertigo1019

Well a truck named Budget turned into my yard last night and gave me my DSL router kit. The downside about this is my dsl light is flashing and not steady green.

I called tech and they said when the light is steady green to give them a call for my PPOE name and password so I guess I will be all set any day now.

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path INTERLEAVED

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 0 0
Margin (dB) NOT AVAILABLE NOT AVAILABLE
Line Attenuation (dB) NOT AVAILABLE NOT AVAILABLE
Transmit Power (dBm) NOT AVAILABLE NOT AVAILABLE

rblenkhorn
Premium Member
join:2003-07-15
Bangor, ME

rblenkhorn to Vertigo1019

Premium Member

to Vertigo1019
an update on this would have been good. Did you ever actually get DSL and if so what speed did you get provisioned at and where are the speed tests and line statistics? more information would love to be seen regarding this miracle 7mbps connection you were getting from fairpoint considering I live in bangor, maine and can not even get the 3mbps I am provisioned at normally get 1 to 1.5

Vertigo1011
@verizon.net

Vertigo1011

Anon

Hello,

I cant seam to log in to Vertigo101 cause I forgot my password and my old email no longer exists.

Any ways I did get dsl, 3mbps/768K

avergage speed test shows DL at 3.52mbps and my upload at 1.8mbps

Vertigo1019
Farmington, ME

Vertigo1019

Yes that was me, I just found my password on one of my hard drives lol..
willzzz
join:2007-05-23
NY

willzzz

traceroute?
egilbe
join:2011-03-07

egilbe

What is the price for Vantagepoint?
Nfurber2
join:2011-03-12
Stockholm, ME

Nfurber2

About 45 a month for the first year and then 60 after that for the 15 down 1 up package. They also have a 7 down not sure what the up is for like 33 the first year and then I believe it's 45ish after that. I went for the 15/1 so I may be a bit off on the 7 down plan.
egilbe

egilbe

So I called Fairpoint this morning about upgrading my line to Vantagepoint. Although their map says I'm in the area serviced by Vantagepoint, my particular address hasn't been upgraded, yet. Has anyone with Vantagepoint seen that slowdown after 5pm where it slows to dial-up speeds by 8pm?
Nfurber2
join:2011-03-12
Stockholm, ME

Nfurber2

I haven't noticed any slowdowns on my end overall. I did run a speedtest.net test a few days ago to a server in Portland, ME and it was like 1mb down and 1 up but I tested on in Bangor, ME right after (closer to me) and was getting 14.3 down 1 up. I then tested a server in Boston, MA (farther from me than Portland) and got 14.6 down 1 up so I think it was that server or area more than my own service. Every time I've ever tried an actual file download I'm generally at 1550Kbps to 1800Kbps. Having said that I'm in a small town of only about 230 homes and not all of those are in the service area I'm sure since it's a pretty rural area and some homes are very spread out.
egilbe

egilbe

DSL and ADSL, if I'm not mistaken are dedicated subscriber lines and you won't share bandwidth, unlike TWC. I was blaming my dial-up like speeds since I went to DSL on Boston and NY Alter.net peering server congestion. I just want to make sure there is an improvement before I decide on Vantage point, and then find I run into the crappy ping and download speeds.

Sometimes download speeds are limited by the senders upload speeds. Nothing you can do about that.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

1 recommendation

swintec

Premium Member

said by egilbe:

DSL and ADSL, if I'm not mistaken are dedicated subscriber lines and you won't share bandwidth, unlike TWC.

Digital Subscriber lines are still shared once you get back to the central office. I wouldnt say one is any better in that regard.
erikthebean
join:2007-06-25
Milford, NH

erikthebean to Vertigo1019

to Vertigo1019
VantagePoint is FairPoint's new network that was built after the buyout. It is all new tech and uses a different upstream from the old network that came with the FairPoint territory when bought from Verizon. The VantagePoint network is mostly available where the older network wasn't available. I figured some clarification was needed.