how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

egilbe

join:2011-03-07
reply to Nfurber2

Re: [availability] Fairpoint Vantage Point DSL Chesterville Main

DSL and ADSL, if I'm not mistaken are dedicated subscriber lines and you won't share bandwidth, unlike TWC. I was blaming my dial-up like speeds since I went to DSL on Boston and NY Alter.net peering server congestion. I just want to make sure there is an improvement before I decide on Vantage point, and then find I run into the crappy ping and download speeds.

Sometimes download speeds are limited by the senders upload speeds. Nothing you can do about that.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

1 recommendation

said by egilbe:

DSL and ADSL, if I'm not mistaken are dedicated subscriber lines and you won't share bandwidth, unlike TWC.

Digital Subscriber lines are still shared once you get back to the central office. I wouldnt say one is any better in that regard.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

erikthebean

join:2007-06-25
Manchester, NH
reply to Vertigo1019

VantagePoint is FairPoint's new network that was built after the buyout. It is all new tech and uses a different upstream from the old network that came with the FairPoint territory when bought from Verizon. The VantagePoint network is mostly available where the older network wasn't available. I figured some clarification was needed.