uniqs
share rss forum feed

paintref
Look, I see stars

join:2003-02-21
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Can you carry a copy of your driver's license in Texas?

Can anyone tell me if it is legal in the state of Texas to carry a copy of your driver's license?

Reason I am asking is, I am a volunteer firefighter and when I get a call, I almost always forget to grab my wallet, so what I was thinking of doing is keeping a copy of my license in the car (Yeah I know, be careful when doing this due to the possibility of identity theft).

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:2
At the worst, if you showed up for your ticket hearing and showed that you do have a fully valid DL, I think it would be dismissed.

ggmorton

join:2002-07-24
Houston, TX
reply to paintref
I think if you are driving, then yes you need the actual license according to the law.

Otherwise, you don't need to carry it with you.

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
join:2001-04-03
N. Absentia
kudos:1
reply to paintref
Disclaimer: I am NOT a lawyer, nor will they allow me to portray one on TV

When operating a motor vehicle the driver is required to have a valid (read original, referencing your question) driver's license on his/her person. A copy is not legal under the letter of the law in the state of Texas, though the temporary paper copy issued by the DPS is valid till issuance of permanent card.

Although Texas does not currently have a so called "stop and identify" law that I am aware of, there is this statute:

Texas Penal Code, Title 8, §38.02(a)
A person commits an offense if he intentionally refuses to give his name, residence address, or date of birth to a peace officer who has lawfully arrested the person and requested the information.

A traffic citation also constitutes "arrest" in application of this statute. Having a bubble light and speeding to a fire, it may behoove you to carry proper ID to avoid being detained while awaiting verification.
--
How you can make the world a Better Place

paintref
Look, I see stars

Houston, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by mr sean:

A traffic citation also constitutes "arrest" in application of this statute. Having a bubble light and speeding to a fire, it may behoove you to carry proper ID to avoid being detained while awaiting verification.
Only thing is, I don't have a bubble light...the only items I have on my car that identifies me as a firefighter is my FD stickers and my "Certified Firefighter" License plate.

Besides, I would never dream of lying to a police officer. I know better than that.

But point taken.

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
join:2001-04-03
N. Absentia
kudos:1
said by paintref:

Besides, I would never dream of lying to a police officer. I know better than that.
Naturlich.
My concern would be a delay in performing a critical job while a peace officer was trying to verify the copy of your license.

Out of curiosity:
Are volunteer firefighters still allowed to have bubble (or booboo) lights on when responding to a call in personal vehicles?

I know this was common practice many years ago when I lived in the northern suburbs (FM 1960 area) of Houston.
--
How you can make the world a Better Place

paintref
Look, I see stars

Houston, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
mr sean See Profile
Out of curiosity:
Are volunteer firefighters still allowed to have bubble (or booboo) lights on when responding to a call in personal vehicles?

I know this was common practice many years ago when I lived in the northern suburbs (FM 1960 area) of Houston.
I cannot speak for other fire departments but my own.

We are allowed to use a lightbar (full size or mini) & sirens, provided that we are an approved engineer/operator on our engines (Or approved driver to keep things simple).