spc
Search similar:

uniqs

cmfg
@cox.net

cmfg

Anon

[LA] Cox New Orleans speed

Hey i am in new orleans 70118 paying for cox preferred internet. so i am supposed to get speeds up to 12mbps and instead i am getting the below:

I just got a new router today, a linksys E2000 in hopes it may have just been my old router causing slow speeds. Modem is the Motorola SB5101U.

Anyway to get my speed up or should i downgrade my cox internet to the 3mbps. Don't want to pay for the 12mbps if i cannot get anywhere close to it.

craig70130
Premium Member
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

craig70130

Premium Member

What about when you test during the day? Your part of town has alot of college folk/torrent users and they may be saturating your node during prime time.

Also, your ping seems very high considering you're testing to a local server. Are you sure you aren't running anything else that is using bandwidth while you are testing? If not, you should register for an account here and send a PM to one of the N.O. support folks with your modem MAC address and they can check your line signals. (N.O. support folks listed in a sticky at the top)

cmfg
@cox.net

cmfg

Anon

Thanks for the response. Currently only this computer running and nothing on that would be using more bandwidth.

Will check the speeds during off hours and see how they go.

I will go ahead and get an account set up to see if the support people can doing anything about it.

craig70130
Premium Member
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

craig70130

Premium Member

Good luck. The support folks here will take care of you.
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix to cmfg

to cmfg
what happen when you test the speed when connected directly to the modem.

cmfg
@cox.net

cmfg to cmfg

Anon

to cmfg

ugh

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to cmfg

Premium Member

to cmfg
Something is wrong. Your ping is way too high. Can you try another speed test site?

kv2009
join:2009-09-14
Kenner, LA
·Cox HSI

kv2009 to cmfg

to cmfg
Point your browser to »192.168.100.1/cmSignal.htm and copy and paste the signal levels page from your modem web diagnostics screen. Post them here so we can take a look. The logs page wouldn't be bad either, but be sure to edit out the MAC addresses if you do that.
cmfg
Premium Member
join:2010-11-12
New Orleans, LA

cmfg

Premium Member

Thanks for all the replies. I will check into those when i get back home from work.

Meanwhile, at my work (small local business) in 70125, also on a preferred cox plan w/ modem sb5120 and a linksys e2000 router.

xbiohazardx
join:2004-12-10
Lake Forest, CA

xbiohazardx to cmfg

to cmfg
I'm having the same exact issue but in California.. I'm getting roughly 1-1.5mb/s down and 120-300~ latency when I normally get 20.

GoldSnapper
@cox.net

GoldSnapper

Anon

Node was allegedly split on 10/21 still getting terrible speeds in Lower Garden district. Was told that they needed to "re-balance loads." Can anybody tell me what is going on?

kv2009
Kenner, LA
·Cox HSI

kv2009 to cmfg

to cmfg
Well "rebalancing loads" sounds like a "virtual" node split. If they had done a physical node split on 10/21 you should be seeing better speeds right now, barring any other kind of issue going on.

My node was split earlier this year and I am still experiencing speed issues to this very day. :/ Not that bad though...I get down to 3.5Mbps downstream.

corncob
@cox.net

corncob

Anon

also in 70118 getting terrible speeds at all hours of the day

What is going on around here?

kv2009
Kenner, LA

1 edit

kv2009 to cmfg

to cmfg
The title of this thread is so contradictory. I wish I had good speed right now. I'm dealing with the usual ping hikes and slow speeds.

Westy
@cox.net

1 edit

Westy to corncob

Anon

to corncob

speedtest.net

Click for full size
cox.net/
I too am experiencing similar problems in 70125.

I have Cox Premier (Up to 28Mbps - realistically I've seen 25).

Its been like this for about a week. Upload speed often higher than download speed. I have tried connecting the cable modem *directly* to 3 different laptops.

Called Cox support tonight, they've put it through to second line support. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

I'm fed up paying over $700 for this kind of service.

Have ordered a DOCSIS 3.0 modem but I've seen much higher speeds with my current DOCSIS 2.0 modem.

Mod note: MAC address edited out for privacy.

madnmarigny
@cox.net

madnmarigny to cmfg

Anon

to cmfg
Experiencing speed problems from 6pm-1am ( no higher than 1 down but 2-3 up) but during the day getting 10-16down. subscribing to premier and not even getting close to the 25down advertised. have called tech support several times with very little response. Have had a tech out who said that our setup is fine ... what to do?
capteeou
join:2003-11-03
New Orleans, LA

1 edit

capteeou to cmfg

to cmfg
Make sure you call and get full credit for the internet portion of your bill. I'm on six months of credits so far. I check in about once a month to get my credit. The last billing rep I spoke with told me they were working on splitting my node. There's no ETA on when it will be done other than "hopefully soon". I'm in the City Park area.

Ikyuao
join:2007-02-26
Wichita, KS

Ikyuao to cmfg

to cmfg
Click for full size
low TCP latency
I'm getting from LA state speed test site and I confirm that there is no issues on an inside internal Cox network connectivity and also notice that ping times is much lower latency since I have disabled the TCP nagle algorithm and try it with disabling the TCP nagle algorithm and see what happens if you gets improved and if not, please re-enable the nagle algorithm back.
capteeou
join:2003-11-03
New Orleans, LA

capteeou to madnmarigny

to madnmarigny
Ask Cox to send out at senior technician (not a subcontractor) and have them check the speed at the pole. Setup your appointment time for the last time slot, 5pm-7pm if I remember right, since the speed works OK during the day. That's the same situation I have. Once they did that for me and saw the issue was on their end I started getting credits.

GoldSnapper
@cox.net

GoldSnapper

Anon

Flying on Premiere level in the Lower Garden District tonight.

Ikyuao
Wichita, KS

Ikyuao

your ping is soooo holy crap high! that could be fiber cut or something broken physical segent node networks that could be.

kv2009
Kenner, LA
·Cox HSI

kv2009

said by Ikyuao:

your ping is soooo holy crap high! that could be fiber cut or something broken physical segent node networks that could be.

LOL, holy crap high huh? That's funny man. lol It is indeed, "holy crap high." The speeds are incredibly slow as well. Even if your node was congested, that's the worst of the worst. It could be something else.
LAHSIhelp
join:2010-07-12
Baton Rouge, LA

LAHSIhelp to GoldSnapper

to GoldSnapper
Please PM me your modem's MAC address and your street address and I will check on your issue.

Ikyuao
Wichita, KS

Ikyuao to kv2009

to kv2009
indeed, that OP have a crap high ping times that his worst node segment issue, mine node isn't much issue at all so I would post a award to Cox about it
JDookie
join:2005-04-29
New Orleans, LA

JDookie to cmfg

to cmfg
Lakeview/Lakeshore area here. I've been dealing with these speeds all month.

After reading the thread about the newly applied D3, I just ordered a D3 modem in hopes that it will help give me what I'm paying for (Premier service).

kv2009
Kenner, LA
·Cox HSI

kv2009

said by JDookie:

Lakeview/Lakeshore area here. I've been dealing with these speeds all month.

[att=1]

After reading the thread about the newly applied D3, I just ordered a D3 modem in hopes that it will help give me what I'm paying for (Premier service).

If the node you're on is D3 active, you should definitely see an improvement in speed. I believe a load of nodes have gone active since the 7th of December so yours may be on the list. You may want to PM an engi/tech on here and give them your MAC ID to see if the node you are on is D3 active.
jmuskratt
join:2000-11-21
New Orleans, LA

1 edit

jmuskratt to cmfg

to cmfg
Yup, in 70125 as well and my speeds go to crap from 6pm until about midnight. I'd rather not have to buy a new D3 modem to get what I'm paying for...but then, I'm on a crazy discounted promo rate for preferred that I don't want to fool with...so, here I am, constantly buffering on Netflix.

Of note, during a weekday, I'll easily pull down 18+Mbps, and some mornings I've gotten as high as over 25Mbps.
JDookie
join:2005-04-29
New Orleans, LA

JDookie to kv2009

to kv2009
Went to Cox retail outlet today, and purchased a SB6120 for $50, got home, and it won't connect. I called tech support and they said everything was input on their end correctly and have no clue why it won't connect so now I have a service call scheduled for New Year's Eve. This is not looking good.

CoxTOC1
join:2007-05-15
Newport News, VA

CoxTOC1

JDookie See Profile could you PM me the modems MAC address so I can take a look at it?
jmuskratt
join:2000-11-21
New Orleans, LA

jmuskratt to JDookie

to JDookie
Whoa, they're $77 on Newegg...how is it cheaper at the retail store?