how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ramonjamon

join:2010-11-13
Cape Coral, FL

Modem For CenturyLink DSL

I'm planning on cutting the (Comcast) cable soon. We may get 10mb DSL now and possibly add Prism TV later when it becomes available here in NE Cape Coral. But if I buy my own modem now, any recommendations on what I should buy? I read somewhere that some modems are sold for specific regions. Someone posted that his modem was for western US and wouldn't work in South Florida. Any truth to that?

tstolze
Premium
join:2003-08-08
O Fallon, MO
kudos:1
I am not sure about Prism TV, but with Uverse you have to use their modem.

pwtenny

join:2010-10-11
Danbury, NC
UVerse is AT&T's Fiber To The Node service (and then VDSL). It has nothing to do with CenturyLink.

tstolze
Premium
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
said by pwtenny:

UVerse is AT&T's Fiber To The Node service (and then VDSL). It has nothing to do with CenturyLink.
It is similar in that it is providing video over 1-2 copper pairs, this will likely require a special modem/gateway like Uverse.
--
Ofallon, Mo Weather
St. Peters, Mo Weather

ramonjamon

Cape Coral, FL
Maybe I confused the issue by mentioning the Prism TV. It is not available yet in my area. For the DSL only, is there a difference in modems for different areas, i.e. CenturyLink in S Florida? Any recommendations on a modem that I could purchase? Thanks in advance.

tstolze
Premium
O Fallon, MO
I have had good luck with the Dlink all in one modems. Just make sure it is ADSL2 capable and you will be fine.

BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI
reply to ramonjamon
I like Actiontec & Netopia modems so far.Have no luck with 2Wire or Westell

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to pwtenny
As a brand, certainly not. But the underlying technology? The CL site for Prism TV describes it as "fiber-optic technology". So it is either FTTP using GPON (as is FiOS), or FTTN using VDSL (as is U-verse). Either way, you probably get an ISP supplied residential gateway.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

tstolze
Premium
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
said by NormanS:

As a brand, certainly not. But the underlying technology? The CL site for Prism TV describes it as "fiber-optic technology". So it is either FTTP using GPON (as is FiOS), or FTTN using VDSL (as is U-verse). Either way, you probably get an ISP supplied residential gateway.
They are actually using ADSL2 for the service, I wouldn't think they would offer it over a single pair beings they have rolled out pair bonding with ~25 down being seen. That is why I mentioned to the op so they wouldn't waste money on a modem only to have to get one from CTL if/when they get PrismTV.
--
Ofallon, Mo Weather
St. Peters, Mo Weather

Sphincter

join:2002-06-20
Fort Myers, FL
reply to ramonjamon
The supplied EQ-600R ADSL Modem will function fine on a 10M line. If you need more than one network port you can always add your own wired/wireless router to the 660. Many folks do and it seems to work best by bridging the 660.

Some folks prefer to run their own combinations. I have a Netgear DG834GT that is an integrated ADLS Modem/wired/wireless Router/Gateway. It works quite well. CenturyLink has a 660HW which adds 4 wired ports and wireless capability to the standard 660R. Recently CenturyLink started charging monthly rental fees on all ADLS devices they provide. Embarq did not do this for the standard offer.

If you op for Prism TV, then you must use the provided Cisco product. It uses two metallic phone circuits in a bonded fashion to yield a 25M circuit. (no fiber optic at the customer premise.) You can read more about it on this thread ...

»CenturyLink 25M package = SWFLA

The first response to the post has a link to the Cisco DDR2200 pdf.

Also keep in mind that each IPTV stream uses about 20% of your 25M line. So 2 TV's and 2 DVR's leave you about a 5M DSL circuit for your internet.

Hope this helps.

fcampbel

join:2010-11-22
I've had my CenturyLink DSL modem since it was Sprint. It has never been changed. Most of my computers are that old too. Recently, my son has been complaining about connection speed and he turns off all computers when he is playing an on-line game. I would like to get a new DSL modem. Can I buy any brand from any outlet and plug it in?

ramonjamon

Cape Coral, FL
reply to Sphincter
Thanks for all the replies. Although I am planning on the PrismTV, it is difficult to say when (or if) it may become available in my area. Until then, I would prefer to use my own modem rather than rent one.

Currently I use a wireless router connected to the cable modem and my wired gigabit network. It has always worked well, so really I would just need to swap the cable modem with a ADSL modem. I've seen Motorola ADSL modems advertised for "southwest areas" and "southeast areas". Is the difference just the firmware?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by ramonjamon:

I've seen Motorola ADSL modems advertised for "southwest areas" and "southeast areas". Is the difference just the firmware?

Basically, yes. Just firmware. As long as you remember this: These modems are running the firmware for the AT&T Yahoo! HSI service, and the difference between "southwest" and "southeast" is actually the difference between the legacy SBC regions (which are more than just "southwest", including "west", "midwest", and "northeast"), and the legacy Bellsouth region (which is "southeast").

The merger history of AT&T is more convoluted than the merger history of CenturyLink; and AT&T was actually bought by SBC, which re-branded as, "AT&T" after it bought AT&T.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum