spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pivonka571
join:2005-02-03
La Crosse, KS

pivonka571

Switching back to a Sierra 598U from a Franklin 301U modem

I've decided to go back to my original Sierra 598U modem and discontinue use of the 3G/4G Franklin 301U modem.

IMO this should be a simple matter of plugging in the Sierra modem and using it, but I'll bet it is not so easy. Sprint has walked me through installation of my previous modems to the point that I have no idea at all how the process works. Somehow I have the idea that I have to tell the modem something about my Sprint account, and tell the SmartView connection software something about the Sierra modem.

Does anyone have any suggestions about where I should look for a step by step procedure for setting up a new modem, or switching back to an old modem?

There should be no contract issues, since I have the Sierra and am not upgrading, right?
criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

criggs

said by pivonka571:

Does anyone have any suggestions about where I should look for a step by step procedure for setting up a new modem, or switching back to an old modem?
I am no expert, and others here can give you more nuts-and-bolts stuff than I can. However Smartview is a dumb and compliant application. It can only handle one modem at a time BUT it has no objection to SWITCHING modems as many times as you like, since all account info is embedded in the modem, NOT in the Smartview.

So the only "procedure" involved, as far as Smartview is concerned, is to close the application, properly eject the old modem, preferably through the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the tray at the bottom, pop in the new modem, wait for the computer to get comfortable with that situation, and then reopen the Smartview.

HOWEVER, even if that 598U used to work fine with your account, it no longer does. That's because your account is associated, by the gods at Sprint, with a particular ID number that each modem has uniquely. And currently Sprint's gods have your account associated with the ID number associated with your Franklin. So you still need their intervention to do this. You need them to change the modem ID number on your account from the Franklin ID to the Sierra ID.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the procedure to get your computer comfortable with the Sierra modem again, after having dealt with the Franklin on a regular basis. Here's where you need to apply to other experts here. I suspect, after closing Smartview, and then properly ejecting the Franklin, all you need to do is pop in the 598U and have the computer and the modem get to know each other again, but I could be wrong about that.
said by pivonka571:

There should be no contract issues, since I have the Sierra and am not upgrading, right?
My guess is probably not, depending on how your account is configured. If your account was configured not to take advantage of your Franklin's 4G capability (meaning you have a 3G only account) then there shouldn't be any contract or account paperwork issues.

On the other hand, did you have 4G enabled on your account because you were using the Franklin? If you did, now that you're going back to a 3G only device Sprint may insist on changing the rules of your account.

Were you actually using 4G while using the Franklin? If you were, the chances are you had an unlimited 4G/5gig 3G account. Now that you're switching back to a 3G only account, you will be hit with the 5 gig limit as an everyday immutable fact of life.

Of course, if you've only been using your Franklin for 3G usage this will come as no shock to you, since you will have already been operating with that limitation.

The only way this could possibly get tricky is if you had one of the old Sprint unlimited 3G accounts, like I do, which are no longer sold.

If that's what you had, and if you chose, for that reason, NOT to enable 4G while using the Franklin, then the change from the Franklin to the Sierra must be done VERY CAREFULLY on the part of Sprint personnel or they could wind up KILLING your unlimited account and slamming you with the 5 gig cap!

As a matter of fact, in the course of dealing with my current troubles with my Sprint 3G account, I did, in my desperation, briefly discuss with Sprint the possibility of rolling back my modem from the current Franklin 3G/4G U600 to my old Sierra 598U. The representative was terrified of doing that, telling me he was afraid of accidentally bumping me off of my unlimited to the 5gig cap, and asked me not to ask him to do it. So I refrained.

Hope the above is helpful, and that others will step in to fill in the holes I've left.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to pivonka571

to pivonka571
If you are switching back to an old modem you have to do a ESN swap with Sprint. Once that is done you insert the modem, open Smartview, go to the tools menu and select "Update Data Profile"
pivonka571
join:2005-02-03
La Crosse, KS

1 edit

pivonka571 to criggs

to criggs
Jim_in_VA & criggs, thank you very much, you have me well on the road. I've never been able to access the 4G network, and have a limited account - which I've begun exceeding since dropping other broadband services in Kansas and California. I'll see what Sprint has to say about changing my account's modem association.
------------
An early Sunday morning ramble: The modem association information has helped me make sense of a frustrating conversation with a Sprint service rep a few months ago. When the 301U was sold to me, the association change was apparently not done in the store or was unsuccessful. And when it did not work and I called Sprint for service I did not tell the agent it was a new modem. :/

I'm surprised at how little I know about post ADSL/Ethernet technology. I tried to understand and became more or less self sufficient when using those; when I got the cellphone and wireless broadband from Sprint I treated them as utilities like the old AT&T "Ma Bell" once provided. That's way premature, and after a year using both I am barely able to manage either of them, let alone coordinate them.

I've dropped two broadband carriers and a telco land line, and am now using Sprint exclusively. Sprint service is available through an independent telco across most of rural Kansas, and along the highways I drive going back and forth between there and the SF North Bay and Eastern Long Island areas. (It fails along the beach road on the Sound, East of Riverhead/Southold.) The Android Hero cellphone seems more consistent and reliable in providing internet access than any of the three Sprint Wireless Broadband modems I have tried.
pivonka571

pivonka571

OK, here goes. I have recorded the switch with Sprint, and have received (without disconnecting the pre existing connection via the 301U) a confirming email from Sprint.

The existing 301U connection has these parameters:
Network Name Sprint
System ID
Connected yes
Roaming no
MIP error,0
Signal strength (dBm),-96
Data sent 6782252
Data received 30038924
IP address 68.27.167.23
Gateway address 68.27.167.23

Device name {4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0012
Device Description USB Data Modem Driver (CMO6008) #3
Manufacturer Franklin Wireless
Modem Model FW301DOWMX
Revision U301SPR07
ESN 3B1DDC87
Technology CDMA
Firmware Version U301SPR07
Hardware Version 0.5
Modem Port COM40
User Name some.name@slowalkpcs.com
Phone Number redacted357
Home Carrier Name Sprint
Home Carrier ID 0
Prl version 60771
Imsi Redacted749

Speeds are pathetic:

BTW, I am in Petaluma, N. of San Francisco, so the distance is much > 50 miles, not . Speedtest.net gets my location wrong most of the time for some reason.

I'll post the corresponding information for a 598U connection when (and if) I succeed in making one.
pivonka571

pivonka571

Using the procedures at
»www.sprint.com/landings/ ··· Activate and
»support.sprint.com/suppo ··· 7-151555
I completed the switch and setup of the 598U & connected:

Network Name Sprint
System ID 4183
Connected yes
Roaming no
MIP error,0
Signal strength (dBm),-91
Data sent 417054
Data received 682511
IP address 0.0.0.0
Gateway address 0.0.0.0

Device name {4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002
Device Description Sierra Wireless USB 598 EVDO Modem
Manufacturer Sierra Wireless, Inc.
Modem Model U598
Revision p251120206-15-09
ESN 609C6B4E
Technology CDMA
Firmware Version p2511202
Hardware Version T598 Rev 1.0
Modem Port COM9
User Name REDACTED@sprintAAA.com
Phone Number REDACTED357
Home Carrier Name Sprint
Home Carrier ID 4139
Prl version 60757
Imsi REDACTED749

speedtest is, at least for now, much better:

But I have not run any of the updates to the modem that have been issued since it was last used (witness the Prl version). I fear that one or more of the updates may throttle the speed. We'll see.
pivonka571

4 edits

pivonka571

A first pass at update gives a current PRL at least:

Network Name Sprint
System ID 4183
Connected yes
Roaming no
MIP error,0
Signal strength (dBm),-99
Data sent 278000
Data received 413017
IP address 0.0.0.0
Gateway address 0.0.0.0

Modem Model U598
ESN 609C6B4E
Technology CDMA
Modem Port COM9
User Name
Phone Number REDACTED357
Home Carrier Name Sprint
Home Carrier ID 4139
Prl version 60771
Imsi REDACTED749

And the speed test is the best in a long time:

This is the way it used to be. My result approaches 50% of what speedtest.net says is the average for my ISP, Sprint.

[edit] and the next morning the improvement is holding:

The connection was a mess - nearly nonexistent this AM, but is now
Signal strength (dBm),-93
with a sharply reduced connection speed - but WHY? I may need external antenna support.

Limping along:

Still pathetic:

This is 1/3 the Sprint PCS "ISP average" as recorded by speedtest.net

Better:
Signal strength (dBm),-98

pivonka571

1 edit

pivonka571

I just finished driving from California to Kansas via I5, I40, & US54/56. I had the Sierra 598U card on my laptop running the entire trip; it held connections well though did require manual reboot of the modem three or four times.

I am now in rural West Central Kansas, preparing to install a CTR500 Mobile Broadband Router. That's a whole different kettle of fish, requiring a new thread. To close out this one, here is my Monday morning connection information, with the 598U, no router.

Only two bars.
Network Name Sprint
System ID 6499
Connected yes
Roaming no
MIP error,0
Data sent 1747667
Data received 3487670
IP address 0.0.0.0
Gateway address 0.0.0.0

Modem Model U598
ESN 609C6B4E
Technology CDMA
Modem Port COM9
User Name REDACTED@sprintpcs.com
Phone Number redacted357
Home Carrier Name Sprint
Home Carrier ID 4139
Prl version 60771
Imsi 7072807749

This is roughly 40% of the Sprint PCS average as calculated by Speedtest.com from the tests run by users of that website.

OK, I stopped the Sprint SmartView program, unplugged the Sierra 598U modem from the laptop, plugged the modem into the Cradlepoint CTR500CP wireless broadband router, and ran the speedtest:

This is an apparent improvement of some significance. Very interesting.