how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Vertigo1019

join:2010-11-11
Farmington, ME

[speed/latency] Quesiton about Fairpoint Packages for gaming usa

Hello just about the only thing I use the Internet for is gaming on dial up and I am curious to what fair point dsl package I should get when the Vantage point is finished on my street.

I currently have 6 Computers, 2 Xbox 360s, 2 Blue Ray players with networking cord attached and a WII

My dsl is not yet ready not having any line work done yet but I do think its coming soon because the Valley Road and Pope Roads have 15MB dsl and my house is 5 houses down the road from the roads that connect to mine.

Gaming on dial up is a pain in the royal butt and the only thing I have ever been able to play is Blizzard games online like world of Warcraft, Starcraft 2, Diablo 2 that's about it.. Can't wait to finally get something decent

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

Re: [speed/latency] Quesiton about Fairpoint Packages for gaming

Gaming is more sensitive to latency then download speed. Want to pick a speed that yields enough margin so you can use Fastpath rather then Interleave.

Interleave makes reduces susceptibility to noise but add latency. If you are on dial-up now any form of DSL or Cable will be a vast improvement.

/tom

Vertigo1019

join:2010-11-11
Farmington, ME

So Interleave reduces noise but fast path reduces latency???

Awe I am so confused.. if I get fast path does it effect my downloads in any way? If not then why dont every one use fast path?

Also how do I go about having fair point set up fast path when they come to hook up my vantage point dsl?

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

said by Vertigo1019:

if I get fast path does it effect my downloads in any way? If not then why dont every one use fast path?

Also how do I go about having fair point set up fast path when they come to hook up my vantage point dsl?
Fastpath and Interleave are a single entity. Default is Interleave. If latency is more important then error recovery customer can request fastpath.

DSL lines are prone to noise bursts from many sources such as: lightning, ignition noise, radio transmissions and power line faults. DSL spec writers were aware of this and included forward error correction. FEC adds check bits to the data. If noise corrupts a few bits the check bits are used to recover the data. As long as only a few bits are damaged the receiver is able to correct the error avoiding need for retransmitssion.

The key is that only a few damaged bits can be recovered. If noise burst corrupts too many bits receiver is not able to correct damage. When that happens bad packet is passed to higher layer protocol. In the case of TCP/IP TCP requests retransmission. Needless to say this take a "long" time. UDP/IP, used with VoIP and streaming data does not have a retransmission scheme. There is not enough time to retransmit the data before it is needed. Streaming applications have provisions to “fake” missing data. How badly missing data affects quality depends on application and what data is damaged.

Now lets talk about the magic of interleave. When interleave is turned on bits from several frames are interleaved in time. If noise burst is long relative to bit time it corrupts many bits. When the receiver deinterleaves incoming data corrupt bits are now spread across multiple frames - increasing odds FEC is able to correct them. This eliminates need for retransmission or application having to fake missing data.

Something else to keep in mind is that as speed increases the number of bits affected by a given noise burst increases. Lets say a given noise burst corrupts a single bit at 768 kbps. At 1500 two bits and at 3000 four are affected by the same pulse. Also as speed increases margin decreases making transmission more susceptible to noise corruption.

The downside of Interleave is slightly higher first hop Ping, because multiple frames are processed as a single entity. The penalty for Interleave goes down as speed goes up since a given frame takes less time to transmit at higher speed.

Unless you are an avid gamer interested in absolute lowest possible ping time Interleave is transparent. Other network issues usually swamp out the slight increase (10-20 ms) in first hop ping. Telcos did not implement Interleave to annoy gamers; they do it to improve overall customer satisfaction.

As far as switching between the two options that is just a simple configuration change. Called billing to request the change.

/tom