r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

Speeding Ticket - Defensive Driver - IDriveSafely - Notes

I wasted a lot of time for this crappy online course to dismiss a speeding ticket I got for going with the flow of traffic.
»www.idrivesafely.com/
Here are my notes.
They are copy/pastings of the course, text of the videos, and the test questions I had.
That website does suck. The law requires 6 hours and it takes like 9 hours to complete everything. You can't click through the pages until a timer on each page expires.
Enjoy
--
Your behavior is inconsistent with your desire to be treated like everyone else.

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40

said by r81984:

The law requires 6 hours and it takes like 9 hours to complete everything.
Too much work.

Just hire Kubosh, Sprecher, Corrigan, Markowitz, or one of the other lawyers that specializes in traffic tickets. $60-100 legal fee and a 95% dismissal rate. After hiring Dan Corrigan, I feel like such a chump for actually wasting 6 hours doing online defensive driving...
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

So your lawyer got a ticket dismissed and you did not have to show up to court??? How did he do that?

Houston makes you show up at 8am and wait until 2pm to see the judge, you are not allowed to leave (somehow they get away with holding you hostage). During that time the prosecutor will try to give you a shitty deal periodically (not any better than the defensive driving). If you don't take those prosecutor deals then the only way to get the ticket dismissed is to see the judge who will only dismiss it if the cop does not show up.

The only way a lawyer has the power to get a ticket dismissed is if they find something wrong with it or they can somehow get the prosecutor to somehow drop the ticket for no reason. Why would a prosecutor do that??
--
Your behavior is inconsistent with your desire to be treated like everyone else.

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40

said by r81984:

Houston makes you show up at 8am and wait until 2pm to see the judge, you are not allowed to leave (somehow they get away with holding you hostage).
It depends on how busy the court is that day, and which court your case is being heard in. My uncle's case last week was completely wrapped up (dismissed by the judge) before 10AM. He did have to stay until 11:30 so that the court could verify his insurance information. He had two citations: speeding and no proof of financial responsibility.

One of my friends drives deliveries for a living and gets about 3-5 tickets per year. He hires the same attorney each time -- his dismissal rate has been ~95% in the Harris County JP courts and the city municipal courts. He tells me that Bellaire, Memorial Villages, and some of the other posh suburbs don't really play this game and that you're basically limited to deferred adjudication or defensive driving with them. Still not a bad track record, though...

said by r81984:

see the judge who will only dismiss it if the cop does not show up.
False again. The burden of proof is on the prosecution. It's pretty easy to blow most tickets right out of the water, especially since quite a few officers aren't even certified in the use of the equipment being used to measure your speed:
»abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti···=7749906
»abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti···=7749902

said by r81984:

The only way a lawyer has the power to get a ticket dismissed is if they find something wrong with it or they can somehow get the prosecutor to somehow drop the ticket for no reason. Why would a prosecutor do that??
Have you seen the court dockets for one day at Pct 5 or at the city municipal courts? We're talking hundreds and hundreds of cases scheduled within just a few hours. Putting up any kind of fight -- whether it's demanding to see calibration information, demanding a jury trial, rescheduling, or wasting the court's time -- sometimes causes the prosecutors to simply drop it and move on to someone who might actually pay the ticket or take one of their crappy deals.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr