how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dexter1992

join:2010-07-16
Winona, MN

Does Sprint Still Block DNS Servers

I just want to know if Sprint blocks dns servers, I would like to use the dns advantage server numbers. »www.dnsadvantage.com/

I use an mbr-1000 when I use static dns servers and set them for open dns, I do not pass the open dns welcome page, but if I use the bypass setting on router, it works.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
Yes they still blindly proxy the dns requests...

since you have a mbr-1000 you can use the open-dns workaround

Advanced, Webfilter, select "Minimal" radio button then checkmark the "Enable OpenDNS ISP filter bypass algorithm" save and after reboot you will be using opendns's servers instead of sprints.

If dnsadvatage sets up a dns tunnel with cradlepoint like opendns did they might be able to add a feature like this at some point... but currently your choices are sprint dns or opendns

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
Well I used nslookup in windows, and the server came up with the domain of dnsadvantage, so does that mean it worked?

dib22

Kansas City, MO
well.. i don't think so... sprint's doing a blind proxy... so they just re-grab the packets... run this test and see what dns servers reply:

»www.grc.com/dns/dns.htm

(the initiate button is down at the bottom)

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
reply to Dexter1992
Thanks for the link, It appears you were right the dns queries are coming from my default sprint dns servers at 68.28.146.92.

Also the open dns bypass only works with dns relay on in the router, and I am not sure why.

dib22

Kansas City, MO
said by Dexter1992:

Also the open dns bypass only works with dns relay on in the router, and I am not sure why.
"DNS Relay" is cradlepoint speak for "let the router act as the dns to the clients".

When that is checked it will announce to the machines that connect to it... that it is the dns server... which let's the mbr1000 ask opendns instead of asking "whoever" and getting blindly proxied into sprint's dns.

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
reply to Dexter1992
So I have decided to stay with Sprint's dns servers, the test said both my dns servers, were excellent. I wanted to know about this because sometimes my dns server goes down, and I can't get online, so I use the OpenDNS bypass to get back online. Also would you recommend having dns relay on or off. I ask because I have read that dns relay is a bit faster in response to machines because it caches the dns, but have also read that dns relay causes load on the router, and this causes problems. I currently use dns relay off without a problem, but if it was faster, or more efficient to have it on, I would change it.

dib22

Kansas City, MO
said by Dexter1992:

So I have decided to stay with Sprint's dns servers, the test said both my dns servers, were excellent. I wanted to know about this because sometimes my dns server goes down, and I can't get online, so I use the OpenDNS bypass to get back online.

exactly my experiences... sprint's dns servers are good when they are working... but when they go down or get overloaded for days at a time all the people with the sprint cards at my work complain the service is down (when its really just sprint's dns servers that are down).

Also would you recommend having dns relay on or off. I ask because I have read that dns relay is a bit faster in response to machines because it caches the dns, but have also read that dns relay causes load on the router, and this causes problems. I currently use dns relay off without a problem, but if it was faster, or more efficient to have it on, I would change it.

the mbr1000 should have no problem running as the dns relay... you shouldn't see any difference in performance.