Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew to JLevinworth

Premium Member

to JLevinworth

Re: I See People for Anon

I'd have ignored anonymous posts from DSLR a long, long time ago, if it didn't horribly break continuity of threads. Plus, it's excellent reading material in the "Ask a Question" forum as they're the source of 99% of the trolls there.

In short, my views on anonymous posters are not welcomed in this forum and and as such, won't share them. Leave it to say that I wish that I was not required to see your "avatar" and that it's perfectly clear in other ways (i.e. the tag) that you're an anonymous user.

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

said by drew:

. . my views on anonymous posters are not welcomed in this forum and and as such, won't share them.
I think you just did share them.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

1 recommendation

GlennLouEarl to drew

Premium Member

to drew
In the past 10+ years I've probably posted anonymously (as in, not signed in) more so than as a member (as in, signed in). Sometimes from work--didn't want to sign in, sometimes from home--didn't care (hundreds upon hundreds of browser installs for testing and such). All anonymous posts get reviewed at some point anyway, so if you want to assume something about anonymous posters, that's your prerogative; but I think there may be just as many "member trolls" as there are non-member ones, so, not much difference between one and the other. Of course, I don't come here for my "entertainment".

JLevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JLevinworth to drew

Anon

to drew
said by drew:

I'd have ignored anonymous posts from DSLR a long, long time ago, if it didn't horribly break continuity of threads. Plus, it's excellent reading material in the "Ask a Question" forum as they're the source of 99% of the trolls there.

In short, my views on anonymous posters are not welcomed in this forum and and as such, won't share them. Leave it to say that I wish that I was not required to see your "avatar" and that it's perfectly clear in other ways (i.e. the tag) that you're an anonymous user.
You know, Drew, for some time now all "anonymous" posts are held in queue until they can be pre-screened and approved by a mod prior to posting, including this one and even those you enjoy in "Ask a Question" (You might realize that many of those are from actual members too besides site wide).

There is a much higher scrutiny to "anonymous" posts, than those of registered users who have no post pre-approval prior and therefore it's much easier troll by registering as member, as many seem to do.

Your solution is to ad-block (or otherwise) the offensive avatar. As you have suggested, changing the individuals username that is currently a blue profile link to say all "Anonymous" for only those, while putting the actual individuals username, for only those, as a sub-line below in the tag would require a much larger programming change to exclude and serves no valuable purpose (other than your own special problem) when the purpose was already served.

I have no doubt, it's already perfectly clear to you who is posting "anonymous" without the changes.

-Jim
2010-11-15 04:59:15 «--- when I posted this.
JLevinworth

JLevinworth to AB57

Anon

to AB57
said by AB57:

said by drew:

. . my views on anonymous posters are not welcomed in this forum and and as such, won't share them.
I think you just did share them.
Seriously. I was going to say, "recreational bias FTW", but I think I just got trolled. :\

I'm out.

-Jim
2010-11-15 05:00:18