This is a sub-selection from Cool
thatissick
join:2010-08-17
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

thatissick to cdru

to cdru

Re: Cool

I'd rather take slowed down dial up speeds instead of being charged $10/1GB overage any day.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

same here. plus 5GB is a lot of data for a mobile device. I don't hit 1gb a month as it is so wtf ever
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

said by ArrayList:

same here. plus 5GB is a lot of data for a mobile device. I don't hit 1gb a month as it is so wtf ever
...and I'll agree with you on this. Still, I don't even agree with a 5gb cap throttling speeds either - all the time. I DO think that when people hit what is considered their "cap" that the system would put you first in line to slow ya down (the user that is) and let those that haven't gotten their 'fair use' (as they call it) out of their service.

But, if the service can handle a user, even after 5gb per month, the system should let the MBs flow.

I look at it as a least-case scenario. It's NOT about consumption base unless it's sold as such. If ALL users were using, say, 50mb in a month, but 1 user of the entire base used 5gb, why slow them down at all? Now, this will never be the case, but it should be modeled this way if they're being honest.

It can't be sold as unlimited, even soft-capped, if it's about "network management" because "network management" tools would be smart enough to let even a heavy user through when the network could handle it. Besides, what if that "heavy user" is using the net ALWAYS between 12 midnight and 5am? .. when no one is really using it...?

So yea.. to throttle people even at 5gbs IS setting a "limit".. no matter how it's sliced. Still, however, I DO see a difference in tethering and mobile device use and I believe that carriers NEED to, right now at least, control use based on the device connected. Tethering is still where I'm SURE the mobile internet carriers are no where NEAR ready to handle a flood of users.
« It's interesting to see!Hmmmm? »
This is a sub-selection from Cool