uniqs

cp
Premium Member
join:2004-05-14
Wheaton, IL

cp

Premium Member

[request] Have outside links on the forum open a new page/tab

Every other forum I use on the net have their outside urls set to target=blank_. I constantly click on links, leave BBR and lose my thread.

Can we have links set to target=blank_?

I'm aware of my browsers ability to open links in a new tab using rightclick.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

Re: Have outside links on the forum open a new page/tab

I open links with middle click, to give a new tab.

I'm opposed to forcing this in the url. Users should have their own choice on whether to open in a new tab, new browser, or on the same tab.

*object*

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

justin to cp

Mod

to cp
Wikipedia (although it indicates external links with a little icon) does not add target=blank to them.

So why do people not lose track of their wikipedia page when clicking those links? just curious.

cp
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

cp

Premium Member

said by justin:

Wikipedia (although it indicates external links with a little icon) does not add target=blank to them.

So why do people not lose track of their wikipedia page when clicking those links? just curious.
Well, just my opinion, but I tend to wander through wikipedia and don't really backtrack to a previous page. When I click on an outside link on a forum, I normally want to continue reading the commentary on the thread or even add my own comment to the thread.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin

Mod

well rather than add a possibly troublesome user preference and generate custom HTML at this point is just safer to have the default state set so it doesn't preclude either option.

So in your situation you would just use middle button, or shift-click or control-click or right button menu 'open in new tab'.

cp
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

cp

Premium Member

understandable. thanks for the reply justin!