Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

red300zx99

join:2010-11-17

1 edit
reply to Badonkadonk

Got the call, usage was ~400gb, ~800gb, ~1.5tb

Well I got the call...actually I didn't answer it, I knew what it was about About a week earlier I had noticed my bandwidth being throttled. I did some research and on one of the comcast pages I read it was suggested to switch to business class. Then they cut me off, so I had to call them. I called them back and 'blah blah blah you were cut off for going over the usage limit last month(~1.5tb). We will reconnect you now, but if you go over the limit again we will suspend your internet privileges for a year.' This was my 4th month on a plan, my usage was ~400gb, ~800gb, ~1.5tb, and I was already over 400gb for the current month. I asked if there was an alternate service I could upgrade to. The response was no. Business class? Again, no.

The next day I called the business side and they happily transferred service for me. A few weeks go by and the service was fine, then I start getting dropped connections and wildly fluctuating speeds. A few times I dropped connection in the middle of some important engagements . Techs have been out here twice already, once to check signal levels(tech said they were fine) and a 2nd time to change modems(to an arris wbm760a). I'm still having connection issues and will probably call them again in the morn.

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1

Re: Comcast 250gb Limit Question

You're still subject to congestion management whether your business class or not.
--
-meh

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to red300zx99

most of the time the business support is really great

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to nerdburg

said by nerdburg:

You're still subject to congestion management whether your business class or not.
So there is a cap in business class? I always assumed there was and that its unofficial like the 250GB cap used to be. I'm guessing its like 20TB.
--
Bit Torrent is my DVR.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

said by heat84:

I always assumed there was and that its unofficial like the 250GB cap used to be. I'm guessing its like 20TB.
To put it in perspective, a 4-channel DOCSIS 3.0 downstream bundle is only capable of moving about 49TB of traffic in a month, and there are ~200-250 subs per downstream channel group.

I don't think there are any limits with the new congestion management system in place, but if you're trying to push 20TB you will almost certainly have your bandwidth "managed" to mitigate congestion.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9
reply to heat84

The congestion management system and the cap are two separate systems..

nottlv

join:1999-10-27
Chicago, IL
reply to red300zx99

Re: Got the call, usage was ~400gb, ~800gb, ~1.5tb

How easy was the "transfer" from residential service to business class? It seems--based on some of the other info I've read here--that moving to business class necessitates a truck roll, new router/modem, cancellation of your original service, etc. Was that the case with your service or was it an easy cutover?