Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to kim

Re: [new forum] Social Networking Forum

*Object*----Well thought out post, however, there are of course heavily used Social Networking sites already out there, and that would change the whole nature of this site. I have a FB page, however, I escape it by coming to THIS site. I really get tired of knowing/reading what people do every day.
--
If you need a re-format, just ask and I'll do it. If you don't need one, just give me 5 minutes with your computer, and you will.

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-25
ON
kudos:8
Thanks for your comments lordpuffer See Profile.

You are not interested in Social Networking. You would never visit nor frequent a forum about Social Networking. Therefore having a forum on Social Networking can't affect your experience at BBR. It's impossible and therefore your objection is illogical.
/Captn Spock

See I would assume you wouldn't ever notice it.
--
Sometimes I wonder if men and women really suit each other. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then.
- - Katharine Hepburn

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
said by kim:

Thanks for your comments lordpuffer See Profile.

You are not interested in Social Networking. You would never visit nor frequent a forum about Social Networking. Therefore having a forum on Social Networking can't affect your experience at BBR. It's impossible and therefore your objection is illogical.
/Captn Spock

See I would assume you wouldn't ever notice it.

I think I stated that "I have a FB (Facebook) page" in my post, and I come to this site to get away from FB. Thus, I do Social Networking. I'm sure that I would notice, however not use a Social Networking Forum on this site. Thus, my objection is logical.
/Captn Kirk
--
If you need a re-format, just ask and I'll do it. If you don't need one, just give me 5 minutes with your computer, and you will.

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
ON
Kirk your rebuttal has too many holes in it. This leads me to assume this is a ploy. You are playing hard to get with the ladies. I am on to you and your wicked ways....

--
Sometimes I wonder if men and women really suit each other. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then.
- - Katharine Hepburn

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
lol

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer
Except that this wouldn't be another "social networking" site... It would be a discussion forum based around on "how to" and the various other aspects, security, etc..
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
That would be fine with me......I post a lot of "how to" questions, so anything I can learn would be great! With respect to Captn Spock
--

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to kim
*sign*

A forum provides a single place for discussing issues related to the scope of that forum. If you're interested in what the forum is about, then it's a place for you to go for discussions of those issues. If you're not interested in what the forum is about, then it's a place where issues you're not interested in get discussed instead of having those discussions show up in forums where you do have an interest. So, sounds like a win-win to me. (Example: you don't like WoW, but lots of people do, but since WoW stuff is in the WoW forum--which you never go to, you're never bothered by WoW topics [except recently in All Things Unix].) There are probably plenty of members/visitors here who, unlike me, have an interest in social networking; if there are enough issues to sustain a social networking forum, then there should be one (which is true for any forum).

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
ON

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer
I too enjoy 'how to' type conversations, not fit for here though.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to VR Laura
*object*

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to kim
I've changed my mind, a little, after following this thread for some time. My initial reluctance to support the idea came from a misunderstanding of its purpose. If I understand the proposal, it would be more of a how to use FB, Twitter, etc. If that's correct, then I can support the idea. We have a multitude of how to use different software, operating systems, utilities, etc., forums, so what would be detrimental about how to use the different social networking sites effectively. I still object to adding a forum just to do social networking, but I support the idea of teaching folks how to use what's already out there.
--
Alcohol kills germs! Stay drunk... Stay healthy!

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
ON
That is exactly what I am proposing. I'd also like to focus on a 'how to' for professionals. Business pages and groups on Facebook and LinkedIn for example. Business etiquette vs personal etiquette is another area tricky to navigate for newbies.

Glad to hear you kept an open mind Pacrat See Profile
--
- - Katharine Hepburn

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Pacrat
said by Pacrat:

We have a multitude of how to use different software, operating systems, utilities, etc., forums, so what would be detrimental about how to use the different social networking sites effectively.

Um.. most (most) of the support forums support hardware or ISPs. Some do support software, operating systems etc, but for the most part, is hardware based. Do we have any that support web based applications? (with the exception of gaming) This is no different than a forum to support Google services, an idea that has been rejected many times.

I reiterate my position that existing forums can effectively support social networks.
--
standard disclaimers apply.
Expand your moderator at work

Mdoc
Ehh... munch munch... what's up, Doc?
Premium
join:2007-03-27
Sterling, VA

1 recommendation

reply to kim

I've read most of this thread (skimming) and I was gonna object, but I'm persuaded by Kim's arguments. Grobinette's comment was a pushover. I'll...

*sign*

...if the new forum caters to Kim's ideas. I'm opposed to the "social" aspect of a social network like FB, but not as it relates to business opportunities and professional contacts.

DigitalXeron
There is a lack of sanity

join:2003-12-17
Hamilton, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to kim

*STRONG OBJECT*

The problem is everybody is trying to tie facebook, twitter, myspace ("Web 2.0"), etc into anything and everything without thinking just because of the popularity of such sites. This forum is a technical community, if there are technical merits to be discussed about social networking, those merits can be posted to those respective forums.

I feel a social networking forum could as well, confuse people. For example, if you have a security issue with facebook, does a thread on that issue go in the social networking forum where security-knowledgeable people may not see that thread _at all_? Or does it go where it should, the security forum?

As large as social networking sites are, they aren't service providers* or vendors and therefore is outside of the scope of these forums. As I said, if there is a technical merit regarding one or more social networking sites, that should be discussed in technical forums.

* Service providers are different than content providers — many people forget this.
--
--Kradorex Xeron
[an error occurred while processing this signature]

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
+1

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to DigitalXeron
said by DigitalXeron:

* Service providers are different than content providers — many people forget this.

...starting with the service providers themselves.

Mdoc
Premium
Sterling, VA

1 edit
reply to DigitalXeron
said by DigitalXeron:

*STRONG OBJECT*

The problem is everybody is trying to tie facebook, twitter, myspace ("Web 2.0"), etc into anything and everything without thinking just because of the popularity of such sites. This forum is a technical community, if there are technical merits to be discussed about social networking, those merits can be posted to those respective forums.

...snip...

As I said, if there is a technical merit regarding one or more social networking sites, that should be discussed in technical forums.

The merits that your talking about are being disscused here to the end that we can agree on a (social?) network that caters to the technical forums. I'm not moved by anything popular. If companies use FB to facilitate business opportunities, professional contacts, and whatever else may be utilized (even technical training), then we ought to allow for it or discuss further on allowing it.

It doesn't have to bear the image that FB and the like are stuck with, that's all vanity to me.

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
ON
reply to DigitalXeron
said by DigitalXeron:

*STRONG OBJECT*

I feel a social networking forum could as well, confuse people. For example, if you have a security issue with facebook, does a thread on that issue go in the social networking forum where security-knowledgeable people may not see that thread _at all_? Or does it go where it should, the security forum?

As large as social networking sites are, they aren't service providers* or vendors and therefore is outside of the scope of these forums. As I said, if there is a technical merit regarding one or more social networking sites, that should be discussed in technical forums.

When you say that 'this forum is a technical community" are you including the gaming forums like WOW and mafia for instance or the several social forums like regionally based chat forums are 'technical' in nature? Opinions on where that delineation should be seem to be largely based in emotions and not logic. The forums I listed are neither ISP's nor vendors and yet they are embraced or tolerated at least.

Did those forums I just listed get a lot of flack when they were proposed? I'm curious.

I'm getting bored with the "facebook sux" arguement.

Posting in forums can be confusing sometimes, I agree. Usually this is a helpful community and in my experience when a post could get better attention in another forum people suggest it directly to the user. Is an IE security question posted in MS or Security Forums?

We are a pretty helpful bunch most of the time. That's just how we roll here.
--
- - Katharine Hepburn

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
ON
reply to AVD
said by AVD:

+1

Eloquent, didn't you vote a couple of times already?

CCat
We're all quite mad here
Premium,MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland
kudos:21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to kim
After reading this entire thread, and if it would be the way the OP has outlined, then I believe it would be a plus.
I do not use any of the social sites at all, however many do.
If it can be of help to those who do use it then I will.....

***Sign***
--
I Live In My Own World, But It's OK.....They Know Me There.

DigitalXeron
There is a lack of sanity

join:2003-12-17
Hamilton, ON
reply to kim
My point is this:

This is true that social networking can bring about business relations, however, under this context such pages should be seen as "just another business web page" under the same merit if you were to have a full web site hosted at say, a cpanel host under a domain name. (Both give information about your company, both can allow people to contact you and you them, both can provide blogging, etc)

The only difference is instead of a hosting service provider, you're using a content provider to convey your business information.

What I am getting tired of is the attitude of "Social networking is special, it should be treated as something different than a site". A great deal of people seem to allow "link to my business' twitter" or "link to my business' facebook", but turn around and don't allow "link to my business site" because it's 'advertising'.

If we're going to start to allow talk about websites, fine, allow all sites. Not just social networking sites.
--
--Kradorex Xeron
[an error occurred while processing this signature]

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to kim
said by kim:

"facebook sux"

+1
--
( »Re: [poll] what do you think of/what should happen with Assange? )

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to kim
said by kim:

said by AVD:

+1

all joking aside... why can't I emphasize a good point?
--
( »Re: [poll] what do you think of/what should happen with Assange? )

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
ON
reply to DigitalXeron
The goal would be to discuss networking in the online world. Websites are a very small part of this. The most notable difference is that websites are static and social networking platforms encourage interaction and are much more personal.
--
- - Katharine Hepburn

Mdoc
Premium
Sterling, VA
reply to AVD
said by AVD:

said by kim:

said by AVD:

+1

all joking aside... why can't I emphasize a good point?

Because a "+1" is a vote.

Just joking

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to kim

facebook is not a "website"? is DSLR a website?