join:2001-03-25
ON
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to AVD
said by AVD:

said by DigitalXeron:

If you're a financial expert or insurance agent, you likely would not be browsing these forums for help unless you have some technical knowledge or desire to obtain technical knowledge.

GOOGLE

A Google search for tech help with computer issues returns results linking to forums. I don't recall the exact thread but I've participated in threads asking current DSLReports users how they got here. Majority said they Googled something technical and found the answer here. They stayed because of the helpful users and wealth of computer related info here.

You may find this hard to believe but not everyone here is geek. I understand that your experiences are different though and I'm asking you to open up your mind a bit and take a good look around. The skill level on this site is certainly higher than average but not exclusive to geeks. The top forums is proof of that. If BBR was all geeks the top forum would be "Advanced macros for Excel" and the busiest thread would be "Anyone here lose their virginity before 35?" not the current ones posted by drew See Profile above.

So, staying current and offering helpful information is what keeps this website thriving.

Social Networking isn't going away no matter how much you want it to. We can lock the doors and keep our little website the same, not change anything, ever to try and keep a few people happy
or
we can keep growing, changing and injecting new life into it.

Your/my opinion on this topic likely mirrors your/my attitude in every day life so we're not likely to ever agree on this topic.
--
Sometimes I wonder if men and women really suit each other. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then.
- - Katharine Hepburn

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to kim
If you were unsure of the power of Social Networking before:

Time Magazine named Mark Zucherberg 2010 Person of the Year
»www.time.com/time/specials/packa···,00.html

said by Time Magazine :
For connecting more than half a billion people and mapping the social relations among them, for creating a new system of exchanging information and for changing how we live our lives, Mark Elliot Zuckerberg is TIME's 2010 Person of the Year

Read more: »www.time.com/time/specials/packa···,00.html #ixzz18ffuscUu
--
Sometimes I wonder if men and women really suit each other. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then.
- - Katharine Hepburn

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to kim
said by kim:

said by AVD:

said by DigitalXeron:

If you're a financial expert or insurance agent, you likely would not be browsing these forums for help unless you have some technical knowledge or desire to obtain technical knowledge.

GOOGLE

A Google search for tech help with computer issues returns results linking to forums. I don't recall the exact thread but I've participated in threads asking current DSLReports users how they got here. Majority said they Googled something technical and found the answer here. They stayed because of the helpful users and wealth of computer related info here.

That's what I said.
--
standard disclaimers apply.
( »Re: [poll] what do you think of/what should happen with Assange? )

DigitalXeron
There is a lack of sanity

join:2003-12-17
Hamilton, ON

1 edit
reply to kim
If there is a technical merit, allow it to be posted in an appropreate forum, my grand point is I don't feel social networking itself requires a forum, it can be broken down into its more basic components. Social networking is not impervious to being broken down. Examples:

- Security ("I'm getting an ad banner that is serving up malware.. What do I do?")
- Web Development ("How do I link X to Y on Z?")
- Web Hosting ("What service should I use to host X?")

Sure, write a FAQ about stuff for social networking and how to ask questions about it, but please, don't generalize: "okay, everything about any social networking site goes in here, even if it could very well be posted elsewhere" as that is exactly what such a forum will do.

If I had a problem, I would look for a forum to specifically aid me, say I was looking on how to link X to Y or use application Z for my business, I would post in the Web development forum, as that is a web development activity.

I am all for this site growing, on a categorical basis, not per-subject, otherwise we may as well have a forum about search engines, a forum about email providers, a forum about video hosting providers, and so on.
--
--Kradorex Xeron
[an error occurred while processing this signature]

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
said by DigitalXeron:

I am all for this site growing, on a categorical basis, not per-subject, otherwise we may as well have a forum about search engines, a forum about email providers, a forum about video hosting providers, and so on.

horizontal vs. vertical integration.
--
standard disclaimers apply.
( »Re: [poll] what do you think of/what should happen with Assange? )

Mdoc
Ehh... munch munch... what's up, Doc?
Premium
join:2007-03-27
Sterling, VA

1 recommendation

reply to AVD
said by AVD:

That's what I said.

No, you didn't.
"GOOGLE" as the lone one-worded response isn't saying much, and now you're doing the same with "horizontal vs. vertical integration." Can't very well expect someone (or many) to come to an understanding that hasn't previously been defined.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

1 recommendation

reply to kim
*sign*

Saw plenty of rational reasons for.

Not many rational thoughts against.

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to kim
Some other topics for discussion
ROI
B2B and B2C diff. in approach
Using for recruitment
Designing SN Policy

I'd imagine in a SN Forum there would be a lot of discussion on communication in general as well. Strategies: the difference between having a good presence and Spamming - which we all despise.
--
- - Katharine Hepburn

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
Do you think my twitter bot should filter out 4SQ tweets from its RT stream?

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
ON
I think you're looking for an entirely different Forum Feature Request. I suggest you'd benefit from a forum on introductory social skills.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
Why do you say that?

You want a social media forum, but only on your terms. Then you say I'm antisocial?

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
I think you've made your point.

I've been forcefully reminded in this forum over and over again that you don't need to comment on everything and once you have said your part, move on.
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
said by drew:

I think you've made your point.

some might say I made Kim's point. OK, I'm moving on then.
--
Standard disclaimers apply.
Atomic batteries to power. Turbines to speed.

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to kim
*Like*

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to kim
said by kim:

I think a Social Networking Forum would be a great addition to this site. We could be a part of helping to form and educate how people use and view the rapidly growing animal we call Social Networking. In turn it also has the added ability to draw new members.

A nice idea kim See Profile.

There is a lot of things that could be discussed related to Social Networking and not just Facebook. We have Friendster LinkedIn, then there is Hotmail (Windows Live), Yahoo! and Google. All have gotten in to the sharing business. All of them have "privacy" settings to adjust. I wonder how many Hotmail or Yahoo! users have checked their accounts privacy settings or even know there are privacy settings.

Unfortunately, based on existing postings I've seen here at DLSR a Social Networking Forum would end up becoming a Facebook Bashing Forum instead. We have enough of that going on now without a dedicated forum.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Mdoc
Premium
Sterling, VA

1 edit
said by chrisretusn:

Unfortunately, based on existing postings I've seen here at DLSR a Social Networking Forum would end up becoming a Facebook Bashing Forum instead. We have enough of that going on now without a dedicated forum.

A good strong counterpoint. There's a period of a bit of social "hazing," too, in which you have to prove yourself. It's nonsense. I have a better social network, and it's not online

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

2 recommendations

said by Mdoc:

said by chrisretusn:

A good strong counterpoint. There's a period of a bit of social "hazing," too, in which you have to prove yourself. It's nonsense. I have a better social network, and it's not online

Are you both saying that it's a bad idea because some people would be too negative in there? Seriously?
"strong counter point"
You're joking right?

Do you usually just give up, roll over and play dead if things get a bit tough?

This website has built in ways to deal with trolling, flaming, bashing and name calling. It's part of every forum and no more acceptable in one than another.

I call that a cop-out, not a strong counter point but that's just me.
--
- - Katharine Hepburn

Mdoc
Premium
Sterling, VA
said by kim:

Are you both saying that it's a bad idea because some people would be too negative in there?

No.

Do you usually just give up, roll over and play dead if things get a bit tough?

I'm still here, ain't I ?

I call that a cop-out, not a strong counter point but that's just me.

Not a cop-out. I will agree that this counterpoint is only conversely as weak as your desire to remain.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to kim
said by kim:

Are you both saying that it's a bad idea because some people would be too negative in there?

Never said it was a bad idea. I simply pointed out the sad reality of things. Facebook bashing is in vogue. Just look at the Facebook related topics that have been started here at DSLR.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
All the more reason to have a forum for it. There, people can discuss social networking sites without having 20 people jump down their throats for it.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
said by Archivis:

All the more reason to have a forum for it. There, people can discuss social networking sites without having 20 people jump down their throats for it.

I hope people are going to be allowed to voice their own opinions,and it doesn't become a watered down cheerleader type forum.
--
Standard disclaimers apply.
Atomic batteries to power. Turbines to speed.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
That's what moderators are for.

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to AVD
When people are in a forum to discuss Social Networking or Social Media and ask valid questions they rightfully expect professional answers and not "Facebook Sux".
Opinions are fine but not when they're unsolicited. That starts to border or trolling.
The other benefit is that people will have a place to ask these questions and therefore won't be in other forums where perhaps you don't want to be bothered with such topics.
In a sense I would be getting all the Social Networking/Social Media stuff out of your way.
Think of it as a public service lol
--
- - Katharine Hepburn
Expand your moderator at work

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx
reply to kim

Re: [new forum] Social Networking Forum

Sooo, any word from Justin on this much discussed proposal?