Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to justin

said by justin:

...BUT for good browsers (cough cough) you always get a corner you can pull on to make it any size you want.

You know, I remember the days when site visitors using a browser other than Firefox would see a graphic (left-hand side as I recall) suggesting they upgrade to a "better" browser .... and the link took them to Firefox's site.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15

that's right! Back then, firefox was streets ahead.

I forgot firefox doesn't have resizeable text areas though. I'm not picking on it, and take my good browser comment back.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

said by justin:

that's right! Back then, firefox was streets ahead.

I forgot firefox doesn't have resizeable text areas though. I'm not picking on it, and take my good browser comment back.

Just out of curiosity, I installed Firefox 4 (beta). Still no re-sizable text boxes...

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

That's odd. I installed it, and textareas (this one, for instance) are resizable. The visual marker (drag "handle") in the bottom right corner is very faint though.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Looking closer... Nope, don't see anything nor does positioning the mouse pointer there suggest anything.

Just disabled all add-ons and making sure default theme is being used. Will restart FF and look again.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to justin

said by justin:

BUT for good browsers (cough cough) you always get a corner you can pull on to make it any size you want.

That's only for edits, correct? I see it in the edit screen, but not in the original post box.
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Gbcue

Still nothing (that I can see)

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to tmpchaos

No difference for me:

drag handle

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Click for full size
I'm familiar with that dotted-image (common on OS X, I think). Just don't seem to have it...

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

maybe firefox needs to be running on OSX to use that kind of widget.

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
reply to Hall

Guess what, just noticed something... when not logged in, the drag handle for resizing is there; when logged in, it isn't there. So, that makes it look like being logged in does something to disable resizing.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to justin

said by justin:

the corner is there when auto-resize is off, for example, editing posts. If you have a scroll-bar you have a corner. (webkit).

Nope. No auto resize and no corner using Opera which is my default browser. In fact, for all practical purposes it is now my ONLY browser. I have gotten rid of Iron because with the latest version cookie control is no longer possible in Chrome/Iron. I don't have Fx any longer. Safari for Windows also has no cookie control. I have purposely not upgraded IE6 on my XP Pro because when I have done so in the past that has messed up my email client (Outlook Express which I happen to love and do not wish to use another email client). So, Opera is it for a browser.

With Fx, I always used an extension for many, many years called Resizable Text Area. It was never in official Addons site.

With Opera, currently, all I can do here is expand DOWNWARD. I do that by immediately (before typing), and repeatedly, hitting the enter key until I get the maximum vertical size and then the scrollbar appears. But what I want is what I had with the Fx extension: the abililty to resize the text box BOTH VERTICALLY AND HORIZONTALLY. Further, I CANNOT preview here now because if I do the text box reverts to its default tiny size and cannot be enlarged AT ALL.

I have the corner to pull on Opera on every site I post at or I have a text box that is extremely WIDE AND DEEP thus negating any need for a pull corner. It is ONLY this site where I have a terrible problem. Why is that? How is it Opera's problem when the problem ONLY occurs at this site?

I have refrained from reporting this site to Opera developers as INCOMPATIBLE with Opera partly because the rest of the site works fine in Opera. However, post reply box is an extremely important part of this site unless you are just a lurker here. So, are you planning to fix this problem for Opera users or not? If the latter, I will proceed to report this site but I hope it doesn't come to that as I can't understand why you can't fix it for us. Surely, it cannot be difficult for you to give Opera users either a DEFAULT wider and deeper text box or a pull corner.

edit: Edit is very difficult to do here as I get a tiny box and no way to expand it. I can't even expand it downward. With a longish post it is almost impossible to find typos or where I left out a word or needed to change a word to a better word. If I had not had cataract surgery this spring and summer and was still using larger fonts, I would be unable to use my browser of choice here because with large fonts a tiny text box doesn't work as just a few words take up an entire line. At least, since I now can use 96DPI and small fonts I can use this tiny box but it amounts to torture to do so especially when this situation does not exist at other websites.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
reply to GlennAllen

as I think I mentioned before, when autoresize is on, there are no textarea controls. So editing a post == textarea scrollbar == autoresize off.

Anons don't get JQuery, and don't get autoresize.
So they get the scrollbar in all cases.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to GlennAllen

said by Mele20:

Nope. No auto resize and no corner using Opera which is my default browser.
With Opera, currently, all I can do here is expand DOWNWARD. I do that by immediately (before typing), and repeatedly, hitting the enter key until I get the maximum vertical size and then the scrollbar appears. But what I want is what I had with the Fx extension: the abililty to resize the text box BOTH VERTICALLY AND HORIZONTALLY. Further, I CANNOT preview here now because if I do the text box reverts to its default tiny size and cannot be enlarged AT ALL.

I just tested Opera (v. 10.63), and dynamic auto resize does work vertically. Nothing will expand the box horizontally. No corner if logged out.
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Oh, and

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to justin

Yeah--it just didn't "register" ( ) with me at the time (the correlation). Anons get the resize drag handle; signed-in members don't. (Having a wider textarea by default, though, is an improvement.)

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
reply to tmpchaos

You left out all the empty space on the left and right.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to justin

said by justin:

maybe firefox needs to be running on OSX to use that kind of widget.

Firefox 4, Beta 7, on OS X 10.6.5 ... still no drag-handle. I see the posts that it does show up for non-logged in users. Let me try that.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to GlennAllen

Click for full size
Just to confirm, when visiting as anonymous, I do get the drag-handle.

Mele20a

@rr.com
reply to justin

said by justin:

as I think I mentioned before, when autoresize is on, there are no textarea controls. So editing a post == textarea scrollbar == autoresize off.

Anons don't get JQuery, and don't get autoresize.
So they get the scrollbar in all cases.

Ok. I logged out. I am posting anon. I have NO drag handle using Opera 10.62. I also have NO vertical scroll bar until I hit Enter about 10-12 times. But getting a vertical scroll bar STILL DOES NOT give me any way to enlarge the tiny text box.

I also fired up IE 6, 7 and 8 and as an anon poster I have NO drag handle.

Do we all need to buy Apple computers if we want to post here anon and not have a tiny box? Or do we need to use Chrome or Safari for Windows where there is NO decent control over cookies....hmmm....I seem to remember the tracking cookies here...with Chrome and Safari the user has no way to block them....and those are the two browsers that work properly here now...not saying....but....???

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
reply to Gbcue

Something else (Greasemonkey script) you can try:

Textarea Drag Resize: »userscripts.org/scripts/show/10140