uniqs
share rss forum feed

ophelus

join:2004-01-11
Kansas City, MO
reply to Stem Bolt

Re: [Newsgroups] who knows a list of uncensored dmca usenet prov

said by Stem Bolt:

I think you meant moot. But your talking about popular content that gets re-uploaded on a regular basis. How about the more obscure stuff that's hard to find and not popular enough to get uploaded again countless times? Sometimes it's a one shot deal for "rare" stuff. Not everything gets re-uploaded dozens of times a month/year.

Yep, I mean moot but mute works too

I know your just kind of pointing out that giganews isn't perfect but unless you have some substance to your argument such as.. yah know they used to have this rare series called "lost in space" on their servers before a DCMA made them take it down..

I think your just arguing "semantics" I have personally been downloading from usenet since 2000 and in my experience when I have downloaded from cheaper providers such as "astraweb" or "newshosting" I have found often enough (or more than enough) that they have incompletes that cannot be "repaired" or require par's when on giganews no such REPAIR is necessary.. (I have actually had to use giganews service or the europe server with there's to fix some old/bad files quite a few times)

That has been my experience.. I'm all for the competition after all look we now have 850 days retention.. but I'm mostly sure if anyone is pulling it off "giganews" is..

In all my experience with giganews the only crime I'm aware there guilty off.. is charging too much and holding the retention record at 340 days and then not having enough space left to hold it.. and lowering it down to 300 or so.. a year ago or so

This so called "missing data" I have yet to run across.. but I am keeping my eyes open... if you have a example of something you wanted that's "rare" being removed.. I'd love to hear about that?

shaddix

join:2006-12-26
Sylacauga, AL
reply to Denun
Well. I just cancelled my giganews account yesterday because of DMCA crap and am looking for another provider, I had a good price with them too. World cup special, 20/month for their diamond service without the vypervpn stuff, but it's not worth it if I can't download the stuff I want right? I guess I'm going to astraweb.

And yes, screw the speeds and up the price, bring on the dutch. As I said, it's worthless unless you can actually download the articles, the rest of it is secondary.

Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA
reply to ophelus
said by ophelus:

I recently downloaded the blurays of dexter season 4.. I also have yet to see this "missing" data.. also this data was like 100 days old or something..

I was pleasantly surprised recently to pull about 700 days old data off giganews Obscure stuff (not the hbo/showtime missing data talked about)

Even though I said I was downloading as it was being "upped" I'm pretty sure that what I downloaded is still available.. and I recently deleted all my "caps" because I wanted the bluray versions Still haven't even watched any of e'm

To put it frankly DCMA takedowns is a mute issue in my book because they get one thing taken down.. and 100 copies get uploaded in it's place.. for example right now there are probably available in 800+ days of retention.. at least a minimum of 10 "english" episodes of dexter 404 in various formats

Yep exactly how I see it!
--
Wow talk about a mod being mad at me getting my gif to work without having to ask for help on the dslreports forums. Now they are mad I got my wish with Hurricane Katrina. Well at least mother nature will take care of that for me. xD Can't wait to read it

Premium
Kenner, LA
reply to Stem Bolt
said by Stem Bolt:

said by ophelus:

To put it frankly DCMA takedowns is a mute issue in my book because they get one thing taken down.. and 100 copies get uploaded in it's place.. for example right now there are probably available in 800+ days of retention.. at least a minimum of 10 "english" episodes of dexter 404 in various formats

I think you meant moot. But your talking about popular content that gets re-uploaded on a regular basis. How about the more obscure stuff that's hard to find and not popular enough to get uploaded again countless times? Sometimes it's a one shot deal for "rare" stuff. Not everything gets re-uploaded dozens of times a month/year.

That is possible but most of the time I see it posted at least twice sometimes only once though. Once we get to 1000 to 1500 day retention we should be in the clear almost with rare content! Remember anything that has been posted a year or two ago is on newsgroups indefinitely now as long as retention constantly keeps increasing! That and if there is no DMCA takedown notices but highly unlike on some providers.

Look at it this way you are much safer on a overseas only provider now than one in the US if you want to make sure you are 99% sure to avoid any DMCA takedowns.
--
Wow talk about a mod being mad at me getting my gif to work without having to ask for help on the dslreports forums. Now they are mad I got my wish with Hurricane Katrina. Well at least mother nature will take care of that for me. xD Can't wait to read it

Stem Bolt
Aka Smiling Bob
Premium
join:2002-11-08
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to ophelus
said by ophelus:

I know your just kind of pointing out that giganews isn't perfect but unless you have some substance to your argument such as.. yah know they used to have this rare series called "lost in space" on their servers before a DCMA made them take it down..

I think your just arguing "semantics"

People who are paying for Giganews are paying premium prices for a premium service. At least that's how Giganews has positioned themselves in the usenet market. That's how they are justifying their higher prices.

If I'm paying a premium price for a usenet service I expect to be able to download any content when I want, when ever I want within their retention limits. If I try to download a tv show or a game and it's been taken down because of DMCA, why should I pay a premium for the privilege of having to wait until someone gets around to re-uploading it? I want the content NOW, not tomorrow, days or weeks later.

You keep pointing out popular shows that get re-uploaded over and over. There is a lot of content that just isn't as popular. That doesn't get re-uploaded as quickly as those shows you keep pointing out.

That's why I choose to pay for a less expensive service and I'm able to get the content I want, when I want.
--
Panda Cloud Pro + Online Armor + WinPatrol + Router/SPI

ophelus

join:2004-01-11
Kansas City, MO
reply to Denun
said by Stem Bolt:

People who are paying for Giganews are paying premium prices for a premium service. At least that's how Giganews has positioned themselves in the usenet market. That's how they are justifying their higher prices.

If I'm paying a premium price for a usenet service I expect to be able to download any content when I want, when ever I want within their retention limits. If I try to download a tv show or a game and it's been taken down because of DMCA, why should I pay a premium for the privilege of having to wait until someone gets around to re-uploading it? I want the content NOW, not tomorrow, days or weeks later.

You keep pointing out popular shows that get re-uploaded over and over. There is a lot of content that just isn't as popular. That doesn't get re-uploaded as quickly as those shows you keep pointing out.

That's why I choose to pay for a less expensive service and I'm able to get the content I want, when I want.

Stem Bolt here's what I'm really saying..

Your argument against giganews feels more personal and less rational to me..

I will continue to pursue giganews as my favorite provider for a number of reasons until I see that using another would benefit me more.. or until I see the content I want.. "filtered" as you say..

But since you don't have any examples.. your argument is all about their practices vs. what they've actually done?

Because there's nothing in it to show me or anyone else for that matter what "data" they’re missing out on.. it's more like your sniping giganews without even bothering to check for yourself.. as I said again your argument seems "personal" not balanced

I can honestly tell you straight to your face "Stem Bolt" if I personally ran giganews I'd comply with DMCA rules too.. because I would like to give the appearance that I care about "copyright holders" rights.. even if I was in the very business of violating them for money

So if you prefer to pay your money to some poor usenet provider on some "moral" standpoint who has less completion and poorer retention then by all means it's a free country and a free market.. but I wouldn't knock the other guy without giving them a balanced spin..

Premium
Kenner, LA
said by ophelus:

said by Stem Bolt:

Stem Bolt here's what I'm really saying..

Your argument against giganews feels more personal and less rational to me..

I will continue to pursue giganews as my favorite provider for a number of reasons until I see that using another would benefit me more.. or until I see the content I want.. "filtered" as you say..

But since you don't have any examples.. your argument is all about their practices vs. what they've actually done?

Because there's nothing in it to show me or anyone else for that matter what "data" they’re missing out on.. it's more like your sniping giganews without even bothering to check for yourself.. as I said again your argument seems "personal" not balanced

I can honestly tell you straight to your face "Stem Bolt" if I personally ran giganews I'd comply with DMCA rules too.. because I would like to give the appearance that I care about "copyright holders" rights.. even if I was in the very business of violating them for money

So if you prefer to pay your money to some poor usenet provider on some "moral" standpoint who has less completion and poorer retention then by all means it's a free country and a free market.. but I wouldn't knock the other guy without giving them a balanced spin..

True. At least Giganews won't shutdown sense they are giving the appearance! They are fighting back in a nondirect way! Though like I said there is a way and always will be to get around DMCA rules. It is not up to the Newsgroup provider but the nzb indexing sites and uploaders. Around half and half. I don't think any DMCA requester actually goes on usenet or downloads headers to request a takendown. Why would they ? Easier ways to see if it is on newsgroups and report it.
--

Stem Bolt
Aka Smiling Bob
Premium
join:2002-11-08
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to ophelus
said by ophelus:

Not "moral" standpoint, but a financial one. I can't see spending 2x money when I can get basically the same service cheaper. Is that "rational" enough for you?

Giganews has maybe 7-10 days more retention then the provider I'm using. My provider has better completion because it hasn't been hit by DMCA. And I pay less then half. That extra 10 days isn't worth twice the price to me.

If you want examples of DMCA take down on Giganews, just read forums on other usenet NZB sites. Plenty of first hand Giganews customer complaints.

Hey, it's your money.

Good luck.
--
Avast + Online Armor + WinPatrol + Router/SPI

Premium
Kenner, LA
said by Stem Bolt:

said by ophelus:

Not "moral" standpoint, but a financial one. I can't see spending 2x money when I can get basically the same service cheaper. Is that "rational" enough for you?

Giganews has maybe 7-10 days more retention then the provider I'm using. My provider has better completion because it hasn't been hit by DMCA. And I pay less then half. That extra 10 days isn't worth twice the price to me.

If you want examples of DMCA take down on Giganews, just read forums on other usenet NZB sites. Plenty of first hand Giganews customer complaints.

Hey, it's your money.

Good luck.

That is true but remember there is a way around it. Not that it makes any difference right now.

Though it sure in heck will when all providers are attacked.
--

HansLanda

@hispeed.ch
I've been a Giganews member for over a decade(!). But after they deleleted almost 80% of the content in a.b.g.x360 i switched to astraweb. It seems to me Astraweb isn't affected that hard by DMCA takedown notices as giganews ist. Giganews is now almost useless for me for older releases ...

Premium
Kenner, LA
said by HansLanda :

I've been a Giganews member for over a decade(!). But after they deleleted almost 80% of the content in a.b.g.x360 i switched to astraweb. It seems to me Astraweb isn't affected that hard by DMCA takedown notices as giganews ist. Giganews is now almost useless for me for older releases ...

Yep that is the content that is mainly being taken down. People who don't go into that area on newsgroups haven't even noticed it but those that do have big time. It is not just that content though.
--

Kosh
We are all Kosh
Premium
join:2005-11-16
Z'ha'dum
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to 90115534
said by 90115534:

Look at it this way you are much safer on a overseas only provider now than one in the US if you want to make sure you are 99% sure to avoid any DMCA takedowns.

<russian accent=ON>

Do not worry, Comrade - I am sure the U.S.S.A. government will "encourage" other nations to do like we do, like happen to Swiss bank account of wikileaks. USSA law applies worldwide, of course.

By the way, you are scheduled for fair trial next Monday at 9 am, followed by fair hanging at 9:15.

</russian accent>

--
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. When you look into the abyss, the abyss looks into you." -- Nietzsche

Premium
Kenner, LA
said by Kosh:

said by 90115534:

<russian accent=ON>

Do not worry, Comrade - I am sure the U.S.S.A. government will "encourage" other nations to do like we do, like happen to Swiss bank account of wikileaks. USSA law applies worldwide, of course.

By the way, you are scheduled for fair trial next Monday at 9 am, followed by fair hanging at 9:15.

</russian accent>

lol at least the Russians are tough.
--

Pirate515
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Stem Bolt
said by Stem Bolt:

I think you meant moot. But you're talking about popular content that gets re-uploaded on a regular basis. How about the more obscure stuff that's hard to find and not popular enough to get uploaded again countless times? Sometimes it's a one shot deal for "rare" stuff. Not everything gets re-uploaded dozens of times a month/year.

I don't think the obscure stuff that you are referring to would be much of a target for MPAA/RIAA as these items are not their clients' cash cows. So if something that only select few want gets uploaded, I don't think they would even care if those select few steal it. I can even bet that if they were to release these obscure items legitimately, those select few who really want them would gladly pay for them. But since the interest for these items does not come in huge numbers, it makes no sense to re-release them officially.

The reason why I turn to newsgroups and/or torrents for some of this obscure content is because I can't get it via legitimate means even if I wanted to. It's either that or try to find it on eBay, and if you are lucky enough, pay some scalper an insane amount of money for it.

I think MPAA/RIAA are mainly trying to take down new releases that just hit the movie theaters, Blu-Ray/DVD or record stores. As they say, you've got to strike the iron while it's hot, in other words, make the most money off of it while it's new. That's why it's imperative for them to take this new and popular content down - the demand is there and if people can't get it for free, they will go out and buy it. Luckily, posters are hard at work and if one of these items goes down, a few dozen more of it will pop up to take its place.

With that being said, I have GigaNews and have yet to come across something new and hot that I couldn't get due to DMCA take-downs.
--
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies...
A MESSAGE to the RIAA and the MPAA: You shouldn't wound what you can't kill...

Premium
Kenner, LA
said by Pirate515:

said by Stem Bolt:

I think you meant moot. But you're talking about popular content that gets re-uploaded on a regular basis. How about the more obscure stuff that's hard to find and not popular enough to get uploaded again countless times? Sometimes it's a one shot deal for "rare" stuff. Not everything gets re-uploaded dozens of times a month/year.

I don't think the obscure stuff that you are referring to would be much of a target for MPAA/RIAA as these items are not their clients' cash cows. So if something that only select few want gets uploaded, I don't think they would even care if those select few steal it. I can even bet that if they were to release these obscure items legitimately, those select few who really want them would gladly pay for them. But since the interest for these items does not come in huge numbers, it makes no sense to re-release them officially.

The reason why I turn to newsgroups and/or torrents for some of this obscure content is because I can't get it via legitimate means even if I wanted to. It's either that or try to find it on eBay, and if you are lucky enough, pay some scalper an insane amount of money for it.

I think MPAA/RIAA are mainly trying to take down new releases that just hit the movie theaters, Blu-Ray/DVD or record stores. As they say, you've got to strike the iron while it's hot, in other words, make the most money off of it while it's new. That's why it's imperative for them to take this new and popular content down - the demand is there and if people can't get it for free, they will go out and buy it. Luckily, posters are hard at work and if one of these items goes down, a few dozen more of it will pop up to take its place.

With that being said, I have GigaNews and have yet to come across something new and hot that I couldn't get due to DMCA take-downs.

This is how it is for many! That is why they need to find a way to stream indie, foreign, etc releases as they are showing in limited releases in certain cities so that way the screenings can have a worldwide audience! I would gladly pay the price of a movie ticket to see a foreign film with English subtitles when it is shown at limited theaters like at New York City, London, Paris, etc.
--