share rss forum feed

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada

[request] Approval for post change

Red/Blue rooms specific.
I notice that the approval for post is allowed for only the room I'm allowed to post in at the time.
Please change this to allow the approval regardless of whichever room I'm currently allowed to post in.

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
kudos:6

Re: Approval for post change

Just for reference, here's a previous discussion on this topic: »[request] Can't give thumbs up??

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada

Ah, missed it, sorry.

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
reply to EUS

*sign* again.

It's more than a bit ridiculous that we're not allowed to privately agree with someone else in another forum because people feel "offended" by it.
--
"And Tehuno said let there be haste, not mp5, and there was haste. All creatures of the world rejoiced." -WotLK Ch. 3.3.2

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to EUS

*object*

There have been countless times someone has stopped posting in one of the rooms, waited the required time, and started posting and trolling in the other room. Allowing them to get thumbs up for doing so will just breed more of it.

Political forum posters are far more likely than other posters to use everything possible as a weapon, even a thumb up or approval. Political forums raise the hostility level on the entire site. It would be better if the 2 rooms couldn't read the other room at all.
--
I don't have a problem!

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada

Would you describe the trolls as the exception, or the rule?
As an aside, I would rather see no delay for posting in either room, but then again, I know that some people cannot control themselves.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing

When there was only 1 political forum, the Back Room, I would describe the % of posts that mainly were basically lobbing bombs at the "other side" as at least 33%. Possibly higher. It was the nastiest combat zone I've ever seen on the site, and was the reason for the separation. No amount of warnings and watches and bans slowed it down.

The political environment in general is more hostile now than when the Back Room existed.
--
I don't have a problem!

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

said by fatness:

The political environment in general is more hostile now than when the Back Room existed.

This is correct.

And I do not believe the current moderation policies which foster "oh look what the Red/Blue room is saying about..." discussions and don't crack down on poor behavior are enough to stop the problem.

I do not believe that allowing folks to "approve" of a post in another room will make the problem even worse.
--
"And Tehuno said let there be haste, not mp5, and there was haste. All creatures of the world rejoiced." -WotLK Ch. 3.3.2

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Bellevue, NE
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to fatness

said by fatness:

Assuming the environment you speak of is in the two rooms, this is mainly because of the split. Before, there were fights, but there were also compromises, and "Well, I never really thought of it like that" moments. Now, you've just got two circle-jerks that have festered for years and now they're out of control.
--
Blogsaus "Everyone bows to something. Everyone answers to someone. Wherever your treasure lies, there your heart will be also.

Who do you belong to? " - Andrew Schwab

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing

No, the environment I'm talking about is national political discussion in general. It's far more hostile now than it was when the Back Room was split (due to the hostility level).
--
I don't have a problem!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to EUS

This bugs me too I just go ahead and PM agreeing what he/she said.

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA

2 edits
reply to fatness

said by fatness:

*object*

There have been countless times someone has stopped posting in one of the rooms, waited the required time, and started posting and trolling in the other room.

Fatness if people do that as stated by you, it should show to you the Red/Blue room Theory doesn't work.

It's called having a Debate like what we're having here ...........
--
Support
»www.minutemanproject.com/