Premium Member
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA

1 edit

unoriginal to Denun

Premium Member

to Denun

Re: [Newsgroups] who knows a list of uncensored dmca usenet prov

Well the DMCA certainly isn't new by any means, its been around for a few years.

But there are a few main providers of usenet that I can think of:
Giganews
Astraweb
Readnews
Highwinds
Xsnews

The only one that I know for sure is entirely out of the US is Xsnews. They only have a server farm in the EU. All the others have service in the US and EU and would be subject to DMCA takedown requests.

Edit to add: I forgot about Hitnews: »www.hitnews.eu/index_en.php

They are also an EU only operation as well.

Stem Bolt
Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Premium Member
join:2002-11-08
Metropolis

Stem Bolt

Premium Member

said by unoriginal:

The only one that I know for sure is entirely out of the US is Xsnews. They only have a server farm in the EU. All the others have service in the US and EU and would be subject to DMCA takedown requests.

True. Any provider/reseller located in the U.S. is vulnerable to DMCA. But at this time "Readnews" hasn't been a target of DMCA take downs. That could change at any moment. Readnews is relatively tiny compared to the likes of GigaNews and Highwinds. Those two are like a magnet to DMCA.

From what I've heard Astraweb hasn't been hit with DMCA. But I hesitate to recommend them because they have been having technical problems lately. Many users have been complaining of connection and speed issues.

Not ALL Astraweb users but a large number are reporting these issues. Plus last December they had a problem with incompletes that ranged for several weeks of their retention.

There may come a time when everyone will need to use a Dutch usenet provider to download DMCA protected content. I'm not looking forward to that.
vasta
join:2003-04-07
Orlando, FL

vasta

Would it be wrong to start a list of companies?

HBO
Rockstar Games
90115534 (banned)
Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned) to Stem Bolt

to Stem Bolt
said by Stem Bolt:

said by unoriginal:

True. Any provider/reseller located in the U.S. is vulnerable to DMCA. But at this time "Readnews" hasn't been a target of DMCA take downs. That could change at any moment. Readnews is relatively tiny compared to the likes of GigaNews and Highwinds. Those two are like a magnet to DMCA.

From what I've heard Astraweb hasn't been hit with DMCA. But I hesitate to recommend them because they have been having technical problems lately. Many users have been complaining of connection and speed issues.

Not ALL Astraweb users but a large number are reporting these issues. Plus last December they had a problem with incompletes that ranged for several weeks of their retention.

There may come a time when everyone will need to use a Dutch usenet provider to download DMCA protected content. I'm not looking forward to that.

Why are you not looking forward to that? I am. Looking into using a overseas newsgroup provider currently anyway! Best of both worlds if you ask me. I don't have a problem using a Dutch, French, German, Russian, or whatever other country newsgroup provider.

Stem Bolt
Premium Member
Metropolis

Stem Bolt

Premium Member

said by 90115534:

said by Stem Bolt:

said by unoriginal:

Why are you not looking forward to that? I am. Looking into using a overseas newsgroup provider currently anyway! Best of both worlds if you ask me. I don't have a problem using a Dutch, French, German, Russian, or whatever other country newsgroup provider.

Why would anyone look forward to it?

I'm not looking forward to it because competition between usenet providers means better/more choices for the end user. Just look at what has happened in the last 3 years with usenet. Astraweb broke ground with $11 prices and retention increases. Which made their competition increase their retention and drop their prices. The result, cheap usenet and incredible retention for everyone.

If at some point in the future the Dutch providers become the only ones the can provide the means to download content unrestricted, then they can charge prices as they see fit with far less competition that would keep prices down. Or force providers to maintain quality and reliability at the risk of losing customers to the competition.

The Dutch providers can't maintain servers inside the U.S. without being subject to DMCA, so you would only be able to download from overseas servers. Which could lead to possible speed and performance issues at some point if you live in North America. The retention of Dutch providers is far behind compared those located in the States.

Have you come across any Dutch providers that can match price and retention of those providers in the States?

I still don't understand why you say your looking forward to it.
90115534 (banned)
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned)

said by Stem Bolt:

Why would anyone look forward to it?

I'm not looking forward to it because competition between usenet providers means better/more choices for the end user. Just look at what has happened in the last 3 years with usenet. Astraweb broke ground with $11 prices and retention increases. Which made their competition increase their retention and drop their prices. The result, cheap usenet and incredible retention for everyone.

If at some point in the future the Dutch providers become the only ones the can provide the means to download content unrestricted, then they can charge prices as they see fit with far less competition that would keep prices down. Or force providers to maintain quality and reliability at the risk of losing customers to the competition.

The Dutch providers can't maintain servers inside the U.S. without being subject to DMCA, so you would only be able to download from overseas servers. Which could lead to possible speed and performance issues at some point if you live in North America. The retention of Dutch providers is far behind compared those located in the States.

Have you come across any Dutch providers that can match price and retention of those providers in the States?

I still don't understand why you say your looking forward to it.

Well I used the European servers from providers and they seem to be the same speedwise.

I even used some of those dutch providers before and they are fine speedwise as well. One of them is even going to 1000 days retention, yes I know they still have a long way to go and only at like 300 or 400 something days now.

I am looking forward to it because DMCA requests can't touch it! There is beauty in that! All the people on here that are from the DMCA reading this thread right now, if there is one even, I can go haha to. Not that it matters. There is a few ways around DMCA requests on US based or have US newsgroup servers though. There a little bit a pain in the butt though but it works! I tried it.

Stem Bolt
Premium Member
Metropolis

Stem Bolt

Premium Member

said by 90115534:

yes I know they still have a long way to go and only at like 300 or 400 something days now.

I am looking forward to it because DMCA requests can't touch it! There is beauty in that!

I found it odd. I still don't understand why you would be looking forward to it.

I can understand liking the fact that DMCA is useless against the Dutch providers but actually looking forward to a time when DMCA effectively cripples usenet providers in the States is a mystery to me.
90115534 (banned)
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned)

said by Stem Bolt:

said by 90115534:

yes I know they still have a long way to go and only at like 300 or 400 something days now.

I am looking forward to it because DMCA requests can't touch it! There is beauty in that!

I found it odd. I still don't understand why you would be looking forward to it.

I can understand liking the fact that DMCA is useless against the Dutch providers but actually looking forward to a time when DMCA effectively cripples usenet providers in the States is a mystery to me.

Well the last part I don't want to happen but it was bound to happen sooner or later.

We all know a good thing can't last forever.

Like I said though DMCA requests can try to take down posts but it doesn't matter. There a way around all the DMCA requests if your smart. Yes by using your same newsgroup provider that has all the DMCA requests to begin with even. Doesn't matter if it is in the US or not. Still as way around it. Used it before works every time.

Stem Bolt
Premium Member
Metropolis

Stem Bolt

Premium Member

said by 90115534:

said by Stem Bolt:

said by 90115534:

Well the last part I don't want to happen but it was bound to happen sooner or later.

We all know a good thing can't last forever.

Like I said though DMCA requests can try to take down posts but it doesn't matter. There a way around all the DMCA requests if your smart. Yes by using your same newsgroup provider that has all the DMCA requests to begin with even. Doesn't matter if it is in the US or not. Still as way around it. Used it before works every time.

Please share this secret you have of getting content that's been removed because of DMCA request.
90115534 (banned)
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned)

said by Stem Bolt:

Please share this secret you have of getting content that's been removed because of DMCA request.

Your not going to like it but here goes.

Sure it is quite simple really and common knowledge I am sure. It is after all common sense. Just look for the content you want through newsgroup headers instead. One that was not a nzb file. Remember nzb indexing sites don't catch all releases of the same content. So it looks like people posting many different copies of the same content is turning out to be the silver lining of all of this! This works 99% of the time for me. What DMCA requester in their right mind is going to go through all Usenet headers to make sure they get every post of their content gets deleted ? Thank god for old school newsgroup methods to the rescue! Hopefully no DMCA take down requesters read this forum lol.

The bad side to nzb indexing sites is all a DMCA requester has to do to make their job easier is sign up to one and report all the nzb files they see that their company wants them to take down. Really sucks but hey it goes with the territory.
vasta
join:2003-04-07
Orlando, FL

vasta

Testing how long it takes, 2 days on and the files are still able to be downloaded just fine, guess I'll download a file or 2 everyday till they become totally damaged, I know it is close to 11 days though
90115534 (banned)
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned)

said by vasta:

Testing how long it takes, 2 days on and the files are still able to be downloaded just fine, guess I'll download a file or 2 everyday till they become totally damaged, I know it is close to 11 days though

Ok. As long as the files your downloading have not been created as a nzb file on one of the most known nzb indexing websites they should be fine. Otherwise there is no guarantee. Depends on what the content is too but that is a given.
Lenny_Nero
join:2005-03-11
England

1 recommendation

Lenny_Nero to Stem Bolt

to Stem Bolt

But at this time "Readnews" hasn't been a target of DMCA take downs. That could change at any moment. Readnews is relatively tiny compared to the likes of GigaNews and Highwinds. Those two are like a magnet to DMCA.

Readnews might be 'tiny' in your eyes with just 600~700 days but Avi, for one, has been working in and around Usenet/NNTP longer that most other names I have seen on this page as so called big Usenet.

Having used Avi's (Readnews) servers often over the last 10 something years I have no doubt in their ability.
After all they sell to ISP's and big companies, not just an end user they can blame the problem on, that is if they were even to admit there is a problem like most of the so-called big sellers do, or dont as the case maybe.

Stem Bolt
Premium Member
Metropolis

Stem Bolt

Premium Member

said by Lenny_Nero:

Readnews might be 'tiny' in your eyes with just 600~700 days but Avi, for one, has been working in and around Usenet/NNTP longer that most other names I have seen on this page as so called big Usenet.

Having used Avi's (Readnews) servers often over the last 10 something years I have no doubt in their ability.
After all they sell to ISP's and big companies, not just an end user they can blame the problem on, that is if they were even to admit there is a problem like most of the so-called big sellers do, or dont as the case maybe.

I wasn't attacking or insulting Readnews. They have 800+ days of retention which is competitive with other providers. As long as I've been using them through a reseller (2+ years), I haven't experienced any major issues.

Readnews is smaller then Giganews and Highwinds. That's just not in my eyes. It's a fact. Saying their smaller doesn't mean they don't provide great service. Being smaller in my opinion may be the reason they haven't been targeted by DMCA take down requests and allows them to maintain their servers and keep them running reliably. That is a good thing.

I have nothing but praise for Readnews.
Lenny_Nero
join:2005-03-11
England

Lenny_Nero

I wasn't attacking or insulting Readnews.
[...]
I have nothing but praise for Readnews.

First off, re-reading the thread it does not look as bad as it did in my mind the first time I skimmed thru, thats what I get for running too many boxes and not enuff screens.

If you were just to look at size and feed, or even cost, then giggle news (as giga news are known in the trade) could be classed as bigger, but I very much doubt that there are any people at Giganews or any highwinds [re]seller that have been working with and/or around NNTP as long as Avi Freedman has.