kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

1 recommendation

Smoking?

What is this idiot smoking? If I had a FiOS 50 meg connection, why would I want to downgrade to something slower for the same or only slightly less savings?

Whatever she's smoking that makes this sound like a good idea, I want me some of that!

BBBanditRuR
Dingbits

join:2009-06-02
Parachute, CO

1 recommendation

Well, let's play along with her logic:

50 Mbps is roughly 1 Mbps per $1 ~ $50 so....

It sounds like a FANTASTIC deal with Frontier's DSL @ 6 - 7 Mbps costing $6.99 right!

right?

wrong...

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

said by BBBanditRuR:

It sounds like a FANTASTIC deal with Frontier's DSL @ 6 - 7 Mbps costing $6.99 right!

right?

wrong...

I heard that. I remember reading a Frontier article that just about mirrors your math. I wouldn't pay for something that slow, but costs that much.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
reply to Chris 313

said by Chris 313:

What is this idiot smoking?

WOW, she's the Carly Fiorina of Telco's...

dynodb
Premium,VIP
join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
reply to BBBanditRuR

said by BBBanditRuR:

right?

wrong...

Trying to price broadband as dollars per Mbps isn't valid, and never has been. It would be like saying that a car with a 100 horsepower engine should only cost 1/3 as much as the same car with a 300 horsepower motor.

BBBanditRuR
Dingbits

join:2009-06-02
Parachute, CO

said by BBBanditRuR :

The hint is in bold.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to dynodb

Even then.. Let's look at actual math here..

$40 for her 7mbps (if that) DSL connection = $5.14/mbps
$90 (or $140) for a 50/20mbps FiOS connection = $1.79 (or $2.80)/mbps
..or.. $65 for a 20/20mbps FiOS connection = $3.25/mbps

Still.. the FiOS connection still is cheaper per mbps and there's no chance in hell they can shove 50mbps (let alone 20mbps) though copper with usable distance.
--
Bresnan 18M/1M
MyWS[E5200@3.75GHz,4GB RAM,2x1TB HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2GHz,2GB RAM,120GB HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1GHz,512MB RAM,18GB HDD,SMC 8432BTA,2xDigital DE504,Compaq NC3131,Intel Pro/1000MT,IBM Gigabit Ethernet-SX,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,Gentoo Linux]

fibreISking

@verizon.net
reply to dishrich

said by dishrich:

said by Chris 313:

What is this idiot smoking?

WOW, she's the Carly Fiorina of Telco's...

you're giving her too much credit... i'm thinking more along the lines of Darl McBride, former CEO of SCO which tried to sue anybody and everybody (including IBM, and, get this, their OWN customers) using linux, claiming that they owned the copyrights for it.

dynodb
Premium,VIP
join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
reply to Simba7

said by Simba7:

Even then.. Let's look at actual math here..

$40 for her 7mbps (if that) DSL connection = $5.14/mbps
$90 (or $140) for a 50/20mbps FiOS connection = $1.79 (or $2.80)/mbps
..or.. $65 for a 20/20mbps FiOS connection = $3.25/mbps

Still.. the FiOS connection still is cheaper per mbps and there's no chance in hell they can shove 50mbps (let alone 20mbps) though copper with usable distance.

Tell it to the 20M and 40M VDSL2 (over copper) connections I see every day.

Yes, faster connections are going to have a lower cost per Mbps- but that's irrelevant because you don't have the option of paying by Mbps. For those who don't require faster speeds or are looking for a cheaper alternative, the price per month is all they're concerned with.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to Chris 313

said by Chris 313:

What is this idiot smoking? If I had a FiOS 50 meg connection, why would I want to downgrade to something slower for the same or only slightly less savings?

Whatever she's smoking that makes this sound like a good idea, I want me some of that!

Exactly. When you consider that locally, Frontier charges $49 for barely 3meg dsl and Surewest (which I currently subscribe to) charges $65 for 25/25 synchronous Fiber connection (bundled), it is apparent somebody is smoking the ging on a regular basis. Frontier sucks A-- in so many ways.
--
The weekend is here, grab a can of beer!

sbcretired

join:2006-01-07
Scottville, MI
reply to dynodb

If you dont have a problem spending money go fast, but if you have a budget, a 1.5 dsl maybe all we can afford. I am sure that would be around $25 mo, maybe less.