how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MonkeyLick78

join:2002-01-27
Hixson, TN

Verizon

I didn't realize Verizon was so expensive and slow compared to other fiber providers. Their top speed is slow compared to a lot of the major cable ISP's too. If Comcast can manage 105/20 with a much larger footprint, there's no reason for Verizon to top out at 50/20. It shows poorly on fiber as a whole when the biggest provider for residential fiber service is getting beaten (by a pretty significant amount) by some cable providers.
Most of their tiers aren't even symmetrical.:\ There's no excuse for their top tier to be anything less than 100/100 in at least some major markets. If Comcast can manage their premium tier with their technically inferior cable network and far larger footprint then why not do the same? People are willing to pay a premium for superior speed.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:1

Re: Verizon

Traditional cable ISP bandwidth is shared and ratings are misleading. The customer rarely gets a sustained throughput equal to the advertised bandwidth. But FiOS typically does meet advertised bandwidth or very close with sustained throughput.

Bottom line. Comparing advertised bandwidth of "cable" and FiOS is apples and oranges.
--
Be a Good Netizen - Read, Know & Complain About Overly Restrictive Tyrannical ISP ToS & AUP »comcast.net/terms/ »verizon.net/policies/
Say Thanks with a Tool Points Donation

MonkeyLick78

Hixson, TN

People on the Premium tiers like Comcasts 105/20 aren't having trouble reaching those speeds.Verizon could easily do better and leave no question as to who's faster. 50/20 is pretty slow for fiber.
waiting4fios

join:2005-04-08
Howell, NJ

BTW, I'm willing to pit my 35/35 FiOS connection against Comcast's 105/20 and Cablevision's 101/15 in a 24 hour, 30 day contest on BOTH download and upload.

Obviously I will destroy both companies on the upload, but I'm willing to bet that over the long haul my 35mbps download (42mbps actual) will actually hold up better than the cableco's 100 meg offerings with more stable speeds, and heck I might even be able to outright win the download contest because I doubt Comcast or Cablevision can sustain 100mbps for even an entire day without it severely impacting their other customers.

If there are any takers let me know. BBR could sponsor the contest if they like. Just need a neutral party to setup the network for serving the files up and down for a constant stream for 24 hours, even for maybe just a week.

If you've ever seen the TV show Pink's All Out, you know that it isn't always the car with the most horsepower under the hood that wins the race.

MonkeyLick78

Hixson, TN

1 recommendation

said by waiting4fios:

BTW, I'm willing to pit my 35/35 FiOS connection against Comcast's 105/20 and Cablevision's 101/15 in a 24 hour, 30 day contest on BOTH download and upload.

Obviously I will destroy both companies on the upload, but I'm willing to bet that over the long haul my 35mbps download (42mbps actual) will actually hold up better than the cableco's 100 meg offerings with more stable speeds, and heck I might even be able to outright win the download contest because I doubt Comcast or Cablevision can sustain 100mbps for even an entire day without it severely impacting their other customers.

If there are any takers let me know. BBR could sponsor the contest if they like. Just need a neutral party to setup the network for serving the files up and down for a constant stream for 24 hours, even for maybe just a week.

If you've ever seen the TV show Pink's All Out, you know that it isn't always the car with the most horsepower under the hood that wins the race.

Any 105mb connection that averages lower than 42mbps is broken and needs a truck roll. That's a losing bet. Comcast does many things wrong, but they're also known to deliver advertised speeds.
waiting4fios

Howell, NJ

My point was that I doubt Comcast or Cablevision could sustain 100mbps service for an entire day to just one subscriber because their network isn't built that way. It is built for you to get on and get off. Whereas Verizon's bandwidth can be sustained.
waiting4fios

Howell, NJ
Verizon introduces 150/35 mbps tier on 11/21.
Can they go even faster? Yes, but they won't if there isn't much demand for it. You say people are willing to pay a premium for superior speed, then we'll see just how many. I doubt that its more than 1% of the market. When you're in business you can't cater to 1% of your business segment unless that 1% makes you extremely profitable. Will we all need 100mbps connections someday? Maybe. Probably.

BTW 200/100 is rumored to be introduced sometime in 2011. Supposedly it is ready and waiting for cable companies to respond to the 150/35 package, and then 200/100 is supposed to be the reply.

MonkeyLick78

Hixson, TN

They can offer premium tiers with little effort. If it didn't matter then they wouldn't have the new tier ready for 11/21 or the others ready for the future. They've waited so they could milk 50/20. They let cable companies advertise higher speeds for the sake of greed.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

said by MonkeyLick78:

They can offer premium tiers with little effort. If it didn't matter then they wouldn't have the new tier ready for 11/21 or the others ready for the future. They've waited so they could milk 50/20. They let cable companies advertise higher speeds for the sake of greed.

So which is it? Are they incompetent as you imply in your first post or are they manipulative and greedy as you imply in this post?
--
Fast. Cheap. Safe.
Pick two...

MonkeyLick78

Hixson, TN

Where did I call them incompetent? I called them greedy and lazy. Incompetent would imply that they don't know what they're doing but their greed shows they do know. Cable companies have had faster than 50mbps for ages. Verizon waited this long to beat them when they've had the capability do far better all along. Look at the new tier -150/35-..that's just enough ahead to say "Look, we're faster!" but nothing impressive as far as fiber is concerned. It's also a lopsided cable-like tier with far slower upload than download.
They've been charging a ridiculous $139.95 for only 50/20 so they can milk customers who are willing to pay for premium tiers.
$139.95 is a ripoff for those speed no matter who provides it.
bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
I'd kill for FiOS business here. I'm not even a mile from the CO.

But nope...all Verizon can offer me is a bundled T1s.....