spc
Search similar:

uniqs
waiting4fios
join:2005-04-08
Howell, NJ

waiting4fios

150/35 FiOS Internet available 11/21/10

Heard from a reliable source that 150/35 will be launching on 11/21/10.

$199.99 per month with 1 year contract, $5 discount for voice customers.

$214.99 per month for NO contract, $5 discount for voice customers.

Cannot be bundled with TV.
Free Installation on annual plan, $79.99 installation fee for month-month subscribers
$49.99 activation fee for all customers.
$150 prorated ETF for annual contract customers.

Verizon supplied GigE router.

Customer must have gigabit NIC card.

Available to all GPON COs and certain BPON offices. (I believe BPON offices that are GPON ready and can have splitter and ONT changed to GPON if necessary)
26646945 (banned)
join:2010-11-19

26646945 (banned)

Wonder if we can get our hands on that hardware.

kdwycha
join:2003-01-30
Ruskin, FL

kdwycha to waiting4fios

to waiting4fios
The upstream on that sucks. What advantage would anyone have using 150/35? I mean 35/35 would be just fine.

Now if it was 150/150 then we would be talking.

Rax
Premium Member
join:2003-11-13
Floral Park, NY

Rax

Premium Member

I agree with you on that and I already have 35/35 and I'm getting 43/41 so why get something so much more expensive for just more download. Maybe a 100/50 I would get but not that

JohnCC
join:2005-12-19
none

JohnCC to waiting4fios

to waiting4fios
Was a 2 year contract mentioned? Are these business prices (as I heard this was going to be offered mainly as a business thing) with static or dynamic IP or is this residential stuff?

I have to say, even if it's 150/35 for $199 with a static IP it just doesn't seem worth it. Expensive, and really excessive on the download end. If it was like $160 for like 100/50 with static for 2 years then that wouldn't be too bad.
Bytezboy
join:2001-05-17
New York, NY

1 edit

Bytezboy to waiting4fios

to waiting4fios
This is the best they could do? I expected much more from them. Other smaller fiber provides in the US are offering 50/50 and 100/50 for cheaper prices.

Vamp
5c077
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
MD

Vamp to kdwycha

Premium Member

to kdwycha
said by kdwycha:

The upstream on that sucks. What advantage would anyone have using 150/35? I mean 35/35 would be just fine.

Now if it was 150/150 then we would be talking.

They base their speeds on demand, statistics show more downstream is used on most networks.

For Usenet it would mean being able to download an 8GB HD video in 7 minutes compared to 25 minutes with 35/35 (based on 43mbit actual speed)... Assuming the Usenet server can handle it.

Another advantage of 150mbit vs 43mbit is it's very unlikely to be consumed by any one computer on a network without QOS, eliminating any latency issues for another machine that may want to play an online FPS.

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi to waiting4fios

to waiting4fios
I hope that they will be offering a package with a better upload otherwise I won't be signing up for it. I would pay $200 if it was 150/75 although 150/150 would be really nice.

Right now I pay $200/month for 70/70 and tv/phone. Not worth it to get double the downstream and half the upload for the same price I am paying now minus the phone/TV.

Zero5
join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

Zero5 to waiting4fios

to waiting4fios
»was rep for real? 100/35 and 200/100

This isn't the first we've heard of this possible upcoming tier as the topic above indicates.

Personally, I won't be signing up for any of these unless they come bundled in a triple/quad play at greatly discounted price in that triple play (35/35 for example).

So 150/35 and possibly a 200/100 tier will have such a small amount of residential customers that actually sign up to it. It'll definitely be more useful for businesses if anything. I mean how many residential customers signed up for standalone 50/20 @ $140/mo? The majority that signed up for 50/20 were probably in areas where its only $90/mo but even still.

houkouonchi
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi

said by Zero5:

»was rep for real? 100/35 and 200/100

This isn't the first we've heard of this possible upcoming tier as the topic above indicates.

Indeed but this is the first time I have seen a specific date. I am curious. The poster seems confident and I am really disappointed with the 35 meg upload I guess we will see come the 21st.

ARKx
join:2005-02-13
Philadelphia, PA

ARKx

I agree, houkouonchi, the GPON CO infrastructure can easily handle up to a symmetric 1Gbps connection, so there's no reason why VZ can't push out a symmetric 150Mbps connection, just downgrade on BPON infrastructure 50-75Mbps upload. For the bandwidth otherwise the price is dirt cheap when compared to a T4 = 274Mbps line, or an OC-3 line, which is 155Mbps of symmetric bandwidth but in full-duplex.

If you don't see the need for the bandwidth don't post, you have no business being here, since this thread doesn't affect you.

Alan.

Agent Smith2
join:2008-07-07
New York

Agent Smith2 to waiting4fios

to waiting4fios
The reason it has such low upload maybe cause they want to see how many will buy the package and see how it will affect other users or congestion then they might increase the upload.

JohnCC
none

JohnCC

Could be true, and I could see them configuring a 'fluff' of 50Mbps or higher on it but until then it's just speculation until someone gets it. And if I have to be locked into say, a 2 year contract for the price it's just so much extra money to toss at a probability of them being taken away.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

2 edits

More Fiber

MVM

said by JohnCC:

I could see them configuring a 'fluff' of 50Mbps or higher on it

Why would VZ add any fluff on a 150/35 plan?

5Mbps was added to the current bundles which include FIOS-TV, reportedly to help support a second HD VOD stream. Internet only and 50/20 (which also can't be bundled) subs have never seen fluff.

Keep in mind that a GPON fiber is 2488/622 2.4/1.2 Gbps shared by 32 users. That's an average of 80/20 80/40 per user. VZ appears to be trying not to oversubscribe the upload on the fiber.

As you say though, until somebody actually gets it and reports on it, it's all speculation.

edit:
Corrected speeds per nycdave See Profile's post.
The FAQ has also been corrected. Thanks Dave.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

GPON is 2.4/1.2 Gbps....

MonkeyLick78
join:2002-01-27
Hixson, TN

MonkeyLick78 to ARKx

to ARKx
said by ARKx:

I agree, houkouonchi, the GPON CO infrastructure can easily handle up to a symmetric 1Gbps connection, so there's no reason why VZ can't push out a symmetric 150Mbps connection, just downgrade on BPON infrastructure 50-75Mbps upload. For the bandwidth otherwise the price is dirt cheap when compared to a T4 = 274Mbps line, or an OC-3 line, which is 155Mbps of symmetric bandwidth but in full-duplex.

If you don't see the need for the bandwidth don't post, you have no business being here, since this thread doesn't affect you.

Alan.

People have every right to post their opinions about the new tier. If you don't like it then don't read it. The very purpose of the thread is to get peoples opinions.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to More Fiber

to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

Internet only and 50/20 (which also can't be bundled) subs have never seen fluff.

Umm... I beg to differ. I am, and have always been, internet-only and have as much fluff as the others.

jarablue
Always be true to yourself
join:2001-06-11
Worcester, MA

jarablue to waiting4fios

to waiting4fios
How can verizon not offer their tiers in all markets? Maybe I am misunderstanding...fiber is fiber right? Why would one area qualify for the new tier and another area not? I would think all their areas are up to snuff infrastructure wise...no?

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by jarablue:

How can verizon not offer their tiers in all markets?

It's not a matter of markets. It's a matter of technology.

The early FIOS COs were BPON. Later on, VZ moved to GPON. COs can be one of:
•BPON only. Capacity was never expanded past the initial BPON build. If you're in a BPON only CO, you won't be able to get 150/35.
•A mix of BPON and GPON in the same CO. If you're on a BPON fiber, VZ should be able to move you to a GPON fiber.
•GPON only CO. No problem.

jarablue
Worcester, MA

jarablue to waiting4fios

to waiting4fios
How can I find out what I am on?

I have the 35/35 tier now....

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by jarablue:

How can I find out what I am on?

What model ONT do you have?

jarablue
Worcester, MA

jarablue to waiting4fios

to waiting4fios
I am not home...at work right now. I know my install was moca and the ont has ethernet jacks too. I can get the model # when I get home.

JohnCC
none

JohnCC to More Fiber

to More Fiber
Well with that math then, perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe they won't conduct a test at all if those are their intentions.

I didn't realize that at the 32 user level, around 38Mbps is the max you can offer everyone so they're definitely trying to not oversell it.

That's kind of nice to know. The current setup seems like everyone max out all at the same time and there'd be no slowdown. Impressive. I'd still love to see them try to add more upload on the max tier since we all know not every one of those 32 users will be maxing out their connection 24/7.
jimboe
join:2000-08-14
New York

jimboe to rebus9

to rebus9
said by rebus9:

said by More Fiber:

Internet only and 50/20 (which also can't be bundled) subs have never seen fluff.

Umm... I beg to differ. I am, and have always been, internet-only and have as much fluff as the others.

50/20 here in nyc as well (plus TV and phone, not bundled of course..)

What "fluff" do you see?

The 50/20 subs have been the only inet tier customers that have gotten shafted by VZ over the last year- being completely ignored and not given *any* bump in speed, the way all the other lower tiers have been given..

..nor has there ever been any reports of fluff that I've seen.

I score 49/21 all the time.
knordrw
join:2007-09-07
Bethel Park, PA
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB3000N

knordrw to waiting4fios

to waiting4fios
Click for full size
Since it's past midnight here, I figured I'd see if it was on the website yet. It is, but there's a little confusion....see the screenshot I took (red boxes are my addition)

CGMason14
Nj Roaddog
Mountainside, NJ

CGMason14

I'm seeing the same on the site here. 150/65 is likely a typo, looks like I can get it locally too. Keep in mind my CO was wired in late 2006 (service became available Jan 2007), so I'm kinda surprised its GPON.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9

Surprisingly, I'm not seeing any new speeds available for the Tampa regional market yet. This was one of the first FIOS markets in the country, and we're usually among the first to get all the shiny new plans.

Feeling a bit left out....

RoKmAn0
join:2000-09-09
East Elmhurst, NY

RoKmAn0

no love here either
lijacobs
join:2010-07-30
Woodmere, NY

lijacobs to More Fiber

to More Fiber
"Keep in mind that a GPON fiber is 2.4/1.2 Gbps shared by 32 users. That's an average of 80/40 per user. VZ appears to be trying not to oversubscribe the upload on the fiber."

When we try to estimate load on a facility we should also remember a few caviats:

1) its doubtful that all 32 fibers will be equipped.
2) its very doubtful that all of the computers attached to the
equipped fibers will be in use at any given time.
3) most of the computers that are in use will not be uploading
torrents or streaming video and, in fact, will be using very
little bandwith.
4) so even if every user had 200/200 available to them, most users
would only be using a small portion of the available bandwith
at any given time.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by lijacobs:

"Keep in mind that a GPON fiber is 2.4/1.2 Gbps shared by 32 users. That's an average of 80/40 per user. VZ appears to be trying not to oversubscribe the upload on the fiber."

When we try to estimate load on a facility we should also remember a few caviats:

1) its doubtful that all 32 fibers will be equipped.
2) its very doubtful that all of the computers attached to the
equipped fibers will be in use at any given time.
3) most of the computers that are in use will not be uploading
torrents or streaming video and, in fact, will be using very
little bandwith.
4) so even if every user had 200/200 available to them, most users
would only be using a small portion of the available bandwith
at any given time.

That sounds like the thought process of the regular cable companies. It really depends on your area how much equipment is in us . Plus a PC is not the only thing that uses bandwidth. I have seventy devices at home that need an internet connection. Basically just about everything you buy now is connected online. A coworker got a new refrigerator, washer and dryer recently. Even all of those are connected online. Granted they are upper end, but eventually those features will work their way down to lower cost models.