uniqs

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

Cooking A turkey in an electric oven

This Year will be the first year cooking it in a electric oven.
Will there be any cooking time and temperature difference?

20 pounder by the way

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

said by Anonymous_:

20 pounder by the way

Difference compared to what? Follow the package instructions.

Just stick one of those pop-up thermometers in it and when it pops up, it's done.

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC

Jahntassa to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
Unless it's a convection oven, electric and gas fired ovens are largely the same in terms of temperature and time.

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium Member
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX

Locutus65 to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
The only thing I would do different (and this doesn't matter how you cook it) is leave the pop up timer in but ignore it. Get yourself a good meat thermometer to check with.

Turkey Size 8 - 12 lb. 12 - 14 lb. 14 - 18 lb. 18 - 20 lb.

baking time
(at 325°F) 2¾ - 3 hours 3 - 3¾ hours 3¾ - 4¼ hours 4¼ - 4½ hours

ROAST at 325°F for indicated time (see chart above) - basting is unnecessary. When the skin turns brown, about two thirds of the way through roasting, shield the breast loosely with a sheet of foil to prevent overbrowning.

CHECK for doneness. The internal temperature of thighs should be 180°F on a meat thermometer. The thigh and drumstick meat should feel soft when pressed, and when the thigh is pierced with a fork the juices should run clear, not pink.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
Good Eats Roast Turkey
by Alton Brown

»www.foodnetwork.com/reci ··· dex.html

craig70130
Premium Member
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

1 recommendation

craig70130 to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
Definitely ignore the pop-up thing. When it pops, your bird is overcooked 99% of the time.

Forget time - get a meat thermometer. 160-165 in the breast, 170-175 for the thigh. Let sit 30 minutes before carving so the juices can redistribute.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

Anonymous_ to Gbcue

Premium Member

to Gbcue
said by Gbcue:

said by Anonymous_:

20 pounder by the way

Difference compared to what? Follow the package instructions.

Just stick one of those pop-up thermometers in it and when it pops up, it's done.

I was just wondering as the stove top does not cook the same as Nat-Gas.. I am all ready used to the difference in cooking time or the stove top
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

The oven is different the the cook top. The oven reaches a temp and that temp is the same regardless of the fuel. The oven may heat up quicker or slower but cooking over the period of hours, this does not matter.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to newview

Premium Member

to newview
said by newview:

Good Eats Roast Turkey
by Alton Brown

Right there! That recipe makes the best turkey I've ever eaten!

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
No difference!
mikkopel
join:2002-10-25
Haverstraw, NY

mikkopel to HarryH3

to HarryH3
said by HarryH3:

said by newview:

Good Eats Roast Turkey
by Alton Brown

Thirded. I had never cooked a whole turkey before, and this was the first recipe I tried. Came out really good, not dry at all. Meat thermometer is a must.

As far as electric oven goes - with some foods it makes a difference compared to gas oven, but not in this case.

Bruschi
Premium Member
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

Bruschi to newview

Premium Member

to newview
Best turkey by a long shot! better than fried:)
ecom
join:2009-10-15
San Francisco, CA

ecom to craig70130

to craig70130
said by craig70130:

Definitely ignore the pop-up thing. When it pops, your bird is overcooked 99% of the time.

Forget time - get a meat thermometer. 160-165 in the breast, 170-175 for the thigh. Let sit 30 minutes before carving so the juices can redistribute.

Thermoworks makes some decent thermometers. They can be found on Amazon though they're a bit more spendy ($20-25) compared to some of other ones on Amazon. Apparently, Thermoworks' Thermapen is like the gold standard of instant read thermometers, but they're close to $100.

They also make some thermometers where you leave the probe in the meat and have a screen (with alarm) that sit outside the oven.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to HarryH3

Premium Member

to HarryH3
said by HarryH3:

said by newview:

Good Eats Roast Turkey
by Alton Brown

Then obviously you have never had a deep fried turkey.

Best moistest/tenderest (ALL meat) and NOT greasy other than skin... turkey ever had. So hot seals the skin... and so seals in the water/moisture as well.

However a potentially very dangerous method if you don't study up first and know what you are doing. As the Mythbusters say don't try this at home especially with no clue at all.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

said by Hayward0:

said by HarryH3:

said by newview:

Good Eats Roast Turkey
by Alton Brown

Then obviously you have never had a deep fried turkey.

Best moistest/tenderest (ALL meat) and NOT greasy other than skin... turkey ever had. So hot seals the skin... and so seals in the water/moisture as well.

However a potentially very dangerous method if you don't study up first and know what you are doing. As the Mythbusters say don't try this at home especially with no clue at all.

As usual, you're making incorrect assumptions. I've had both, prefer Alton's recipe.

mareastrum
join:2006-09-10
Saint Louis, MO

mareastrum to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
No difference, IMO. Just set the oven to the proper time, prep the turkey and go. I've been cooking with electric for about 5 years; hell, we just bought a new electric range because the old one finally died on us.

If you're unsure, keep a meat thermometer handy and check it when you baste the turkey. I don't like the pop up timers because I've had the experience of the turkey not being done all the way through.
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth to craig70130

Premium Member

to craig70130
said by craig70130:

+1

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to craig70130

Premium Member

to craig70130

Taylor 1470N Stainless Steel w/ 5' Probe
said by craig70130:

Definitely forget that pop-up piece of garbage. If you don't want to take the turkey out of the oven each time to check temperature, get a digital remote thermometer with a long probe.

craig70130
Premium Member
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

craig70130

Premium Member

I have that Taylor thermometer and use it all the time. NOTHING gets overcooked anymore. I think I paid about $20 for it. Set the desired temp and it beeps when hit. I also have the Thermalpen but that is spendy and you have to keep checking.

Professional chefs pretty much uniformly prefer gas for the stovetop but electric for ovens. Just ask anyone who bakes alot. The problem with gas ovens is most don't kick the flame up until there is > 30 degree drop in the desired temperature and then the temp often goes > 30 degrees above set temp before it shuts off. That roller coaster ride can wreck havoc when baking but I don't think matters that much over time when cooking other things. Electric ovens do a better job of maintaining temp.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

I agree that electric ovens maintain a more even heat, but I only have room for one oven, and gas was a better choice for me considering most of my cooking is stove top.

That's exactly why began using this digital thermometer for all the meats I cook in the oven. I heard somewhere that you lose 50° very time you open the oven door, even for a short time. I noticed that each time I opened my gas oven to check temps, a short time later the burner came on to heat back to temperature. This caused an exterior dryness on most meats. This digital thermometer with a remote probe eliminated that opening to check for doneness cycle.

Once the meat is in the oven, the door doesn't get opened again until it's done.
mikkopel
join:2002-10-25
Haverstraw, NY

mikkopel

said by newview:

I agree that electric ovens maintain a more even heat, but I only have room for one oven, and gas was a better choice for me considering most of my cooking is stove top.

They have dual fuel ranges - electric for oven, gas for cooktop. Actually, I just got one earlier this year, and couldn't be happier. It's the best of both worlds.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to HarryH3

Premium Member

to HarryH3
said by HarryH3:

As usual, you're making incorrect assumptions. I've had both, prefer Alton's recipe.

And as usual you are being dictatorial... no one else's opinion counts for anything....and no discussion.

So OK maybe WHY do you think its better?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

Anonymous_ to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
said by tcope:

The oven is different the the cook top. The oven reaches a temp and that temp is the same regardless of the fuel. The oven may heat up quicker or slower but cooking over the period of hours, this does not matter.

worng

I AM Sorry but the damn thing does not cook the same as GAS OR Propane

FUEL Source DOES indeed matter!
Now I have RAW/burnt pumpkin pie.

who's the douche bag that invented the electric stove anyways.?
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

I guess 350 degrees is different in different ovens. I don't know what to tell you.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

Anonymous_

Premium Member

Click for full size
might as well stick the damn thing in the microwave I am sure it will fit inside that 1.4CF microwave
Anonymous_

1 edit

Anonymous_

Premium Member

Click for full size
Turkey Came out perfect.
1 hour faster then anticipated.

Nice golden brown like you see in the commercials

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
said by tcope:

I guess 350 degrees is different in different ovens. I don't know what to tell you.

Actually 350° is 350° the problem is the controls circuits in some ovens don't control accurately. Take a thermometer and verify the actual temperature.

CovMac
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Covington, LA

CovMac

Premium Member

said by Msradell:

said by tcope:

Actually 350° is 350° the problem is the controls circuits in some ovens don't control accurately. Take a thermometer and verify the actual temperature.

+1 and test your fridge too.
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope to Msradell

Premium Member

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

Yes, a function of the oven hardware... not the fuel as the OP asks about.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
1-800-BUTTERBALL

(Yes, they still answer questions over the phone...)