how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

zalternate

join:2007-02-22
freedom land

monthly FAP

That monthly FAP is what kills people. If you don't monitor your usage, you can drop into the pit of oblivion.

It would be really nice if WildBlue were to put a direct link to their 'Fair access Policy' on the main page in one of those big buttons, instead of having to click down to it.
»www.wildblue.com/legal/fair.jsp
And why it's in a PDF format? Heck knows. Maybe that keeps the dialup people away from it. Especially if you do not have a PDF reader installed.

Heres a better link to a webpage version......
»www.wildblue.com/fap/

quote:
Fair Access Policy information
Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Fair Access Policy? What is WildBlue's Fair Access Policy?

WildBlue maintains a Fair Access Policy to ensure that all WildBlue customers get a fair amount of access to the Internet over our network. The purpose of this policy is to provide equitable delivery of upload and download speeds to all WildBlue customers by curtailing the speeds of those who have exceeded the usage thresholds.

WildBlue's Fair Access Policy (FAP) limits the amount of data that you can upload and/or download using the WildBlue service in a rolling 30-day period. After exceeding either of the FAP limits ("usage thresholds"), which vary by service package, the speed of your service will be slowed to 128 kbps download and 28 kbps upload. Your speeds will be restored when your data usage in the prior 30 days falls below 70% for both usage thresholds.

Please note that FAP removal can take up to 24 hours after falling below both of the 70% Usage Thresholds. FAP removal will occur automatically but not instantaneously with the 24 hour time frame.

See WildBlue's Fair Access Policy (PDF).

How do I keep track of how much bandwidth I'm using?

We encourage you to monitor your usage. Contact your WildBlue Internet Service Provider (the company from which you receive your monthly WildBlue bill) for instructions on how to check your usage totals.

Receive your bill directly from WildBlue? Get instructions on reviewing your monthly bandwidth usage.

What are my Fair Access Policy usage thresholds?

It depends on the service plan you have:
PACKAGES BASIC MEDIUM BEST
Download Threshold 7,500 MB download 12,000 MB download 17,000 MB download
Upload Threshold 2,300 MB upload 3,000 MB upload 5,000 MB upload

Note: Usage is measured on a rolling 30-day period.

How can I get higher usage thresholds?

If you currently have a basic or medium WildBlue service package, you might consider upgrading to a higher package which provides more bandwidth (and faster speeds). Contact your WildBlue Internet Service Provider (the company from which you receive your monthly WildBlue bill) for more details.

What activities may cause me to exceed a usage threshold?

Some activities are more likely to exceed the upload and/or download usage thresholds and cause speeds to be slowed under the Fair Access Policy. Several examples are listed below:

1. Full-length movie downloads
2. Unsecured wireless router
3. Heavy use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs
4. Continuous downloading or viewing streaming media content such as; online video and radio
5. Extended use of web cameras
6. Extensive downloading of large applications or files
7. Extensive uploading of home movies, photos, and/or large email attachments
8. Extensive use of online backup services such as Carbonite, Mozy, SOS and HP Upline.

If you use your WildBlue connection for these activites, you should monitor your usage to make sure you don't exceed your thresholds.

For discussion about these situations, please visit our online forum at WildBlue World.

Give me some examples. How much can I do before I exceed a usage threshold?

You can do tons of stuff with your WildBlue service without exceeding a usage threshold. Here are some real examples (PDF).

How does the rolling 30 days work?

Your daily upload and download data usage is measured to determine if your total usage has exceeded either of your usage thresholds over the previous 30 days for the service plan that you have selected.

A rolling 30 days is defined as "the past 30 days" from the current date.

For example, if today were July 25, 2008, your usage would be measured from July 25, 2008 back to June 26, 2008. If you check your usage again on the next day, July 26th, your 30-day window would be from July 26 back to June 27.

Note: The rolling 30 days is independent of the number of days in the month.

--
Consumer Rights is more than just a suggestion.

micwa

join:2009-01-13
Seminary, MS

It only kills people that do not read important documents before signing 2 year contracts. It's not like it's a hidden treasure on wildblue.com.

« Installation Problem