how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LMDSL

join:2010-11-20
Los Molinos, CA

[Speed Problem] Bandwidth oversold

I have noticed a marked decline in my DSL service over the last year, even more so the last few months. I have the 6mbps service. It is advertised to be 3.1mbps up to 6mbps I spent the last two weeks with tech support, phone and on site. My speed started to decline just in the evenings and then later all the time. I ran speed tests and was lucky to get 2mbps anytime.
The tech that came out did all the line tests inside and outside. Everything showed fine. He had it ripped and rebuilt numerous times, changed dslam ports and had a circuit change. He even ran a speed test at the dslam port eliminating me and the phone lines and could not get above 2mbps.
I know he spent a lot of time after that working with the higher ups on the network, since then I have had some improvement.
I still have speeds well below advertised during peak times.
It is my belief that ATT has oversold the bandwidth and is unable to fulfill there minimum requirements. I hope this is temporary and will be resolved.
I am now making records of my speed tests and will be seeking compensation if improvements do not occur.
I know ATT professionals monitor these forums. If you have any information on this problem or know of improvements please let me know.

My location is: Los Molinos, Tehama County Northern California

Latest test and tech specs:

ATM port status : Up
Rx data rate (bps) : 6016
Tx data rate (bps) : 768

ATM Virtual Circuits:

VCC # Type VPI VCI Encapsulation
----- ---- --- ----- --------------------------
1 PVC 0 35 PPP over Ethernet (LLC/SNAP encapsulation)

ATM Circuit Statistics: VCC-1

Rx Frames : 10441647 Tx Frames : 6495609
Rx Octets : 3680613503 Tx Octets : 1272478371
Rx Errors : 0 Tx Errors : 0
Rx Discards : 0 Tx Discards : 288

ADSL Line State: Up
ADSL Startup Attempts: 6
ADSL Modulation: DMT
ADSL Data Path: Interleave
Datapump Version: DSP 7.5.2.202, HAL 7.5.2.1

Downstream Upstream
---------- ----------
SNR Margin: 17.00 14.00 dB
Line Attenuation: 16.50 6.50 dB
Output Power: 0.00 12.25 dBm
Errored Seconds: 0 0
Loss of Signal: 0 0
Loss of Frame: 0 0
CRC Errors: 0 2
Data Rate: 6016 768

Motorola Netopia directly connected

fkj342

@sbcglobal.net
Welcome to the club, they have been doing this for some time now, just recently they dropped my speeds even more. I really do hope they get his with a class action lawsuit

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by fkj342 :

Welcome to the club, they have been doing this for some time now, just recently they dropped my speeds even more. I really do hope they get his with a class action lawsuit

Already been done, and AT&T lost.

A fair amount of this kind of problem has been fixable using a "Rip-and-rebuild"; but the typical symptom is a lower tier throughput (often 1300kb/s for Elite). At 1800 kb/s, the problem is likely not fixable with a "Rip-and-rebuild".

What is uncertain is how much of this is problems with shared bandwidth on the premises. I downloaded a few online games published by Aeria Games. Most are in excess of 1 GB; some just under. They require the downloader to install their version of a BT client; one which is not configurable, as is the typical BT client. Unfortunately, the AG BT client would saturate my upload, and that would kill my throughput.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to LMDSL
"Oversold bandwidth" is a myth. Well, sort of. All bandwidth is "oversold". All ISPs "oversell" bandwidth.

Sometimes there is an issue known as an "exhausted router". Can't be fixed by "Rip-and-rebuild", or by changing the DSLAM port. The only fix is to change which aggregation router you run to. Such could affect any speed plan. I ran into this on Express, where I was only getting roughly 800 kb/s down in "prime time", despited synching at 1536/384. They changed me from a router in the Santa Clara, California POP center ('sntcca') to a router in the Pleasanton, California POP center ('pltnca'). I posted to SBC Direct (as it was known at the time; now you would post to AT&T Direct).

There can be other factors. An unsecured Wi-fi network allowing parasites to leech bandwidth. I once jumped on an unsecure network to check it out. Some Comcast subscriber who may well have been wondering why he was not getting the speed he was paying for. Multiple users on the premises. I learned that I needed to tweak my BitTorrent client if I didn't wasn't to adversely affect the total household bandwidth where I live.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

network

@nemr.net
They have a card or something else going bad somewhere or they have high network utilization. Good luck with that. Best bet is talk to anyone in your area that has same issue and everyone call like mad.

Ldgatlin
Premium
join:2010-12-05
Canadian, TX
reply to LMDSL
Same exact problem in Canadian TX. I own an IT consulting company, clients started complaining about internet speeds a few month back, all with one common denominator, all on AT&T DSL. I have made call after call to AT&T support with no joy. No one will ever acknowledge that there is an issue. Currently compiling a list of all accounts with the speed problems (have 38 so far) to give to the second level support. I am not optimistic but have to try, there just isn’t a better alternative for small business in this area.