spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pulp46
Premium
join:2003-01-28

PS3 and Xbox - Can they play Black Ops together in LAN?

Dumb Dad here. One boy has a PS3 and the other will have an Xbox. Can they play games in LAN with each other? Also, can they both join online servers together or are consoles matched to games?

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada
kudos:1

they can't play together with two different manufacturer consoles.

pulp46
Premium

Thanks BonezX! I've just read something else, it actually COSTS money to play online with others with the Xbox? Is that so? They've been playing PS3 for several years for free, on the PSN. I find this Xboy pay for Live thingy hard to believe. Is M$ really that stupid? I won't be getting them one if so...

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

said by pulp46:

Thanks BonezX! I've just read something else, it actually COSTS money to play online with others with the Xbox? Is that so? They've been playing PS3 for several years for free, on the PSN. I find this Xboy pay for Live thingy hard to believe. Is M$ really that stupid? I won't be getting them one if so...

I guess not so stupid if they get millions of people to pay. Also you have to pay to use Netflix on the 360. That's in addition to your netflix fee.

pulp46
Premium

said by 88615298:

said by pulp46:

I guess not so stupid if they get millions of people to pay. Also you have to pay to use Netflix on the 360. That's in addition to your netflix fee.

Holy crap!?! Why the hell are people bothering with the Xbox then? And it doesn't even have a BluRay drive eh? Wow, bye bye Xmas gift. A fool and his money are soon parted etc... O_o

Thanks BF69!

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada

2 edits
reply to 88615298

it's $60 USD a year for a unified online system(the easy translation is lots of cross game stuff, and some exclusives), and it follows the rule of, you get what you pay for.(you pay a crap-tonne more that that for WOW, and that's only one game).

and even on the PS3 if your not a netflix member, you don't get to use their service, so that's a null point.

not to mention, that Sony is playing catchup to the live service in terms of features, i can foresee them charging for the service eventually(they already have a pay service with PSN+), or just keep throwing the cost on the developers which would move software away from the system.

TSI James
TSI James
Premium
join:2008-02-22
reply to pulp46

said by pulp46:

said by 88615298:

said by pulp46:

Holy crap!?! Why the hell are people bothering with the Xbox then? And it doesn't even have a BluRay drive eh? Wow, bye bye Xmas gift. A fool and his money are soon parted etc... O_o

Thanks BF69!

...another person to the dark side.
--
TSI James - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to pulp46

Or you could have both like I do. Best of both worlds!

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
join:2002-03-30
Reading, PA
reply to pulp46

Here's a question..why DOES ms NOT...provide a free version of Live to 360 owners? I mean at least give the fans a CHOICE on how they'd like to connect and what they want.
--
Photoshop these nuts in your mouth.

pp03

join:2002-06-13

said by onebadmofo:

Here's a question..why DOES ms NOT...provide a free version of Live to 360 owners? I mean at least give the fans a CHOICE on how they'd like to connect and what they want.

They do, xbox live is free. It's called silver.

You can chat with your buddies and tell them how enjoyable your single player experience is.

I don't mind a couple bucks a month for the quick message deletes, great party and voice chat options.

I have a PS3 and a 360, I've had each for about two years now. If there are dual releases, I buy it for 360. In fact...I haven't used my PS3 for gaming since GoW 3 came out.

I do use the PS3 for Netflix though, only because the power-off timer can be set to 2 hours instead of 6 hours like on the xbox.

Every couple months MS enables silver to play online for a weekend to try it out. That's how I first tried live, and it sold me on the small fee per month.
--
"He should not have use his own cc. Crime does pay, you just got to be more smart about it."-silentlooker

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA

That's sounds EXACTLY like something MS would do.
Why not just give free access to to play online. And if you want all the other bullshit that people think they need, then you have to pay.
I'm willing to bet more people would opt out of paying for online to JUST be able to play online for free.
--

pp03

join:2002-06-13

said by onebadmofo:

That's sounds EXACTLY like something MS would do.
Why not just give free access to to play online. And if you want all the other bullshit that people think they need, then you have to pay.
I'm willing to bet more people would opt out of paying for online to JUST be able to play online for free.

Because they are a company, and companies have to turn profits?

Just because you 'feel' something should be someway, doesn't mean it should. I'm sure Microsoft has a logistics team that studied up and down what the company could offer and for what price; I'm sure they decided advertising revenue wasn't enough. You can only do so much with the goodness of your heart, people have families to feed and retirement funds to grow.

Look, if you don't like it, there is PS3.

Argue all you want, but facts are facts. People know they have to pay for live and yet the online community for Xbox is much larger than the PS3's community.

Microsoft is doing it right.

Plus, I'm sure this isn't their thinking, it's my opinion...but I think if someone is too cheap to pay under 10 a month for unlimited entertainment...they probably aren't worth a worry anyways.
--
"He should not have use his own cc. Crime does pay, you just got to be more smart about it."-silentlooker

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA

Well no shit it's business. And no shit it's how MOST companies make profit. I'm just saying, a little customer appreciation goes a LONG way.

And yep...there is PS3. And free online play is just ONE of the reasons I chose it over the 360 back in 07.

And here's something to think of.... The Live community may not have grown to what it is today had the 360 not come out a year or so before the PS3. Cause most of those who bought 360's HAD PS2's. They just couldn't wait for the PS3 to come out when the "Next Gen" was staring them in the faces. I can't blame I too was tempted. But I decided to hold off.

Maybe your way of thinking about someone being cheap by choosing NOT to pay 10 bucks a month, is you thinking that EVERYONE has spare money to pay for "meh" entertainment that can be found else where for no charge other than what they're already paying for in internet charges.
Ya ever think it's just the opposite, maybe people who choose NOT to pay the 50 bucks a year are people who know they can spend their money on something much more rewarding. And it's those people that aren't worth a worry that will go with a PS3, or whatever else. You get enough of those people and all of the sudden, you have something to worry about.

Think about it... If they offered a free version that was in direct competition with, well, the competition... would you go for it? Maybe you wouldn't but it would be interesting to know how many would.
--

Sith HMP
I Did What?
Premium
join:2004-04-25
Bloomington, IL

XBOX Live is only $5.00 a month...just saying.

You are right though IMO. If MS offered free online play and you only paid for the other "services" they offer I would dump XBOX Live Gold in a heartbeat and opt for the free online service only.

I'm sure there are many people who would opt for the other services like Netflix and Twitter access etc. I am just not one of those people as I don't use any other aspect of XBOX Live Gold except for the online play. I only use it every so often at that.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA

Oh is it 5? Ok yeah, I didn't know.

But see, you're one of how many that actually SAY they would drop it and opt for the free version? Who knows, that alone could sway people decision to get a 360 over a PS3 when shopping for a system. Well, if free online play was the only deciding factor in their minds.
--

pulp46
Premium

said by onebadmofo:

Who knows, that alone could sway people decision to get a 360 over a PS3 when shopping for a system.

I just got lucky noticing a post about Xbox Live and monetary value. I had NO idea and was blown away as I researched compatability with PS3 gaming. M$ keeps that real quiet and I bet not too few parents got pissed off when little Johnny tells them they need regular payments to play online AFTER the Xbox is all set up! LOL Not gonna be my problem, the boys stay on the PS3.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Microsoft keeps it quiet? Hardly. $5 is 2 cups of coffee.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA

Some people have "priorities".
But in my eyes, to buy coffee everyday when you can drink from a water fountain or water cooler, is a waste of money too.
--

TeatherWind

join:2001-08-21
Euless, TX

As an adult I like the family features that the xbox offers me. I like to know that I can limit what people my son will run in to online, and the people that he can hear. I also like the online tracking that they offer in the family options.

If you like the free ps3 online games, then go enjoy! If you don't mind paying a couple of bucks for xbox live then go enjoy!

Funny how a question about if the two systems can interact became a fanboy flamewar!

Dejavu
Game Misconduct
Premium,Mod
join:2002-09-11
Ishpeming, MI
kudos:3

Another innocent question turns into a which system is better battle.

Another factor to consider is who you want to play online with.... I have both systems and a gold live account but I do all my online gaming on the PS3 cause thats where my friends are at. If they all were on the 360 I'd be over there.
--
You the only one on? | Does anyone know if this socom headset is stereo? | Gimme that $20! | I'm glad we are having suck a great turnout. | carlson why you go swim in lake michigan|news to me and we have no newsletter. Famous "D1" quotes

DemonicLlama
Premium
join:2007-11-19
Potomac, MD
reply to ptrowski

Retail coffee maybe. I get the K-cups and it comes to $0.42 per cup for me. But then I buy the 80 pack and bulk coffee...Anyway back to my coffee.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Same here on the k-cups.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
reply to pulp46

May as well take this way OT so..."k-cups"?
--

TeatherWind

join:2001-08-21
Euless, TX

Are they better then the other ones? I never tried the K-cups, just the sensao thing..

sapo
Cruising Down Memory Lane
Premium
join:2002-09-16
Sacramento, CA
reply to pulp46

I feel like I'm in a just stepped into a time machine. Still talking about this? Really?
--
Don't think too much, you might hurt yourself.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA

said by sapo:

I feel like I'm in a just stepped into a time machine. Still talking about this? Really?

....yeah Zelda is awesome to the max, and Super Mario Bros. is super rad. But I think the SEGA Master System is better than the Nintendo Entertainment System.

Oh hi. Welcome to 1986.
--

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Can those systems do 640x480? Do you have 640K of ram? Do you have Wolf3d? I didn't think so, real gamers play on a 486 PC.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA

No body cares about your bogus simulators, or nerdy D&D games. you can take your green screen monitors and cream colored keyboards and shove'em. I'll take my cool gray or black gaming controls over those heavy clunky things any day! And besides, every one knows computers are NEVER gonna take off anyway. They'll die out in 5 years like pong did a couple of years ago. There is absolutely NO hope for your pitifully overpriced Personal Computers.
--

Dejavu
Game Misconduct
Premium,Mod
join:2002-09-11
Ishpeming, MI
kudos:3

I never really thought about it until just now but I had a NES and Master system when I was a kid too. I guess I liked getting the exclusives then too... I think I specifically got the Master system for the great RPG's such as Phantasy Star and Miracle Warriors.
--
You the only one on? | Does anyone know if this socom headset is stereo? | Gimme that $20! | I'm glad we are having suck a great turnout. | carlson why you go swim in lake michigan|news to me and we have no newsletter. Famous "D1" quotes

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA

said by Dejavu:

I never really thought about it until just now but I had a NES and Master system when I was a kid too. I guess I liked getting the exclusives then too... I think I specifically got the Master system for the great RPG's such as Phantasy Star and Miracle Warriors.

That Phantasy Star series was the shit.
--