Search similar:

uniqs
RichardParry
join:2002-07-18
GB

RichardParry

Cisco UC500 Config Issue

Hi All,

I have just purchased a Cisco UC500 system second hand and needed to clear the config. It was working fine when tested, however I needed to clear the config and didn't know any passwords, so I did the usual ROMMON confreg 0x2142 so I could boot into IOS and enable mode.

I then used some tutorials online (all are the same steps) to restore the factory config file from the Flash disk to startup-config. This worked great, and when restarting the unit it loads the factory config, the network comes online and the attached phones boot. However, one of the last log entries during boot is;

PKI-6-AUTOSAVE: Running configuration saved to NVRAM

I am able to before this get into enable mode, as the password is blank, and a show running-config or show startup-config shows the factory default config which works.

However, as soon as the log entry above shows, it will lock me out of enable mode with a password I don't know, and if I do another confreg 0x2142 etc to get the enable password reset and restart if I do a show startup-config the config has completely reset to something blank.

I have since tried a write erase and confirming this, to delete everything from NVRAM, but for some unknown reason (never come across this before) it keeps overwriting the working config with something from NVRAM, which is really odd!

Has anyone had some experience with this, as the factory config works great, until somewhere it seems to be doing an AUTOSAVE and saving off into NVRAM (startup-config) a blank config with an unknown password!

Appreciate all of your help, thank you!
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

Can you post up a copy of the factory default config... just out of curiousity?
Don't recall IOS having an autosave config feature... if that's what the UC500
platform runs.

Regards
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to RichardParry

Premium Member

to RichardParry
said by RichardParry:

restore the factory config file from the Flash disk to startup-config.

What?!? There is no "factory config file" in flash. The Cisco default configuration is no config file at all -- i.e. the defaults are built into the IOS version. This is accomplished via "write erase"

It sounds like your router may have "Configuration Professional" installed. Which means the "default" username and password will be "cisco" once it's defaults are loaded.

[BTW, the UC500 series is functionally the same as an 1861. I'm not sure Cisco changed anything beyond the label.]
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to RichardParry

MVM

to RichardParry
@cramer
»uc500.com/going-back-fac ··· -default

Yeah, I'm trying to figure it out myself, but without a real UC500 to test on, well...

Regards

ua_hockey
join:2003-08-07
Columbus, OH

ua_hockey to cramer

to cramer
Actually, there IS a factory config file in flash, it is part of the UC software bundle that includes the phone loads, autoattendant, ringtones, etc... in addition to IOS. The easiest way to factory default the thing is to download the latest bundle and untar it to the flash. On my UC520, the factory config is called "UC520W-8U-4FXO-K9-factory-8.0.4.cfg" and it is sitting in the root of the flash. Copy that to startup-config and reload it. In addition, there is a lot of good information on the UC500s here: »uc500.com
RichardParry
join:2002-07-18
GB

RichardParry

Thank you - I actually managed to figure out what had happened. The default config file I was using wasn't the original factory one, despite the filename. It had been adjusted by British Telecom (BT) and they changed a number of config settings, including the enable passwords. I eventually got this sorted.

I have another issue with the unit now though which is bugging me, and I will post another thread in relation to this. Thanx for your prompt replies on this one!
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to RichardParry

MVM

to RichardParry
said by RichardParry:

The default config file I was using wasn't the original factory one, despite the filename. It had been adjusted by British Telecom (BT) and they changed a number of config settings, including the enable passwords.

Shucks and a whole lot of other 4letter explitives... Glad you got it figured out RichardParry.

Hope you kept a copy, especially if they're type 7 passwords. Never know when they may come in handy

Regards