Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rid0617

join:2003-07-20
Greer, SC
reply to mjordan

Re: can now may $7.99 a month?

Me too. The service is great but there is only so much money to go around right now

Ulmo

join:2005-09-22
Aptos, CA

How much of this price increase is assuming people don't get the notice of price increase, and therefore don't readjust their service level?

Boogeyman
Drive it like you stole it
Premium
join:2002-12-17
Seward, AK

1 recommendation

It looks like they are grandfathering the old prices in. I just checked my account and it said the $8.99 plan was no longer available and if I switched I wouldnt be able to get that price again. Leading me to believe that if I hadnt switched to streaming only I could have kept the $8.99 plan.
--
Im Your Boogeyman, Thats What I Am

MSauk
MSauk
Premium
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT
Reviews:
·Comcast

Yep people that are signed up now are grandfathered in Yeah for us.

Why downgrade then? Your plan is not changing price wise, only if you are new or change your plan now.
--
801 Images

mjordan

join:2002-05-08
Chicago, IL
reply to Boogeyman

if that's the case, then no reason to downgrade

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to MSauk

said by MSauk:

Yep people that are signed up now are grandfathered in Yeah for us.

Why downgrade then? Your plan is not changing price wise, only if you are new or change your plan now.

I was not grandfathered in. My price was going to go up in January.
I had been on the BD 3 out plan for around 2.5 years.

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
kudos:1
reply to rid0617

said by rid0617:

Me too. The service is great but there is only so much money to go around right now

ill be canceling, over a dollar? sure, heres why.

i had 1 dvd out at a time, most recently i got one with a damaged envelope i couldnt return. i called them up and they said theyd send the next one in my cue. 1.5 week later they still hadent shipped it. so i upgraded to the next one up just so i could get the dang envelope. so i go to downgrade this moring and BANG im hit with a price increase either way? i dont think so. they should have givin some sort of notice so people could adjust if they wanted too. im getting no where on the phone so im filing a bbb complaint, if that dont work, screw um ill cancel and never go back.

bottom line, they should have givin notice, and a buck isnt a buck when they charge sales tax.

plus increasing all tiers just to make streaming only look cheaper is a BS tactic.

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
reply to MSauk

This makes me glad I signed up for the 1 dvd a month plan a little short of 2 months ago. Mine still says its $8.99. I always found it an interesting service but took a while to take the plunge.
--
The new Sony rootkit-Using the ability to remove features you paid for. What's next? Boycott Sony products »[Rant] ps3 update = no more Linux

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
kudos:1
reply to Boogeyman

said by Boogeyman:

It looks like they are grandfathering the old prices in. I just checked my account and it said the $8.99 plan was no longer available and if I switched I wouldnt be able to get that price again. Leading me to believe that if I hadnt switched to streaming only I could have kept the $8.99 plan.

really? maybe im reading the email wrong, but the way i read it. its a price increase with no notice before hand.

Dear (...),

We want to let you know about two important changes to the Netflix service.

1. The price of your current plan is changing from $16.99 a month to $19.99 a month. This new price will be effective with your next billing statement on or after January 2, 2011, and will be referenced in your Membership Details. With your current plan you can both instantly watch unlimited TV episodes and movies on your computer or TV and receive unlimited DVDs by mail.

2. We now also offer a new $7.99 a month plan which lets you instantly watch unlimited TV episodes and movies on your computer or TV. This plan does not include any DVDs. All the titles you can watch instantly on your current plan are also available on this new plan, and as a reminder, not all titles on DVD are available to watch instantly. This new plan is available immediately – if you'd like to switch to this new plan at any time, simply visit Your Account.

Why the changes? Our selection of TV episodes and movies available to stream has grown dramatically, and as a result most members want us to deliver unlimited movies and TV episodes two ways: streaming instantly over the internet plus DVDs by mail. The price change will allow us to continue to offer the popular plan choice of unlimited TV episodes and movies streaming instantly along with unlimited DVDs. The new plan, which does not include DVDs, is a great option for the increasing number of members who only want to watch instantly. The $7.99 a month price reflects no DVD shipping costs on this plan.

We hope you're enjoying great TV shows and movies from Netflix, and that you'll continue to enjoy Netflix on whichever plan you choose. We realize you have lots of home entertainment options, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have any questions, please call us at 1-800-715-2146.

–The Netflix Team

says nothing about grandfathering, it does however say the plan is going up.

edit: added emphasis to effective date. ok i guess it IS notice in advance. but still, its dirty and underhanded to jack up the prices so the streaming only appears as a "value"

Augustus III
If Only Rome Could See Us Now....

join:2001-01-25
Gainesville, GA
reply to Boogeyman

said by Boogeyman:

The price of your current plan is changing from $8.99 a month to $9.99 a month. This new price will be effective with your next billing statement on or after January 2, 2011, and will be referenced in your Membership Details. With your current plan you can both instantly watch unlimited TV episodes and movies on your computer or TV and receive unlimited DVDs by mail.

nonsense. hmm wait im not currently paying them. my card was declined

dataice
Premium
join:2002-10-27
Crisfield, MD
Reviews:
·Charter
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to aaronwt

The e-mail I received said I would see a price increase starting in January. Some BBR users are claiming they are being grandfathered in under the old price. I've been a member on the one dvd out at a time plan for the past 2.5 years. Even with the price increase I still feel I am getting a great value, compared to what I pay for digital cable.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

I got the same thing. Mine's going from $13.99 to $14.99. Looks like I'll be using the hell out of it instead of keeping the discs for months at a time.

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2000-10-05
Seaside, CA
reply to dataice

I got that same email yesterday. My existing plan is going up.
--
This just in from the department of redundancy department...