wwdubbia
join:2002-06-03
Clinton, NY

wwdubbia to fifty nine

to fifty nine

Re: Need To Increase Selection

said by fifty nine:

said by pende_tim:

If their goal is to go to streaming only, they need to make everything on DVD available as a streaming offering.
Now the streaming is only, what, 10% of the DVD offerings?

The studios are not going to cannibalize their DVD sales.

that's what the music industry said about iTunes just a few short years ago. If the studios don't see streaming as THE next platform at this piont, they deserve what they get.

The overhead costs are so much lower with streaming.. no production costs, no postage, no brick and mortar, etc. Seems like a no brainer.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by wwdubbia:

said by fifty nine:

said by pende_tim:

If their goal is to go to streaming only, they need to make everything on DVD available as a streaming offering.

that's what the music industry said about iTunes just a few short years ago. If the studios don't see streaming as THE next platform at this piont, they deserve what they get.

The overhead costs are so much lower with streaming.. no production costs, no postage, no brick and mortar, etc. Seems like a no brainer.

Netflix doesn't sell individual licenses to individual movies or songs. iTunes does.

An unlimited subscription at $8/month shared among all of the studios and netflix taking its cut can't bring in the same revenue as one or more DVD purchases at $10-$15 per month.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by fifty nine:

An unlimited subscription at $8/month shared among all of the studios and netflix taking its cut can't bring in the same revenue as one or more DVD purchases at $10-$15 per month.

Yep. Maybe if Netflix charged $20 a month and all of that extra $12 went to the studios they MIGHT bite. Of course Netflix would lose a lot of subscribers if they did that.

88615298 (banned) to wwdubbia

to wwdubbia
said by wwdubbia:

said by fifty nine:

said by pende_tim:

Because a sizable potrion of the country either

A) Doesn't have access to anything other than dial-up

B) Only has access to under 3 Mbps broadband which is useless for streaming

C) Doesn't want intertnet even if they have access to it.

D) Doesn't want 3Mbps or more speed internet even if they have access to it. They are happy with their 768 kbps DSL.

E) Prefers using actual phsycial media.

You ingore A thru E and that's at least half the country.
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

I get about 2.70mbps download speed on my connection and I can stream movies from Netflix just fine.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by Madtown:

said by 88615298:

I get about 2.70mbps download speed on my connection and I can stream movies from Netflix just fine.

I doubt a family of 4 with multiple internet connected devices sharing that connection you would stream Netflix just fine. And you certainly can't stream HD just fine since the bitrate is as high as 3.8 Mbps.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

C..............

Most people don't watch HD. 3Mb/s is more than enough for SD. My girlfriend only has a 1.2Mb/s DSL connection. SD streams from Netflix with no issues. Although with the slow speed she only gets access to the three lower bitrates. But it typically streams the SD at the 1Mb/s bitrate which looks fine for SD.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by aaronwt:

said by 88615298:

C..............

Most people don't watch HD. 3Mb/s is more than enough for SD. My girlfriend only has a 1.2Mb/s DSL connection. SD streams from Netflix with no issues. Although with the slow speed she only gets access to the three lower bitrates. But it typically streams the SD at the 1Mb/s bitrate which looks fine for SD.

Yes why watch HD when you spend hundreds maybe over $1000 for a HDTV.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

1 recommendation

TechyDad

Premium Member

First of all, not everyone has a HDTV. I have SDTV's in my house and don't plan on buying a HDTV until my SDTV's break. So calling streaming useless because it doesn't deliver HDTV isn't applicable to everyone.

Secondly, most of Netflix's rentals are DVD, not Blu-Ray. So if you are getting DVD quality from streaming, you're not losing anything quality-wise.

Finally, even if there's a drop in quality there's a convenience factor involved. Sure, you might not be getting HDTV picture quality, but you're getting the movie the instant you want to see it instead of having to wait for the mail delivery or having to drive to the store to rent a copy. Convenience won't trump picture quality for all folks but it does for many people.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by TechyDad:

First of all, not everyone has a HDTV.

65% do

I have SDTV's in my house and don't plan on buying a HDTV until my SDTV's break. So calling streaming useless because it doesn't deliver HDTV isn't applicable to everyone.

I never said that. Quote me.

Secondly, most of Netflix's rentals are DVD, not Blu-Ray. So if you are getting DVD quality from streaming, you're not losing anything quality-wise.

What does one have to do wit the other? I don't rent DVDs. I hate to tell you but SD quality in a stream does not equate to DVD quality anyways. SD stream has 1.5 Mbps bitrate, DVD is 8 Mbps. HUGE difference.

Finally, even if there's a drop in quality there's a convenience factor involved. Sure, you might not be getting HDTV picture quality, but you're getting the movie the instant you want to see it instead of having to wait for the mail delivery or having to drive to the store to rent a copy. Convenience won't trump picture quality for all folks but it does for many people.

Once again has NOTHING to do with my post.