uniqs
share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

[Philly] Spectrum tear-down starts Tuesday

Festivities celebrating the old Spectrum start before Noon Tuesday.

»www.philly.com/philly/news/20101···RUM.html

Anyone who wants to see a wrecking ball begin to crush Philadelphia's beloved Spectrum should be in the parking lots adjacent to the South Philadelphia arena by mid-day Tuesday.

In a ceremony that is hailed as a "block party," complete with dollar hot dogs and sodas, the exterior walls of the arena that hosted thousands of Sixers and Flyers games and hundreds of rock and pop music concerts over the last 42 years will face a wrecking ball at noon, officials said.

Sports icons, Julius Erving of the Sixers and Bobby Clarke and Bernie Parent will be on hand and speeches will be delivered by Mayor Nutter, Comcast-Spectacor chairman Ed Snyder and others, officials said.

During the festivities, fans can place orders for commemorative bricks from the arena for $39.95, Richman said.

The parking lots around the Spectrum will open at 9 a.m. The demolition is expected to take about four months, Richman said. The Spectrum is to be replaced by Philly Live, a retail, restaurant and entertainment venue that is expected to be completed in 2012.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

You can watch it live here noon Tuesday.

»abclocal.go.com/wpvi/html5/liven···aid=null

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

I practically grew up in the place... Much like the destruction of the Vet, this greatly saddens me.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

Fitting...

»thekey.xpn.org/2010/11/philadelp···ng-ball/
--

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy

1 recommendation

reply to John97

said by John97:

I practically grew up in the place... Much like the destruction of the Vet, this greatly saddens me.

I still think they should have kept the Spectrum and with it the Phantoms in Philly and just gave it a remodel/refresh. Now there are no more pro stadiums with their own names, all corporate now. Even Ed Snyder said called the new building the Wells whatever its called now arena. How many times has it changed names now? Corestates, First Union, Wachovia and now Wells Fargo. In a few years its will be some other bank name with no character just like the building.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

said by Fir_Na_Tine:

I still think they should have kept the Spectrum and with it the Phantoms in Philly and just gave it a remodel/refresh. Now there are no more pro stadiums with their own names, all corporate now. Even Ed Snyder said called the new building the Wells whatever its called now arena. How many times has it changed names now? Corestates, First Union, Wachovia and now Wells Fargo. In a few years its will be some other bank name with no character just like the building.

I couldn't agree more. It was a great venue for concerts and such, and could have continued to be used for other things like college basketball, pay-per-view stuff, etc.
--

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to FFH

Some interior demolition photos... Very sad.

»www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3···55652327
--

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

Some recent photos...

»www.the700level.com/2011/02/new-···eal.html
--

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to FFH

Next step today - they collapse the roof at 2 P.M.
»www.philly.com/philly/news/20110···day.html

The roof of the arena is supposed to start collapsing this afternoon, after support beams are removed, according to Comcast-Spectacor spokesman Ike Richman.

Expect the tumbling to begin around 2 p.m. - a two-hour delay from an earlier estimate, Richman said.